IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My BJxB Hybrid

SailorBold

Here is a pic of my BJXB Hybrid palm I planted in Spring of this year. The palm has grown 2 full leaves and currently opening the third.

post-8989-0-56988100-1406443625_thumb.jp

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

And here is another- My apologies.. I am still working on the landscaping but wanted to get this tree into place. The soil is a very sandy loam.

There is variability between the two with this palm taking on more Jubaea characteristic.

post-8989-0-75563300-1406444525_thumb.jp

Nice, where in NM. ....did you get from Patrick? Should be a solid 8b monster Butia.

Since Butia are slow and Jubaea are slow does this mean the hybrid will be slow....or does hybrid vigor result in faster growth than either parent?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I figured that cross would look just like a Butia, but they definitely don't. Cool.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Very cool. I've often wondered how one of these would do in my climate. They'll thrive in yours. What zone are you?

I'm in the Albuquerque area- 7b/8a. I got the palms from Patric. Im not quite 8b although it happens on occasion but I am optimistic with siting and my aggregate choices...with the dry climate. If a filifera can survive a 50/100 year freeze here... I figure it is worth a shot. This is all new stuff....and exciting.

I don't know of anyone trying these Hybrids in the ABQ area so we will see. I have a couple Butia that are growing quickly in their second year... and a few needle palms.. however, for being newly planted a few months they are growing fast even quicker than the Butia last season. I have been watching splits on older leaf bases and they are expanding notably.

They certainly are different.. I am amazed by the men that have done this.. that's a lot of work and brilliant also.

Nice to meet you...

Yes, If you are going to zone push....better you are in an area that is dry. Nannorrhops richiana might be one to try as well...the arabica form is really nice. How bout Brahea species as well.

My front yard is a new project and all of the plantings are new... it is def. on the list.. and I do like the blue palms for sure. I did put a brahea armata in early summer and so far so good- it is growing after transplant.

post-8989-0-08910000-1406594736_thumb.jp

Thank you for the link...I think I am now interested in trying another tree. lol

Now I will begin my quest in making a difficult choice between:

Mule palm

Butia x PC

J X S

I have one prime location.

BxPC is hardy here in California but I've heard negative reports once you head towards 9a. JxS is an interesting palm, a better bet than BxPC in colder Winter climates, and a mule should be the hardiest. So pick by the amount of risk you're willing to take. You will get more survivability if you're willing to cluster palms together so they grow into each other. In that case, BxPC and the mule are far more compatible in a cluster as far as appearance goes.

See I would assume the J x S would be a hardier than a B x S.. with a thicker trunk as well..

Your first hybrid looks pretty robust-- thicker looking leaflets spaced a bit wider apart. A really nice looking cross. How old are those?

Interesting to see Butias , Jubaeas and their hybrids being pushed out of their comfort zones. I've always liked the look of these feather palms-- would make an awesome contrast to the Phoenix's that are available here in the Philippines.

I've never seen a Jubaea growing or even sold here. Butias are sometimes offered but are expensive and are always at a very small size --so I wonder if they actually survive past the seedling stage.

Has anyone tried any of the hybrids in a more tropical setting???

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Tropical zone pushing......was actually thinking of starting a thread that talked about warm and hot zone pushing for more temperate palms and plants. I would imagine some of the newest Butia crosses involving more tropical Syagrus and Butia species might work better in the tropics.

Setting aside hardiness (not a concern for any of these here) - I have a JxS, BxPC, and mules. The former two are seedlings from Patric. I think the JxS is the most visually appealing, if it ends up looking anything like Gary Levine's. I can already see how the BxPC growth rate sets itself apart however...very fast.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Tropical zone pushing......was actually thinking of starting a thread that talked about warm and hot zone pushing for more temperate palms and plants. I would imagine some of the newest Butia crosses involving more tropical Syagrus and Butia species might work better in the tropics.

Yup-- but I was hoping for the "chunky" look of the Jubaea mixed in the genes of the cross-- wishful thinking.

I am trying out Trachycarpus wagnerianus and they are doing OK in pots. I planted a few in the ground and they died a slow death. I am down to my last 2 Trachys now and I really have to figure out their requirements before risking trying them in the ground again. Also have a couple of Trithrinax campestris but I still don't dare putting them in the ground.

I think I'll try investing in Butias the next time I see them for sale-- see if I can push them out of their comfort zone.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I am always confused by this also.....If it is the resultant offspring of a Butia and Jubea then wouldn't it be F1....if that offspring self fertilized and had babies wouldn't this be a BxJ F2?

I thought F2, F3 etc. were self fertilized.

Ok, I was right he has an BJ F2, same with me but mine has wider leaves than the one in the picture, most likely since mine is growing in more shade than full sun.

F1 and F2 Hybrids If a palm tree is cross-pollinated by hand and the resulting hybrid seed is sprouted and grown into a tree, this tree is known as a F1 hybrid. If this F1 hybrid grows and reaches sexual maturity, it will produce its own seed. If this seed is successfully sprouted and grown, the resulting tree is known as an F2 hybrid. Essentially, an F2 palm hybrid is one that was grown from seed collected off an existing hybrid.
Source: http://www.seabreezenurseries.com/HybridPalmTreesModifyingNature.html

Roger, assuming BJxB = (BxJ)xB, then BJxB = (BxJ)F2 if it's self pollinated, but it would be a different hybrid if the butia pollen came from a different species than the original. In other words all the 'B's need to be the same species of butia.

At the very least it sounds like BJxB is self fertile and produces great offsprings, especially from the look of it.

Look, I created alphabet soup. :)

F1 and F2 Hybrids

If a palm tree is cross-pollinated by hand and the resulting hybrid seed is sprouted and grown into a tree, this tree is known as a F1 hybrid. If this F1 hybrid grows and reaches sexual maturity, it will produce its own seed. If this seed is successfully sprouted and grown, the resulting tree is known as an F2 hybrid. Essentially, an F2 palm hybrid is one that was grown from seed collected off an existing hybrid.

F1 and F2 Hybrids

If a palm tree is cross-pollinated by hand and the resulting hybrid seed is sprouted and grown into a tree, this tree is known as a F1 hybrid. If this F1 hybrid grows and reaches sexual maturity, it will produce its own seed. If this seed is successfully sprouted and grown, the resulting tree is known as an F2 hybrid. Essentially, an F2 palm hybrid is one that was grown from seed collected off an existing hybrid.

Axel wouldn't a (BxJ)xB be hand pollinated even though the mama is a hybrid and thus be an F1. Doesn't the above explanation from Seabreeze say this? Only self-fertilized offspring of an F1 is an F2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Indeed the one specimen growing on this black grit looks closer to Butia while the other one looks closer to Jubaea! But I have observed on hybrids within genus Phoenix that with age most hybrids come closer in appearance, I wonder if this rule applies also on South American hybrids...

Considering the really cold temps you experienced end of last and earlier this year, those look great. Very promising. I would think any damage would have manifested itself by now. Plant away bub.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Indeed the one specimen growing on this black grit looks closer to Butia while the other one looks closer to Jubaea! But I have observed on hybrids within genus Phoenix that with age most hybrids come closer in appearance, I wonder if this rule applies also on South American hybrids...

It will be interesting to see how they progress, yes. They are back crossed with Butia..so I'm guessing they will look similar to Mr. Richard Douglas' hybrid with more of a Butia influence. His palm is phenomenal!

Considering the really cold temps you experienced end of last and earlier this year, those look great. Very promising. I would think any damage would have manifested itself by now. Plant away bub.

Tim

Thanks Tim... Judging by the cold they experienced..at this smaller size and establishment period.. they still have a thumbs up. I don't know if they will be like washingtonia here in terms of cold tolerance... but worth the trial for sure.

I was looking at the pics.. and now just realized I had my flash on when I took those photos.. the color looks a bit off! Im still working on figuring this damn thing out.. I set the flash to on instead of automatic- argh. They be green. Funny thing is I may have done this all along.

Oy. Almost spring..