IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Miami we Remember

Moose

Thanks Moose. I remember a good bit of that even though I'm from Ft Lauderdale.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Even though I've only spent 2 or three weeks total in my life in Miami, I enjoyed the show. The Publix grocery chain isn't in Virginia or Puerto Rico, but that photo brought back fond memories of snack food and mailing supplies runs across from the IPS Biennial hotel in May. Thanks, Moose!

Cindy Adair

WOW...WOW....WOW!!! Man, talk about reliving some places and events that I remember. It just shows how old I'm getting. But some of the highlights I just saw was, Burdines, Coppertone, Eastern & National Airlines, Lindsey Lumber ( larry actually worked at one), The Pirate World Amusement Park in Dania, the day it snowed(!!!), and the Zayre stores.

One of the top 3 topics probably all time here on PT for me. Thanks Ron!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Pirates World was pretty cool. No Seaquarium pics?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

The Day it SNOWED? :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The Day it SNOWED? :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused:

Yup, 1977, there aren't any major cities in the contiguous 48 that have never recorded snow. The most southerly location that has recorded snow is Homestead FL, inland and south of Miami.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Hmm.

Sambo's . . . .

We had Zayre in Ohio.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We ate at Shorty's BBQ around the back of the hotel one night, I saw that sign in the film.

That was neat, thanks Ron, that reminds me I must get to creating a couple of biennial mini films I promised myself I would produce, might even steal some song ideas, love the old numbers.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Showed Pops yesterday morning, now at 88 years old and knew Miami well. But to him, it's Miam-ahh. But he started singing every word to the opening song, he thought it was great!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ron,

Thanks for posting, that was definitely fun to relive some memories. My first visit to Miami was some 50 years ago, plus living there for a number of years in the 70/80s gives me a definite appreciation for many of those visuals. :) And BTW, thanks for coming over to our table at the Biennial and introducing yourself! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo - it was nice seeing you again. Had not seen you since the Costa Rican Biennel.

Wal - the Shorty's you visited is the original location but not the original log cabin. That one burnt down and was rebuilt by the owner. The original Shorty's had no air conditioning. When built it was in the middle of no where. Amazing it is surrounded by big buildings now.

The Zayre Department Store in Coconut Grove was where I bought my first 20" Color TV, just blocks from the house I was renting back in 1979.

The Cast-a-Ways was a huge Tiki Bar happening during the 1960's. My parents would go there back in the day.

Glad so many of you enjoyed the sights and sounds of old Miami.

Ron :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

that reminds me I must get to creating a couple of biennial mini films I promised myself I would produce, might even steal some song ideas, love the old numbers.

Can't wait, Wal!

Cindy Adair

Thanks Moose. Even though I moved to South Florida in 1980 I remember a few of those sights.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hey Don! I was just thinking about you yesterday. Being down in Brazil and the World Cup.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Jeff,

The world cup is finally coming to an end. It has been good over all. But, it sure messes up the day as everything shuts down 4 hours before a Brazil game. Things did not turn out too well for Brazil's team. But, then again that is sports. Manaus oot a new stadium for the 4 games here. But, there is no first rank team to use it. Life in Brazil.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Don, just as with Jeff, I was thinking about you down there in Brasil also. Hope all is going well with you and your property across the Rio Negro (I believe it was). Did that big bridge get finished and now useable so you can cross that way now? Bet your kids are growing fast.

While I've never lived in Miami, I do see great changes every time I get back there to visit. Like the saying goes, if there's anything you can be sure of in life, it's CHANGE.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!