IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bizzie progress!

BS Man about Palms

Took these photos 15 minutes ago, can't get much better than that for an up to date Bizzie report. I have two silver Bismarkia nobilis. Hope you enjoy, we've just had a shower so that adds to the palmbience (another word for the palm dictionary).

Front yard, lil' fella (for now)

bizziefront2_800.jpg

Back yard jungle, this one's been seen a few times on the board, he's opening a new frond in there, in the middle of winter too.

bizzieback1_800.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's a photo I took 2 year ago at the Cairns public pool area. Bizzie and a wonderful variegated pandanus.

post-51-1153531765_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

here is a repeat, but it is the palm that sells!! everybody who comes out to the farm wants one after seeing this!!!!

post-18-1153532358_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Kris in India  Since Madras is in the tropics, surely you must be able to grow just about anything you want.   Is Madras a tropical paradise?

Tad Your Bismarckia has grown phenomenally since I saw it in April 2004.  It must be one of the largest I have seen in TX.

I have one growing in my backyard here in Odessa  but I have to take extraordinary measures to protect it.  All the older leaves turn purple in the winter.

Odessa, TX  Z8a

NE edge Chihuahuan Desert

Alt 2800 ft

El Jardin de Quixote

thank you jim, i kow where a couple of others are that are bigger, 2 of them I moved for the owner but they dont take care of them. mine is also in a protected area

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

OK, Bismarckia nobilis is one of the most impressive palm species in existence perhaps third to only cocos nucifera and roystonea regia...elata. Easily the best fan palm in existance (although some licualas are pretty cool...). I have 2 very young ones planted in my back yard that currenly look like doo doo, but they have pushed out a couple of fronds each. I think that these will be the last palms standing in my yard after the next advective freeze. (oh, forgot about the queen....). Anyway, I have seen these palms in person and they are huge! Someone in the neighborhood has about 4 in their yard that are pretty much taking over the world.  I think the ones that I have planted will consume my house in the coming years!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

100_0707.jpg

has anyone seen this bismarkia at the s.d. zoo?is it the green form?

its awfully "limey"!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I kinda remember seeing that when I was there this month and I thought it was a green one, I didn't really see any silver or purple anywhere.

BS

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

i tried a green one in my yard & it died--i think from the cold last winter.

still "warning-free."

Dear wal,Palmotrafficate,Pohonkelapa your pictures on Biz is good and it has been a feast for all our members of this forum.

and iam replying to you guys immedietly just to encourage you and other members whow got lots of Biz pictures to share with us.

this post for few days now has beem like festive occasion & i along with other members had feast to our eyes.

Just keep it coming guys. i request active participation by other members of this forum to share pic and thoughts on the photos seen in this post !

And JimBiz thanks for the comment and i will try growing exocitic palms & cycas in India.(you are Encouraging)_thank you.

And Palmotrafficate i love your picture on biz and also your Pet .Give him my kiss.

And Wal should i say anything More_ (you are Great_Man) and that little Biz color is fantastic !

Thanks thanks...

One Man one tree

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Gahldurn, Wal!

The diff in the surroundings evident in your 1st photo here and the 2nd is amazing--absolutely AMAZING!  And it shwos that you are an even better "landscaper" than I'd thought.

That's the effect I'M trying to achieve:

1. HIDE THE NEIGHBORS

2. SEE A LUSH, TROPICAL TABLEAU in DOING so .....

Heartiest congrats!

I need to take a photo of a local Bismarkia planted beneath a big live oak.  Surprisingly, it's doing OK, with enormously long leaf stalks.

It's not  for nothing that Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden has Bismarkias near the old entrance, dominating the most formal part of the garden's grand landscape design--a cycad garden with a vista downhill to the lowland lakes.  

Legend has it that Martha Stewart visited and was amazed.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Matty, about how old is that one?

Bo, Thanks for that picture of the tall one, I've never seen one (in pictures or real life) that tall.

Wal & Krisachar, I know it's winter in Australia, but it's an oven all accross the U.S. Is your weather changing in an unpleasant way down there? It was 100 F. in my atrium at 9PM last night - UGH! It must be very hot where you are Krisachar.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Scott,

you're welcome! The photos I posted above were all taken on our property. Here's the tallest Bismarckia I've seen. It's right outside Palms of Paradise nursery on the outskirts of Hilo. I posted this photo on the old forum.

Bo

post-22-1153595005_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I don't have a picture of these palms.  But, if anyone is driving on highway 826 west of Miami International airport they planted all kinds of Bismarkias.  I noticed them when I was there in February.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Dave--

It's not legend.  MS was at Fairchild a few years ago, when Katherine Maidman was curator of palms there. I believe KM was on one of MS' shows.

Scott, I don't know how old that thing is.  I was just commenting on Dean's posting of it.

Now I'll have to say, "Oh, honey.  That's only that big 'cause it's in Hawaii.  Ours will only maybe get half that size."   ...and I probably won't be lying....verdad? ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Scott,

I don't know how old that is either. It is in Pauleen's garden on the Big Island.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Scott, Matt and Dean,

Well, that shouldn't be difficult to figure out. (And for the rest of you, who're probably totally confused at this point, this is in reference to Dean's photo in Post 17, which MattyB posted again in his response, Post 39). Jeff Brusseau is in the photo, and as far as I know, that had to be during the IPS Biennial in May 2004? Pauleen bought that property around 1990/1991, and only planted small palms in the beginning. So that Bismarckia probably went in the ground around 1992 as a fairly small plant. Maybe germinated around 1990, which would make it 14 years old, give it or take two months (OK, give or take a year then...) assuming the photo was taken in 2004.

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

As usual, all your facts are accurate.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

This thread has convinced me to purchase a Bismarkia. I have just the spot for it in a wide open corner of my backyard. I went to HD and they had a 15 gal for 93 bucks and a 25 gal for 200. A nursery also had quite a few for under 100. I think I will be purchasing at the nursery tomorrow.

Well, although my Bizzie can't compare with any of the fine specimens here, I thought to throw a couple pictures on.

I can't believe I still haven't planted him yet. but as I mentioned in previous threads, the need for more shade over the house has brought on an emergency Bambusa Oldhamii project.

100_2393.JPG

100_2394.JPG

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

The new spear - which I'm waiting for to open.

100_2395.JPG

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

bismarckias for nextspring!!!

post-18-1153613494_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Jul. 22 2006,20:11)

bismarckias for nextspring!!!

These are very nice looking. How many plants do you have all together?

bismarckias??? a couple of hundred not counting the last batch of seed, palms all together?!?!?!?! thousands!!!!

Abraham Lincoln

(Stan @ Jul. 22 2006,14:56)

Wal,what's the palm with the white trunk/brown rings?

That would be Veitchia joannis, there's another one on the right if you look closely. A great palm.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dear Scott

Iam from south india(Madras) here the temperature is around

98 to 102F for the past few days,but the oven effect that you mentioned which is prevailing in U.S. is not seen here at the moment.

that is from the month of july to december we experience mansoon rains but hot weather becomes mild warm not cool.

and after rains it becomes all the more sultery and the performance of the air-con also reduces drastically. the air-con drain vent excess water is sent out continously.

during this period  fungus infection accures in our plants_the white sponges appear in the leaves and mealy-bug etc.and as new leaves appear they all get easily infected.

And i have a question to all the members who is MS (Martha Stewart) i have heard this name but donot know who this is.

I think you answer would benefit all members from our side of the globe.(Asia)

And now to palmsGreat hey i thought you already had a biz because your user name suggests or speaks for itself that you are a palm lover how come you missed her(Biz) all these years ?

I also request all the Guests and passive members to join in this forum discussion.Because myself never liked chatting or joining forum to speak out my mind.

But Old Forum members like Wal,Steve,Dave,Scott,Bgl,Dypsis Dean,bobby,Kathy..........have made this forum discussion so interesting and lively that i was waiting that you members invite us(New Members)to join in and take up active participation.

So dear friends who are reading this post and if you are not a member kindly join in and your views on palms will be greatly appricieated by all the forum members.

This post might seem a little big but i must tell my heart out_my life has changed very much and iam glad i have more new friends from hawaii to Madagascar.

I also thank the adminastrators like robert lee & Daniel Lewis of this forum without whom i would not have seen or discussed about exocitic palm & cycas.

I love you guys. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

110 degrees in my yard under canopy today! i've lived in san diego my whole life & i don't remember it EVER being this hot!

still "warning-free."

At 9PM last night, it was 111F. in our Atrium - the heat being absorbed into the entire house from there. :o

Hey, if this heat keeps up mixed with the monsoonal stuff, maybe we can grow some Nucifera! :)

(You gotta get something positive out of it!)

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Yeah Kris the Biz is one that I wasn't sure if I could grow, but after seeing and reading a few things I should have it no later than Tue!Will post a pic once in ground.

(Robert Lee Riffle @ Jul. 24 2006,04:36)

Am I the only one who thinks post # 18 looks as much like a Latania as it does a biz?

agree.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Robert Lee Riffle @ Jul. 24 2006,04:36)

Am I the only one who thinks post # 18 looks as much like a Latania as it does a biz?

I'm a newbie, but I was wondering the same thing.

I posted this pic in the old forum, and I've got one of the crown I'll try to find, but here's my friend's bizzie trunk on the photo's left, and a slight showing of fronds in the upper left:  (actually this bizzie is now hurricane damaged, and I'm trying to get some updated pics for forum input....hopefully soon)

Keysbizzie.jpg

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

• 1 month later...

Well this thread is from way back and has a reply or two from RLR, but I thought I'd post a pic of the Bizzie, 2 more opened over Labor day.

post-27-1158044883_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear guys  :)

lovely pictures of my loved one_The Biz (undoubtly).

thanks for the pictures and if you have more do share.

love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I have pampered mine for almost seven years since I germinated it from seed. I always kept it overpotted in large containers. I ground planted it in my new landscape three years ago from a 90 gallon container. These things really crank out some growth when it's hot. The fence in the background is 6 feet tall for scale. I like keeping mine manicured by removing th oldest leaf boot right to the wood trunk. There are two at a beachfront home 4 blocks from me that are twice the overall size of mine. I can hardly wait till mine reaches those majestic proportions. Tim

aaaaapalms001.jpg

Temp025.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com