IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anybody grow blue jubaea chilensis?

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

I have a couple of 15 gallon blue jubaea chilensis palms, and I was wondering if the blue ones have different cultivation requirements. They are similar to the green ones in appearance but the leaf texture is different and there seems to be more glaucous covering on them. Do they require drier conditions?

3644a8cf-a277-482e-bae9-38b6824bb26d_zps

a4401261-236a-4d80-9b6a-46247133999b_zps

I've been trying to find pictures of more mature specimens in California, and Google isn't coughing up any. I know there is a blue one in Mission Bay, but I've not seen any photos of it. Even the "blue" photo on the RPS website isn't exactly blue. Does anyone know of any?

A lot of people, including myself have germinated seeds from that particular palm. None of them are old enough (as far as I know) to have developed that color, at least yet. Then there's the issue of how much cross pollination is going on between all the Jubeas down there. There's a bunch of them, all flowering at pretty much the same time. It's a neat looking palm; pretty distinct from the others. I guess I just always assumed it was just some variation in the species. Yours looks really nice.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Some palmtalkers have posted pictures of mature specimens that were blue. I recall at least one in Spain or Italy, with something like 20 meters of trunk.

I don't think the cultivation requirements are any different. I've had blue ones and they're the same as regular common green from what I can tell. (I parted with them because others wanted them and were willing to offer great things in return.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is the bluest Jubaea I've seen in person. It's located in Bordighera, Italy. This pic was taken with nice evening light. During the day it looks less blue. Also, the blue tinge seems to be mostly on one side of the fronds (the underside? difficult to say with the leaves held like that).

post-6290-0-78515300-1406748040_thumb.jp

post-6290-0-44825200-1406748081_thumb.jp

Flo

Thanks Flo! I remember one that was even bluer, maybe on an overcast day?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've been trying to find pictures of more mature specimens in California, and Google isn't coughing up any. I know there is a blue one in Mission Bay, but I've not seen any photos of it. Even the "blue" photo on the RPS website isn't exactly blue. Does anyone know of any?

Axel-

is there anything else I can do to make your life 100x better ?

14640175055_016db99f15_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Axel-

is there anything else I can do to make your life 100x better ?

14640175055_016db99f15_b.jpg

Thanks, that will do for now, Rob! Awesome pictures, I assume that's the famous blue jubaea of San Diego's Mission Bay, right?

thats the blue - you really need to be there with the other 15 adult jubs to see that it is a different color - its more blue /green.

AND ANYONE WHO WANTS SEEDS FROM IT - A STORM HIT THIS WEEKEND AND THERE ARE SEEDS ON THE GROUND RIPE FOR THE PICKIN !

Edited by trioderob

I have one blue one in my grove, I treat it exactly like the green ones.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I believe the bluest one in California is at LA Arboretum.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I'm growing two 'blue' ones and three green ones here in Dallas and I treat them all them same. The blue ones are definitely growing faster- about 2x faster than the regular green ones- I really like the blue variety.

I'm growing two 'blue' ones and three green ones here in Dallas and I treat them all them same. The blue ones are definitely growing faster- about 2x faster than the regular green ones- I really like the blue variety.

You have to be careful, there are natural butia jubaea crosses floating around and they also lead to blue specimens. You can tell you have a hybrid when the speed is much faster. I have several blue jubaea plants that I've labeled as hybrid because of that. You can also tell a little by the boots. I can't speak for yours, you may have real blue ones but I don't find them faster, if anything they may be slower because it's glaucous covering that makes them bluish and thus slows down photosynthesis.

Axel, yours look blue. The pictures of the bigger ones, not so much. Looks like something they grow out of to me. But maybe we just need better pictures.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I know pictures can be deceiving, but I am not seeing a whole lot of blue above normal. Is the difference very subtle or are the pictures just not reflecting it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I know pictures can be deceiving, but I am not seeing a whole lot of blue above normal. Is the difference very subtle or are the pictures just not reflecting it.

I have the regular green jubaea and it's green, there is no glaucous covering on the petioles, not even remotely. Keith, do you actually grow a jubaea so that you can make this observation?

Axel, yours look blue. The pictures of the bigger ones, not so much. Looks like something they grow out of to me. But maybe we just need better pictures.

Quite the contrary, they grow more into it. Because it's just a glaucous powder covering the leaves, it's hard to actually catch it on camera, This isn't something you can understand from pictures or books, you have to actually have real life experience with jubaea like growing them and looking at mature specimens in person to appreciate what a blue jubaea is.

The following is no substitute for direct experience, but it's a good read. Phil from Jungle Music wrote a good article on this: http://www.junglemusic.net/Chilean_Wine_Palm_Tree/jubaea_chilensis_palm_tree.html. But none of his pictures show any good blue ones really well. He writes:

If you read extensively about the Chilean Wine Palm, you will see reference to a blue form. There is discussion that in the most northern native habitats, the Jubaea are more of a blue color, rather than green. This blue-green color is sometimes seen in plants in botanical gardens or private collections. And, enthusiasts often try to seek of the "blue" Jubaea. At the onset, let me first guarantee you that there is no Jubaea that is blue like a Brahea armata or Bismarckia. But, there are some with a blue tinge to the green leaves. I have read comments that the blue variety might have a thinner trunk or more dependent leaves. Below are a series of photographs of a specimen Jubaea in the Mission Bay Park area of San Diego. This plant is often used to describe the prototype "blue" Chilean Wine Palm. The third picture (seen elsewhere in this article) is a close up of some green seeds. If you look at the foliage, you can definitely see the blue color. The photo of a grouping of many Jubaea at Mission Bay shows the blue plant next to a lot of mature green specimens. The "blue" one is the farthest plant to the left in the corner. You be the judge as to how different appearing the blue variety actually is.

I have the regular green jubaea and it's green, there is no glaucous covering on the petioles, not even remotely. Keith, do you actually grow a jubaea so that you can make this observation?

I have seen Jubs in person. I do not grow them. Re-read my statement above and note I was referring to pictures as often being deceiving and that was the basis of my observation. I just asked a simple question. Your simple answer without the slam at the end would have been sufficient. Chill buddy, I did not challenge your blueness.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have seen Jubs in person. I do not grow them. Re-read my statement above and note I was referring to pictures as often being deceiving and that was the basis of my observation. I just asked a simple question. Your simple answer without the slam at the end would have been sufficient. Chill buddy, I did not challenge your blueness.

sorry Keith, it wasn't meant as a slam. I was wondering if you had a jubaea, because the difference between the green one and the blue one is so subtle.

I have a screaming baby attached to me right now, it's probably making my posts a little more edgy. :)

I have a screaming baby attached to me right now, it's probably making my posts a little more edgy. :)

Its all good, you have some company in edginess on PT, myself included.,

• Upvote 1

I guess I am trying to say that this blue versus green jubaea is so freakin' subtle that you sorta have to be a jubaea nut to be into it. In the end, I think there is a dark green version and a light green version, both produce some amount of glaucous covering, but the lighter green one produces more and can look more blue in the right light. So can you call this version "blue"? I don't know, I'd say it's a stretch, cameras are barely able to catch it, and if my wife looked at them, she'd just say that it's only the few palm nuts of the world that could actually tell the difference. :)

There are subtle differences between the "Blue" or "Silver" Jubaea at Mission Bay Park and the "Green" ones - but it's just that. Noticeable, but subtle, and often exaggerated. They're all really nice, stout palms though.

Edited by Sabal Steve

I guess I am trying to say that this blue versus green jubaea is so freakin' subtle that you sorta have to be a jubaea nut to be into it. In the end, I think there is a dark green version and a light green version, both produce some amount of glaucous covering, but the lighter green one produces more and can look more blue in the right light. So can you call this version "blue"? I don't know, I'd say it's a stretch, cameras are barely able to catch it, and if my wife looked at them, she'd just say that it's only the few palm nuts of the world that could actually tell the difference. :)

Not true.

The Blue Jubaea I saw at the Arboretum is the color of a silver Bizmarkia, nothing subtle about it. It is the only one I have see I consider true blue. Others can be more subtle. My blue Jubaea is super blue on the underneath of the leaves and more green on the top, this is more typical of blue Jubaea and what the Mission Bay plant exhibits.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Axel, what about the Jubaea at the Catholic church grounds off Mission Street in Santa Cruz ?

San Francisco, California

Not true.

The Blue Jubaea I saw at the Arboretum is the color of a silver Bizmarkia, nothing subtle about it. It is the only one I have see I consider true blue. Others can be more subtle. My blue Jubaea is super blue on the underneath of the leaves and more green on the top, this is more typical of blue Jubaea and what the Mission Bay plant exhibits.

Are you talking about the Jubaea X Butia at the LA Arboretum? Because that's the only one that is blue-silver like a bismarckia at the LA arboretum. That's what I tried to say earlier in this thread, there are totally blue-silver jubaea but they are actually jubaea x butia. The pure jubaea at the LA arboretum is definitely not blue like a bismarckia, see last photo below from PalmPedia.

1) jubaea x butia from the LA arboretum, I have a bunch of seedlings from that guy. (Photo is from Jungle Music). http://www.junglemusic.net/careandcommon.asp?id=2829. The boots on that guy are probably fallen off by now, so it looks totally like a jubaea.

jubaea%20x%20butia%20laa%20(large).jpg

2) pure jubaea, not so blue, is it? (Photo is linked from PalmPedia)

337px-Jubaea_LA_arb.jpg

No, I know a hybrid when I see one.

The blue Jubaea I am referring is silver blue, just awesome. But that one you posted is not the one, it is not at the part of the garden where I saw the blue one.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Where did you see the blue one? I've never seen a picture of it.

the blue ones look better.

but there are 2 other factors that are more important

1) is the Jub "PIN HEADED" - that form does not look as good as the ones that are fuller

2) is the Jub "fat" ? - they are extremely more impressive if they are massively trucked in girth

I don't like the pinheaded jubaea, I've seen them, looks terrible.

I still want to see that silver jubaea that Gary is talking about, I don't believe it exists, but proof will convince me otherwise. :)

you must not know Gary.

if he tells you it was Silver you can believe it.

Shhht, I am trying to get him to cough up a picture.

In all honesty, so far, I've seen nothing to prove the existence of a truly blue jubaea. The only truly blue-silver ones I've ever seen always turn out to be a jubaea x butia, and some of these crosses can really take on a form that masquerades as a pure jubaea.

Here is another PalmTalk thread with the best close up pics of the pseudo-blue Mission Bay specimen: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5745-jubaea-chilensis-blue/.

I recall seeing a few of the silver/blue/gray Jubaea palms on what was the Madam Gana Walska (sp) estate garden in Santa Barbara. Anybody else remembers seeing them also?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I recall seeing a few of the silver/blue/gray Jubaea palms on what was the Madam Gana Walska (sp) estate garden in Santa Barbara. Anybody else remembers seeing them also?

There is one there at the edge of the blue garden that has an "edge" of blue. Al, is that the one you are talking about. This one, like the other "blue" ones, it's only mildly glaucous. Picture is from Dave's Garden: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2543/ another great Geoff Stein article.

ad1d10.jpg

The "blue" Jubaea at Mission Bay looks like a pure Jubaea, just with a different coloration. If you notice, it gets fungal spotting on the leaves, whereas none of the other Jubs down there do.

The "blue" Jubaea that I got at one of the PSSC banquets is turning out to look more like a Jubaea x Butia, with those recurved, V-shaped, fronds.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

That's an interesting observation Matty. One of the two blue ones that I have has some fungal spotting. This reminds me that I've gotten several warnings from Norcal growers a few years ago to avoid the blue form because it's more fungal prone. I'll take my chances, I've got the green one already, we'll have to see how the blue one fares. I will plant it up the hill where the drainage is better.

Axel, what about the Jubaea at the Catholic church grounds off Mission Street in Santa Cruz ?

We have hundreds of seedlings propagated from that tree, they're 15 gallons now. The Santa Cruz Mission tree is green but with glaucous petioles and glaucous leaf undersides. I'd call it gray-green but not blue. I have one tree in the ground.

I have a couple of 15 gallon blue jubaea chilensis palms, and I was wondering if the blue ones have different cultivation requirements. They are similar to the green ones in appearance but the leaf texture is different and there seems to be more glaucous covering on them. Do they require drier conditions?

3644a8cf-a277-482e-bae9-38b6824bb26d_zps

a4401261-236a-4d80-9b6a-46247133999b_zps

I pretty much think so...

lets mellow out this thread...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Syd_BUbl5A

I don't know what the hell that thing is, but it scares me somehow.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

That's cute. Did you know those things are the only mammal that is venominous? Sadly enough, the domesticated trade is threatening the wild populations because they're being poached out of habitat.