IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bizzie progress!

BS Man about Palms

Here is my Home Depot Bismarkia I put in the ground LAST spring. I just opened its first fan!   When I came home to find it last week, I was looking at it during dusk and I could HEAR it opening up!  WAY COOL! The first time I could HEAR growth! :)

The "blades" are now getting a "pink" tint to them, not sure what color it will stop at.

Bill

OKay- who can take an email of some pics and make them fit?  I got them down to just slightly too big. help?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

What size in bytes are we talking here ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

site allows 102,000 , I got down to 108,000 from 459,000.

(with my simple email reduction program, this works on most of my pics)

I had some offers to resize and post for me, I have sent the originals to Dean, he should post soon.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

E-mail me the pics and I'll shrink them for you.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Dear friends quickly find a solution to resize those images and

kindly upload those photos as soon as possible !

Since iam very crazy about 'Biz' and i have germinated one from seeds.so i cant wait to see that buety. :)

And i hope it is also a silver form as i have.

one man one tree..

Love,

Kris (from S.India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hey BS,

I bought one right before the summer (10 gal for $91) and planted it at the beginning of summer.  The bizzie is very fast.  It has 4 new fronds since.  Thank goodness that I read all the comments on this forum before planting it (big hole in ground mixed with perlites, full sum all day, moderate watering).

Here are Bill's pics"

One-

post-11-1153328924_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Looks healthy Bill, you should be home free with this nice hot summer were having.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

My observations My two cents

post-51-1153343514_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dean!  Thanks for the posting!!!

Wal!  Thats actually the street, and it gets better....I didn't know as much a year ago, so, its mostly in clay AND there are power lines above!   Not to mention the guy wires for support.  Not long after I planted I got the great idea to see about putting underground wires at somepoint. only my house, another and a streetlight are past the pole.  :(

But I like how it looks!  :P

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jul. 19 2006,23:19)

Dean!  Thanks for the posting!!!

Wal!  Thats actually the street, and it gets better....I didn't know as much a year ago, so, its mostly in clay AND there are power lines above!   Not to mention the guy wires for support.  Not long after I planted I got the great idea to see about putting underground wires at somepoint. only my house, another and a streetlight are past the pole.  :(

But I like how it looks!  :P

I'd move it now while I had the chance and season on my side. Dig a humungous clod with the palm so it won't be disturbed............. like I am :P

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thank you BS Man for shooting it and i also thank Dypsis Dean

for getting those Biz ready for the catwalk !  :)

But i have a doubt with biz colour,is it the green form of bismarkia nobilis since mine is not so big but my palm spears are purple in color moving towards white color spectrum..

Bs Man kindly clarify ?

I love you pals & if other members have more pictures of Biz in silver form kindly share with us.

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris (to all my friends out there).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Here's one of ours.

Bo

post-22-1153375819_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

A Big Thank-you to you too BGL.isn't she a beauty_Your Biz.

Keep up the good work ! :)

I see you are on online right now_Its around 11.30 A.M in the noon.S.India (Madras)

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Here's another for you.

post-11-1153377144_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

2005_0712_174603AA.jpg

heres my gal,the lovely angela,with a bizzie in flower.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

hai Dypsis Dean,

Thank you man, you guys are all terrefic !  :)

the request we made on biz is being fullfilled by you buddies at the speed of light.(May the Force Be With You)_from movie return of the sith.

And Bs Man sorry for using your post for requesting more of biz images. i think you understand our curiousity and craze for palms.

More Pictures of biz form members gardens or ranches Please.

But i thank those members in advance...

One Man One Tree..

Love you all,

Kris.(from S.India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

I guess it must be right after 12 noon (Thursday) in India now. Here in Hawaii it's a few minutes after 9 p.m. (21:00) Wednesday evening, so we're 15 hours behind you. Glad you liked the photo. These are great palms!

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(krisachar @ Jul. 20 2006,02:00)

But i have a doubt with biz colour,is it the green form of bismarkia nobilis since mine is not so big but my palm spears are purple in color moving towards white color spectrum..

Bs Man kindly clarify ?

I love you pals & if other members have more pictures of Biz in silver form kindly share with us.

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Here's my son under my largest Bismarck, photo is 18 months old though, but it's a neat photo.

No tree No me

post-51-1153385875_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bs Man kindly clarify ?

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris-

Its hard to notice in the pics, but there are bits of silver, red and purple all over the palm.   The new frond is even getting a pink tinge to it in spots, with the color changing almost daily!

From what I understand, the green ones are just green.  I do live near the coast, and that may be preventing some of the brightness...?

Bill

Wal- Nope, its staying right where it is, my record is very poor with transplants!!!  (Just pulled out a dead kentia transplanted 6-7 months ago)

Dear Wal the Picture Is Cool and i love cycas too, you have terrefic taste for all the good things of life ! i.e  i see zamia furcerecea near your biz. and convey my regards to your son,he looks like tom hanks and seems to me he is meditating inside tropical heavens ,making research in vedantha to attain maha peri nirvana which may indians are trying in the lower himalayan mountain ranges of badhari,rashikash & gurushala..

Love all photos on Biz and you guys have reatteriated that iam not alone in palmMania,which is making us all go gaga !

And from your slogan we understand how much love you have for plants. :)

I feel that earth is still in safe hands like you,their is a saying one who loves music,one who loves plants,one who loves animals & Art in certainly Sane.(Indian Proverb).

Thank you,Thank you...

Love you all who are out there !

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jul. 20 2006,09:29)

From what I understand, the green ones are just green.

I saw a green one at the Leu Gardens which I fell in love with. I believe there was something to it that almost made up for the fact that it was just green. It was far more robust and HUGE than the silver forms at the same place.

I have a silver form on the ground and it's starting to go palmate, on its 10th leaf I believe. I germinated it last year. Its sister is still in a pot but the first couple of leaves are curly and I noticed yesterday the last leaves are turning a fatigue green color rather than purple/blue (is growing in afternoon shade too). Is it possible I have a green form? How to distinguish between the two as small seedlings?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

(Dypsisdean @ Jul. 20 2006,02:32)

Kris,

Here's another for you.

WOW! SPECTACULAR!  Both of your palms are awsome!

(Wal @ Jul. 20 2006,04:57)

Bs Man kindly clarify ?

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Here's my son under my largest Bismarck, photo is 18 months old though, but it's a neat photo.

No tree No me

Nice!

Hey Wal, is that a firewheel tree right next to your bizzie?

Here is my biggest bismark 5 years from seed, love these palms. Also have another 400 siblings in 12 gallon bags

post-78-1153411642_thumb.jpg

hi viverola,

those pictures are nice,but would have been better if it was slightly bigger in size.

this is fentastic that all members having biz have quickly reacted to this post. i love that attitude.

and guys please mention your biz age and wheather the picture is current or old.

you guys have made my adrilene pump like hell ! my heart is currently running with Nox and not blood,due to your pictures.and i know how proud you are of our bueties.it looks like a peacock dancing to attract its Mate.

And i have no words but my love for my biz has increased in leaps & bounds after looking at your well maintained palms.

Thank you Viverola...

one man one tree.

Kris (S.India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

2005_0712_174644AA.jpg

lets try this again...no angela this time.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

convey my regards to your son,he looks like tom hanks and seems to me he is meditating inside tropical heavens ,making research in vedantha to attain maha peri nirvana.

Exactly, how did you guess ?

Hey Wal, is that a firewheel tree right next to your bizzie?

Not fair, who are you and where are you ? and yes it is a firewheel tree, come on fess up.

Here's a better shot

post-51-1153428896_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's another Bismarckia shot, and there are actually a total of five in this photo, but one (more or less in the middle) is partly hidden.

Forgot to add the photo.... Here it is!

post-22-1153470350_thumb.jpg

BGL i love you man,the post 34 with all the Biz and a queen sago if iam not mistaken has bowled me over once again...

Note : visiting this forum has become a holy ritual of some kind.

like visiting rishi kesh,badhari or kasi.

this forum & its estemed members are hot and their love for palms is awe inspiring !

thank you, thank you...

one man one tree

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Thank you, and the cycad is actually an Encephalartos. I have been informed by Anders Lindstrom (cycad expert at Nong Nooch Tropical Garden in Thailand) that it is an E. paucidentatus.

Bo

I have been informed by Anders Lindstrom (cycad expert at Nong Nooch Tropical Garden in Thailand) that it is an E. paucidentatus.

One way to confirm is if it (a) has few spines (teeth, ergo "paucidentatus") along the edges of the leaflets and (B) there are mulitple little ridges running the length of the underside of the leaflets.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Oh shnap! I better move my garage. :laugh:

post-126-1153517201_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt,

Wasn't your line to the honey when she was questioning the size of a green Bizzie something like.

"No babe, don't worry, we have the silver variety. They're only half that big."

Kona, on The Big Island