IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Around my garden

Neel

Since I took a much needed vacation this week, I caught up on my yard work..even in this hot weather. Thought I would post some pics around the garden. Though not as exciting as what others on this board can grow, I'm still pleased with how things are turning out, given the limitations of what has been able to grow out here.

It's been a year since I got the b. alfredii. They seem to have survived the winter. The second one seems to be a little more greener and has also grown a little faster than the first one. Both get equal amounts of sun and are in similar locations; the first one's soil tends to stay moist longer. Can't wait for these to really take off.

post-268-0-62134600-1406156872_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-22276400-1406156881_thumb.jpg

Butia capitata has really taken off. Was a slow grower the first year in the garden, but it seems to really like it's location now.

Robellini are really getting large as well. I've always preferred to have them as singles rather than groups of 3...probably the reason why they seem larger.

post-268-0-85965400-1406157050_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-28924800-1406157061_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neel

Giving a second try with the dypsis decaryi. Triangles are my favorite, and though I lost a large one a few years back, I'm hoping this time will be the charm.

post-268-0-42291400-1406157177_thumb.jpg

Butia capitata has really taken off. Was a slow grower the first year in the garden, but it seems to really like it's location now.

Robellini are really getting large as well. I've always preferred to have them as singles rather than groups of 3...probably the reason why they seem larger.

Agree with the Robellini in singles, Butia looks great.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

If you can grow P. roebs then you can grow a lot more things than I. What are your low temps there?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Looks good so far any more pics ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Giving a second try with the dypsis decaryi. Triangles are my favorite, and though I lost a large one a few years back, I'm hoping this time will be the charm.

I am surprised you lost a Triangle. Was it due to cold and just how cold does it get there?

I'm trying one up here. Most winters we don't get below 30 so hopefully it's a multi-year endeavor.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I'm not sure what the lowest temps here are since I haven't actually measured yet but I'm thinking we are probably a 9a? Although since I'm further into the foothills than the rest of the city, we have bit of a microclimate here that keeps us cooler, and I'm in somewhat of a valley surrounded by mountains.

The problem here is the winds. Since i'm in the mouth of the canyon (see picture below), we get pretty gusty wind almost non stop from sundown to sun up in the fall-winter season. Thus, many palms I've tried end up looking like trash. One guy has a large beautiful foxtail about three streets up; I wasn't so lucky. I've seen others grow kings and majesties as well. However, I think my location is too windy for a king to look it's best.

The only other stuff I have is a brahea armata and two queens (yawn). I kind of regret putting those when I moved...if I knew about mules or bizzy's back then, I would have tried something more exciting, but I don't have the resources to remove those queens anytime soon.

post-268-0-35650200-1406250797_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-85007500-1406250809_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neel

benr7132,

here are the pics from my old triangle. It started out looking real good. Then over the years, the bottom started to rot and the whole tree was leaning over. I tried to secure it, but it reached a point where it just couldn't stand on its own. It might have been from overwatering; didn't realise how dry these things have to be kept. Another thing I noticed was the very shallow roots when we dug it up; perhaps something was eating them as well. The soil was also a little too porous and it was planted high with some roots showing, so all of these might have contributed to it's demise. I'm hoping the location in the backyard this time works better and i've been more careful about how I planted it. Just sucks I have to wait another so many years till it reaches a good height. How I get impatient!

I doubt it gets under 30 deg here. I know we never get frost because it is always breezy here in the winter months.

post-268-0-53703300-1406251115_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-58881500-1406251123_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-43926500-1406251130_thumb.jpg

benr7132,

here are the pics from my old triangle. It started out looking real good. Then over the years, the bottom started to rot and the whole tree was leaning over. I tried to secure it, but it reached a point where it just couldn't stand on its own. It might have been from overwatering; didn't realise how dry these things have to be kept. Another thing I noticed was the very shallow roots when we dug it up; perhaps something was eating them as well. The soil was also a little too porous and it was planted high with some roots showing, so all of these might have contributed to it's demise. I'm hoping the location in the backyard this time works better and i've been more careful about how I planted it. Just sucks I have to wait another so many years till it reaches a good height. How I get impatient!

I doubt it gets under 30 deg here. I know we never get frost because it is always breezy here in the winter months.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Well, it will be interesting to see how mine does. It's an experiment so I fully expect to lose it, though I will protect it with Christmas lights. I'm watering the heck out of it now and it is going gangbusters, went from slightly wobbly in spring when I planted it to totally locked in. We'll see.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I had to look up where Clayton is, and I see it's little inland from Bay Area. I think you got a good shot at it, just try to keep it dry, especially in the winter since it isn't as dry up there as here. Keep us posted with pics on the progress.

Looks great Neel; those Beccariophoenix are going to be sweet...With your climate, you need a Bismarkia as well. Guys in Beaumont grow them like crazy & they have lots of wind.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

If you wanted, you could buy a cheap chainsaw and chop those queens up. Or even a hatchet if you really wanted to be a barbarian. If you watered the stump it would rot away. I'd toss em' those planters look really nice.

@Bret, your right. I used to think Bismarkias were pretty tender for So Cal, but now i'm noticing them more (I just saw nice looking ones from someone's backyard off Haven Ave. in Rancho Cucamonga yesterday; and now.. Beaumont).

@Steve, thanks for the compliment. Someone else proposed the idea of chopping down the queens to me a while back. Seemed like a mammoth task, those things grew really fast, but as I get tight on space, that may happen some day.

Keep the queens for canopy and grow some smaller stuff underneath. By your description your more likely a 10a Mediterranean climate. Think of all the Dypsis you could grow.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil