IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis saintelucei Flowering in SoCal

LJG

Mandrew, I got interested in D. saintelucei because it's from the same area of Madagascar as D. lutescens. My first one, a few years ago, succumbed to something that wrecked the stem. Maybe rot, maybe lawn mower operating next door. Also have gotten some caution about cold (D. lutescens periodically gets leaf damage here), thus the canopied location. There's D. saintelucei growing, apparently quite happily, on Merritt Island and thereabouts in Brevard County and a palm nursery there is growing them.

I'm impressed that they're doing so well in southern California.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dave, I have one doing well--super healthy. I also sold one to a good friend and his is doing just as well. The biggest one I have ever seen in person was at Dale's house in Loxahatchee. If you lost one, somehow, I would advise you get another one and try again--it should be an easy palm to grow. They like sun.

Hey Len, How about a post on the mystery Dypsis? Dark green one!

Alright. I will get some pics tomorrow. What was the name you got them as?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len, No name was given. Thought to be D. ovobontsira. However, I gave my copy of POM to Alfred @ the time. So not sure what they were.

Hi Len,

A couple of good friends of mine have one each growing in their gardens here in south Florida. Their both around 10' in height, growing in full sun, one planted in a sugar type sand and the other in the lower Keys in pure limestone rock. Extremely healthy looking and robust.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Len, I have three doing quite well in the ground, although I did kill two previously. The first two both rotted right at the base & were in too much shade. They have the whitest leaf bases of all my palms.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Here's a few pics of my three. The two side by side have some canopy directly overhead, but the single is in full sun next to my prestoniana. Again my Dypsis don't get quite as chunky as the Cali grown.

-Randy

post-1035-0-60531700-1413513655_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-40228600-1413513661_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-34768400-1413513673_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-61777200-1413513680_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-28065000-1413513686_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-57945600-1413513692_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-97804700-1413513699_thumb.jp

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

They all look well grown Randy.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Please, yes. Yes please. Will I need to beg more? And is this the same one I was lucky enough to get one of we are talking about?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 weeks later...

Dypsis saintlucei growing in the garden here in upslope south Kona, Hawaii with 6 ft.(1.83 m) tall grandson standing next to give scale. It is growing in a full sun location, however we do tend to get a lot of afternoon cloud cover build up (more in summer months than winter months) and our humidity never drops excessively low. Its never been fertilized, only mulched and as yet has not sent out an inflorescence.

When much younger it tended to be not real well rooted, so I temporarily placed some rocks near the base and also added some extra soil and staked it. After almost 2-years it was solidly rooted and I removed the stake and rocks. That's been my experience with this attractive palm.

post-90-0-22534400-1414395180_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Anyone in Australia growing this successfully? I have yet to see any growing well here??

Yes, I've got a good one growing in my Perth garden. It seems an easy grow. It gets a lot of sun and warmth near my coconut.

I have been warned away from the saintelucei in South East Qld but after seeing yours Len I think I need to give them a go.

Any tips for SEQ would be welcome.

I was going to try one as Tropicgardener in Cairns is growing one and he said it should grow in Brisbane.

Edited by Sunnie

I am in the Whitsundays not Cairns Sunnie :) but recently obtained one of these (almost 3 metres tall) in Mackay......just recently planted it out. They look to be an awesome Dypsis.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

This species is a bit fussy from my experience. I have six in the ground and several more in pots. When young they do not like full direct sun. My two largest are on a south exposure and are getting bright light but not all day full sun. It is a great looking palm and was virtually gone from its habitat we visited in Madagascar. I was told that the locals use it for making fishing traps and we did not find any mature specimens where there were previously many.

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Al in Kona's experience with young plants being "not real well rooted" and needing staking fits with mine. The little one that grew so well this summer (photo earlier in the discussion) now seems past the need for the stake.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us