IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Puttin' those worms to work (whopish!) that's a tiny whip sound

MattyB

I've got a worm bin that all our kitchen scraps go into. It's a stackable system that sits suspended above a catch basin with a valve where you can drain the leachate "juice" that collects below. I've read contradicting viewpoints on whether or not you should use this leachate on your plants. I guess the danger is that it could potentially contain alcohol and other bad jujus (scientifical term) that could harm your plants.

I used to drain the leachate into a bucket and then dilute it down and water things with it, but I was afraid it might hurt some things so I stopped.

Lately I've been using the leachate again. I'm on the juice man! This time I've just been leaving the valve open and letting the leachate drip down into a bucket slowly, over time. After a day or two I add water to the bucket, dilute it down to the color of iced tea, and go water things. I kinda thought that any alcohol might evaporate by letting it drip into the bucket over time as opposed to draining it all out at once.

Any thoughts on this worm bin stuff? Axel?

post-126-0-29908600-1406224808_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The alcohol is evaporated. The juice contains tiny pieces of organic materials that can work their way down through your soil. Don't see a down side to your juicing.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I've got a worm bin that all our kitchen scraps go into. It's a stackable system that sits suspended above a catch basin with a valve where you can drain the leachate "juice" that collects below. I've read contradicting viewpoints on whether or not you should use this leachate on your plants. I guess the danger is that it could potentially contain alcohol and other bad jujus (scientifical term) that could harm your plants.

I used to drain the leachate into a bucket and then dilute it down and water things with it, but I was afraid it might hurt some things so I stopped.

Lately I've been using the leachate again. I'm on the juice man! This time I've just been leaving the valve open and letting the leachate drip down into a bucket slowly, over time. After a day or two I add water to the bucket, dilute it down to the color of iced tea, and go water things. I kinda thought that any alcohol might evaporate by letting it drip into the bucket over time as opposed to draining it all out at once.

Any thoughts on this worm bin stuff? Axel?

Some folks will always find something to worry about. I have seen concerns in the past about heavy metals when doing vermicomposting.. But since worms cannot actually create metals, it would be the same metals that would be there if you had just composted the stuff without the worms and spread over the garden. I would just use the stuff diluted with water and move on.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Worms cannot create metal? No wonder that bronze plaque I ordered is taking so long.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Heavy metals are not created. The use of activated sewer sludge can add heavy metals to the soil. Organic material in the soil can lock up some heavy metals and keep them from being taken up by the plants. I read this in the text book link that Keith posted awhile back regarding organic material in soil.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Was just thinking, anything with heavy metals would probably be good to use on any palms you have that come from and do well in serpentine soils. Doesn't that sound logical. Maybe that would help speed up growth on that Copernicia cowellii some of you are trying to grow. Your thoughts?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!