RarePalmSeeds

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

The IPS has issued the expected revised "Terms of Service" - Effective Immediately - Please read more in an explanatory topic HERE.

NEW "TERMS OF SERVICE"

Photo

Eva Whitelock has passed away

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cycadcenter

Cycadcenter

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 839 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

Loran Whitelock's wife Eva passed away today after a long battle with cancer.
Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 BS Man about Palms

BS Man about Palms

This TVR is trapped in my garage by PALMS!

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,350 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

I only know "of" Loran. I'm sorry for his loss.
Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."
"Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."
-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

#3 Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle

Camp #3- Marojejy Mtns.

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,510 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:32 AM

Loran,
    I am sorry to hear about the loss of Eva. I often think about my visit to your home a few years back, and the time you took to show me around. My prayers go out to you, the family and all that knew her.
Jeff
Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.
and The Rainforest Collection.
Southwest Ranches,Fl.

#4 tropicalb

tropicalb

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:49 AM

Though I never had the pleasure to meet her, I'm sorry to hear the sad news of Eva Whitelock's passing...deepest sympathies to Loran and all friends and family.

#5 bgl

bgl

Creating my new Palm Paradise

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 9,781 posts
  • Location:Leilani Estates, 25 miles S of Hilo, Island of Hawai'i

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:58 AM

My deepest sympathies to Loran and family. I only met Loran and Eva once - at the annual PSSC Banquet in January many years ago (probably '94, give or take a year), and had a very pleasant conversation with them.
Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

http://lundkvistpalmgardencentral.com

#6 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,081 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

I haven't met Mrs. Whitlock, and I feel much the worse for never having had the chance.

My sympathies, Mr. Whitlock, I know the battle was at least as much yours as hers.

God bless.

David Paul Bleistein

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

#7 calyptrocalyx&licuala freck

calyptrocalyx&licuala freck

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

Loran, I,m so sorry to hear of the passing of Eva
Deepest sympathies, to You and Family
You are in our thoughts and prayers God Bless.
               Mike Edwards & Family
M.H.Edwards
"Living in  the Tropic's
And loving it".............. Posted Image

#8 Utopia Palms

Utopia Palms

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

Dear Lauren
Our deepest sympathy goes to you and your family on the loss of your wife. Things maybe a little grey but as the days go by they will become brighter.
Teresa and Clayton
Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia
Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm
IPS Membership since 1991
PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

#9 Al in Kona

Al in Kona

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

My deepest sympathy Loran.  I had met Eva a number of times and enjoyed her company.  My prayers go out to you during this time of sorrow.  

Al Bredeson
Captain Cook, Hawaii
Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  
Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  
Nice sunsets!

#10 Geoff

Geoff

• IPS MEMBER
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:24 PM

Eva was an amazing woman.. .what a fighter!  She almost died of heart failure nearly a decade ago, and fought back fiercly.  I had the fortune of getting to know her after that and she still had quite zest for life and a wonderful fiery personality.  The first time I met her was soon after her heart attack, and I expected to see a frail, old woman in a wheel chair... but she was running about the house, making sure Loran got his lunch on time, and keeping him on schedule etc... she had to take care of him, too, during his brief illness, despite her own medical problems.  And she continued to travel with him for years after that.

She not only was a plant lover herself and seemed to enjoy their amazing garden and incredible collection of plants (she had a lot of her own favorites), but had her own hand in collecting things as well: one of the most amazing Tiffany lamp and art collections I have ever seen, amazing art all over the house, and seemed to know a lot about style and art (I was too ignorant in those areas to test her or embarrass myself by trying to discuss these things with her, though).  

I feel I was lucky to have met her, and priveledged to have been invited into her home and treated with so much kindness.  I am saddened by her passing and knowing Loran will miss her terribly.

#11 jdapalms

jdapalms

• IPS MEMBER
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:33 PM

I am very sorry to hear this news. Our best wishes to Loran. I recall several years ago Cindy and Myself having lunch with them at there wonderful garden. Eva was a gracious host.
Jerry & Cindy Andersen
Jerry D. Andersen
JD Andersen Nursery
Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

#12 Linda

Linda

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:40 PM

I worked with Eva on the Fire Department in the late 60's and early 70's.  She became a very dear lifelong friend.  We have shared many many wonderful times together through the years.  She hosted a beautiful bridal shower for me and attended to me and my bridesmaids as we were preparing for the wedding ceremony.  She had a very quick wit and always enjoyed a good laugh.  She was a loyal friend.  I spent so much time with Eva and Loran during her struggle with cancer that I was stunned by her rapid decline and passing.  I have lost a very beloved friend and I miss her constantly.

Loran, my heart is breaking for you because I know how much you loved her as she did you.  She was such a nurturer--always making sure you were well-cared for and content.  She so enjoyed preparing wonderful meals for you and you were always so thankful for her talent and effort.  She so loved and appreciated you.  You gifted her throughout your marriage with many exciting and interesting travel experiences as well as designing a beautiful living environment for the two of you to share.  She shared with me many times about her joy in the multi-faceted experiences that your life together afforded her.

Thank you, Loran, for making your home totally accessible to me during her final days so that I could spend as much time as possible with her to be able to say goodbye to my cherished friend.  My prayers are with you, Loran, because I see how deeply you feel her loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users