IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One of the best exotic looking tree. Albizia julibrissin 'fan silk flame'

Palm crazy

This is one of the most colorful Silk trees out there. The name is Albizia julibrissin ‘fan silk flame’. This tree in my neighborhood is less than 10 years old.

Much more colorful than rosea even. If you see one and have room for it…grab it you won’t be disappointed. Makes a great shade tree.

DSC00002_zpsca2e58df.jpg

DSC00008_zpsf129cc41.jpg

DSC00014_zps7c940172.jpg

The end, you can usually get this one from one of the nursery (mail order) in Oregon or Washington.

• Upvote 3

That gives a Delonix a run for its money!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These are great trees, in bloom in these parts now as well, I agree about giving Delonix a run for its money, if you didn't know better you would think these were some exotic tropical tree.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Does it go deciduous in Winter?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Oh yes...got to have some....same hardiness as a regular one I assume? Do they come up true from seed? If so ... are you gonna get some?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Does it go deciduous in Winter?

On the main land goes deciduous, not sure in HI, if you’ve seen the more common one there it should behave the same.

Oh yes...got to have some....same hardiness as a regular one I assume? Do they come up true from seed? If so ... are you gonna get some?

Should be hardy to zone 6 to 11. Don’t know if this one has reseeded in the lawn or not. Can’t say what the off spring would look like either.

Thats pretty much all I know about this one. Funny thing is I bought one for my yard, couldn’t figure out where to plant it so I gave it to this neighbor and the little palm too. Now I want one for me. These are mostly available in winter and early spring when they are shipped barefoot and dorm it. If I see any I’ll let you all know but it may not be till next year. Also look for sale in the South East mail order nursery’s.

Glad y’all like this tree. Will see if it set any seeds this fall.

Edited by Palm crazy

I am having a hard time finding one online......I'll buy or trade you something if they come up true to seed and you can get me some seeds.....outstanding color on that one!

I am having a hard time finding one online......I'll buy or trade you something if they come up true to seed and you can get me some seeds.....outstanding color on that one!

I am in for seeds or seedlings as well, will pay reasonable price.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

These should be pretty common to find just about anywhere, usually people call them Mimosa (not to be confused with the genus Mimosa), I don't know about that particular cultivar I guess though, it does have an outstanding color.

Edited by Xerarch

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Yes, normal A. julibrissin are a dime a dozen.....this cultivar pretty unusual. I have seen some regular mimosa around that have some darker pink almost red......but nothing like the beauty shown above. What a great addition to cold hardy gardens. My 'summer chocolate' looks better every day.post-97-0-48977700-1406029177_thumb.jpg

Hey don’t worry guys, I will make sure in the fall to offer seeds to anyone in USA who wants any. In the mean time I did fine one nursery in CA that sells this variety but they are Wholesale only. I’ll keep my eyes peel for some mail order places this winter, most of the time I’ve seen them from OR but not every year.

Ok listen up and listen up good….I found one source that will have them available this fall and winter mail order. Shipping begins in November end in April. If I find others this fall will post them too. But for now you can order one from these guys and they will ship in fall. I will still offer free seeds this fall also.

https://www.willisorchards.com/product/flame-mimosa#.U86oZv0tw0M

Edited by Palm crazy

Just wanted to add one more thing, I have not order from this company Willis nursery so do your homework before ordering to make up your own mind. Has anyone dealt with them before? I’ve heard good and not so good.

Albissia julibrissin is a bummer for me because it's the first thing to go deciduous and the last thing to leaf out.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks Roger. I found that site also. BTW where did you get the trees that you bought for your neighbor?

Hey Matt, I hear what your saying...but over here in the cold part of the world it is plant that laughs a Polar Vortex's.

Also your little ice cream bean trees are doing well. I got 2 in a sheltered area in the ground. 2 in pots in my pool courtyard and a couple of more that will be traded with a guy I like to call Bromiliad Man...in Panama City. Thanks for those seeds again.

David I don’t remember the name of the nursery it was wholesale only. :crying: I don’t have a nursery license anymore.

I did call the local nursery here and one of them has one left, a leftover from last year but may not be in very good shape according to the guy on the phone. It’s a 15 gallon. Will check that one out next month, if it looks decent I’ll get it.

I think Forest Farms (retail mail order) Maybe Greer Gardens, and someone else in Oregon has sold them in the pass if that helps. I just have to wait till whoever has them to restock this winter. I did order one from Willis nursery just incase I can’t find any. Sorry thats really all I know for now.

Edited by Palm crazy

Hi all,

I've occasionally seen this mimosa for sale in TX. It was introduced years ago by Fanick's Nursery in San Antonio. Fanicks also lists it on their website. It is a stunner- I'm a fan of many mimosa - ish trees.

Matt thats good to know!

Here’s an update on the ‘chocolate’.

I’ve found this one does best with roots in shade and foliage in mostly full sun. Produces great color and less drying out of the leaves.

Just received two nights of rain here just in time for the next big warm up coming this weekend and next week.

DSC00005_zps76079e17.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Your yard is looking fantastic! Nice color on your summer chocolate too.

I've been paying attention to all the local trees since this thread started, a lot of variety in the colors. Everything from very light pink to quite red. Still not sure though that I've seen anything quite as nice as the one pictured at the top of the thread. Maybe some come close, they're nice trees.

Edited by Xerarch

Albissia julibrissin is a bummer for me because it's the first thing to go deciduous and the last thing to leaf out.

That was my experience as well, which is why I took mine out. It bummed me out to know that winter was coming. I replaced it with Calliandra surinamensis, which looks very similar, but is evergreen. That being said, if I lived in somewhere where it froze all the time, I wouldn't hesitate to get a bunch of Albizias.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

• 4 weeks later...

The "Summer Chocolate" has been growing like crazy. Just wish it would add some height.post-97-0-50743300-1409026141_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-84156700-1409026207_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-92079700-1409026269_thumb.jpg

Guess I need to go over taking pictures on the Android with my wife again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just found this thread, beautiful tree! The regular variety grows around my area, but flower color does not approach the intensity of this one.

Come to think of it, I believe I saw one of these blooming in Stanley park in Vancouver, BC a couple years ago.

Edited by Opal92

I got some of the seeds from Palm Crazy.  Got one to germinate.  Then it disappeared from the pot farm.  I expressed myself with several choice adult words.  Been looking for more seeds since.  Too embarrassed to ask Palm Crazy for more.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Had quite a big one growing outside my bedroom window in north Dallas as a kid, so my first experience with an "exotic". Now, this tree is widely considered an invasive and - with negative bias on non-native floral plantings the way they are in several states - probably a good candidate for the noxious weed list in the US.

15 hours ago, _Keith said:

I got some of the seeds from Palm Crazy.  Got one to germinate.  Then it disappeared from the pot farm.  I expressed myself with several choice adult words.  Been looking for more seeds since.  Too embarrassed to ask Palm Crazy for more.

Keith, Glad to send you some seeds,  pm your mailing address and I will send some more seeds this early fall. 

Roger

Edited by Palm crazy

Hey since we’re talking about Silk trees I have a big problem with my Albizia julibrissin var. ‘summer chocolate’. This spring it did not grow back and I can’t figure out why, unless if was from me fertilizing way to early?  It was 9’-10’, still is just no sign of leaves. Should I dig it out and replace or wait a little longer and see if it grow back? Thanks! 

Also the last time I grew ’summer chocolate’ it died on me for no reason.  :bemused:

Heat is not a problem…. This Saturday 94F, Sunday 96F. 

If I do replace here are some new Albizia to pick from, these are made of hot places in the USA. The hotter you get the more colorful the leaves. http://www.forestfarm.com/trees-shrubs?cat=5&genus=280

Edited by Palm crazy

These trees are extremely invasive here (southeast US).  They look nice in bloom, but not at all unique when every vacant lot in town has about 10 of them.  I've got a few volunteer seedlings that I cut down multiple times per year.  Poor growth habit and general weakness makes them susceptible to storm damage when they're out in the open.

Steve

3 hours ago, Turtlesteve said:

These trees are extremely invasive here (southeast US).  They look nice in bloom, but not at all unique when every vacant lot in town has about 10 of them.  I've got a few volunteer seedlings that I cut down multiple times per year.  Poor growth habit and general weakness makes them susceptible to storm damage when they're out in the open.

Steve

In more southern states they can be a problem. 

14 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

Had quite a big one growing outside my bedroom window in north Dallas as a kid, so my first experience with an "exotic". Now, this tree is widely considered an invasive and - with negative bias on non-native floral plantings the way they are in several states - probably a good candidate for the noxious weed list in the US.

I never see any growing wild here. I would not grow one in invasive states. 

Edited by Palm crazy

For those of you that are interested in this tree this nursery is selling them now mail order.  https://www.willisorchards.com/product/flame-mimosa#.WU6cLP0iJG1

I order mine in summer and got it in early January 2015 and planted it right away, it now 10’ tall and I am hoping in the next two years it will start to bloom. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Oops, looks like your pictures expired Palm crazy.

All my older photos from photobucket are gone!  Happening to a lot of people.

Edited by Palm crazy