IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tortoise or turtle ?

Al in Kona

Is this a tortoise or a turtle and what kind is it? My grandson found it crawling across the road by our house. Check the pics below and maybe someone can help identify it so we know what it needs to survive - eat and shelter. It's current shell size is about 10 cm (4 inches) long and about 9 cm (3.5 inches) wide.

post-90-0-74544000-1405967443_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-84136000-1405967464_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-39381800-1405967490_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

pretty sure its a russian tortoise. line down the front plate is a key. cool little guys.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I agree tortise. I think they're vegetarians, unlike carnivores like the Alligator Snapping Turtle.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I don't know much about either, but here is an interesting tortoise website.

http://www.thetortoiseshop.com/tortoise-species-recognition-requirements

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Thanks for info help everyone. Looks like what we have is a Horsfield (sometimes called Russian) Tortoise.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Let us know how he or she grows.

They can be cool pets, if they're accommodated correctly, which can be a chore for the large ones.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ellis, maybe an African spurtheigh( spelling is wrong I'm sure)?? Sucatta?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ack! I just got home and found a turtle in my back yard which is entirely fenced in concrete block. What do I do with him? 5-inch shell, red stripe on neck.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Funny Kim, and as Andrea and I were eating supper last night, I happened to look out onto our patio and saw our baby(approx. 2 years old) Redfoot just walking from point A to point B. We usually see him every few weeks or so. So of course Andrea gets excited and rushes out there with a handful of fruit. Pretty cool though.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ack! I just got home and found a turtle in my back yard which is entire fenced in concrete block. What do I do with him? 5-inch shell, red stripe on neck.

How about a picture?

Sounds like an aquatic "red ear" turtle type, and sounds like someone over-the-fenced him or her into your yard.

Jeff -- Those red turtles are pretty good size, right? Maybe a 12-inch shell? You have a good location for them. I do not! :lol2:

Dave -- I am beginning to wonder about that over-the-fence move. I've been knocking on doors and nobody will claim him. Neighbors next door recently moved out, I suppose it's possible they left him behind, but that would be out of character for them. The turtle is hanging around my fountain and I think he can smell the water and would love to climb in. But the sides are too high.

If I can't find the owner it's off to the humane society.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

How do turtles/tortoises combine with small palms or seedlings and tropical plants in general(like bromeliads,aroids,orchids,you know interesting stuff,not weed like thingies)? Do they leave them alone or take a munch? We have many native ones roaming here and i am always happy to see them but wanted to know wether they are ok to have in the garden or not. Same about hedgehogs,love them and i know they are around and probably take a still in the garden but not sure about possible damage. For all i see,they behave themselves perfectly and are welcome to have around.

Kim,why not let it roam your place freely? Doesn't need anything from you,not even water,and if it doesn't like it there,it will simply move.

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

How do turtles/tortoises combine with small palms or seedlings and tropical plants in general(like bromeliads,aroids,orchids,you know interesting stuff,not weed like thingies)? Do they leave them alone or take a munch? We have many native ones roaming here and i am always happy to see them but wanted to know wether they are ok to have in the garden or not. Same about hedgehogs,love them and i know they are around and probably take a still in the garden but not sure about possible damage. For all i see,they behave themselves perfectly and are welcome to have around.

Kim,why not let it roam your place freely? Doesn't need anything from you,not even water,and if it doesn't like it there,it will simply move.

Sounds like Kim has what is commonly called a Red Eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans). These are water turtles (not a land tortoise like the one that adopted Al) and do require a water habitat with areas where they can climb out to bask themselves in the sun. The one Kim describes is graduating from aquarium to pond size, and typically present housing problems for owners when they need to move on to a larger environment than was originally envisioned.

Google "Red Eared Slider" and all kinds of images and info come up about these. Very common in the pet trade.

Kim - The San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society may be helpful in relocating this to a new home.

gmp

Dr. George, thanks for the link! Yes, he is definitely a red-eared slider, and needs a pond! Which I do not have, nor plan to add. He would require a large aquarium to be kept indoors, and regular cleaning and maintenance of that. I'm just not prepared to house him permanently. Tortoises are lower maintenance.

Kostas, if he were able to live in the garden as it is, I'd keep him. No chance this little guy could really cause problems.

As you can see, I offered a dinner plate of water, and he immediately climbed in. :)

post-216-0-59350300-1406397474_thumb.jpg post-216-0-84878100-1406397497_thumb.jpg post-216-0-08176300-1406397523_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Kim, I will take him. I have a small Koi pond and my daughter has been pestering me for a turtle. Just need to see what they eat.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

..... Just need to see what they eat.

Fish :)

They are carnivores/insectivores as juveniles progressing to a more omnivorous diet as they get older.

If you have not already found these, Red Eared Slider Link 1 and Link 2 have sections on diet.

They do eat feeder fish (guppies, small gold fish) - a turtle this size probably would leave a large koi alone, but as the turtle gets larger, esp. in a small pond with over crowding and/or without other animal/insect protein sources, you might see occasional nips out of fins and tails.

Be sure they have places where they can crawl out of the water and bask themselves. We used a submerged plastic bucket with a large flat stone on it, and this also served well as a feeding station. Partially submerged logs or wide branches also work well for basking.

Good luck - they are fun to have in a pond.

gmp

Kim, I will take him. I have a small Koi pond and my daughter has been pestering me for a turtle. Just need to see what they eat.

That's great Len, I'll let you know as soon as he reappears. This little guy is a trickster. When I came home Friday after work, he was very near where I had left him in the morning. I went out for about an hour, and when I returned he was nowhere to be found! But when I went out in the morning, there he was. Later, I ran a few errands, and upon return, no turtle visible. Next time I see him, I will isolate him so you can count on him being here for you!

...er, that's assuming I DO see him.

Kim Cyr

Thanks Kim. Good luck :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin