IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC MEETING JULY, 2014 VENTURA COUNTY, CALIFORNIA

DoomsDave

JULY PSSC MEETING
SATURDAY, JULY 19, 2014
CAMARILLO, VENTURA COUNTY

The July meeting will have two gardens on tour in Camarillo, Ventura County. Both gardens have seen
many changes and have flourished since our last visit five years ago. We will be having a potluck
luncheon so don’t forget to bring a favorite side dish (a main meat dish will be provided).

post-208-0-96884900-1404515184_thumb.jpg

The first garden is that of Robert and Pam Solakian and the tour will begin at 11:00a.m. Many small
and medium-sized palms are growing well under an open tree canopy. There are large Howea and
Rhopalostylis now encircle the pool area and many new species rare to the Ventura/ Santa Barbara
area. Tropical palms are now growing in Robert’s new aluminum greenhouse. Robert is the owner of
Santa Barbara Greenhouses in Oxnard and will certainly share some tips on greenhouse design, cost
and maintenance with members. Pam will also have her artwork on display.

The second location is within walking distance of the Solakian’s at our Area Chair’s home, John Rees
and Clarissa Dong. Prominent in the garden are many large palms and cycads moved from their former West Los Angeles residence. Large tree aloes, agaves, yuccas and flowering trees form the dry tropical area of the garden. See the garden first before the potluck luncheon at John’s house at 12:30 p.m.

post-208-0-81438100-1404515275_thumb.jpg

Directions:

From the North or South, take 101 Ventura Freeway to Camarillo, exit at Las Posas. Coming from
the south, turn right on Las Posas; from the north, turn left, cross the bridge over the freeway. Go north on Las Posas past 4 signals after exiting the freeway. Las Posas will fork off to the right but DO
NOT FOLLOW LAS POSAS but proceed straight up the hill, which turns into Crestview. Turn
right on Valley Vista to the Solakian home at 340 Valley Vista. There is some parking in front of theri
home, but a better location is to park on Marine View Drive just up from the Solakian residence.
The Rees residence is located at 75 Marine View Drive.

Please remember to bring something for the potluck, such as an appetizer, chips/dips, bread, dessert,
fruit salad. We will be serving a main meat dish. This is a great time to socialize and get to know other members of your Palm Society.

Please consider bringing plants for the 50/50 auction, the proceeds of which are equally shared
between the PSSC and the donor.

For more information, please contact John Rees, Ventura/Santa Barbara Area Chair. (805) 482-2792.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So, who's coming?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I was born in SB, would love to go but it's just to far just for palms. Any idea on the next San Diego area tour? Would love to get a group in the RV together for a fun day

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I was born in SB, would love to go but it's just to far just for palms. Any idea on the next San Diego area tour? Would love to get a group in the RV together for a fun day

Wha..?! Who is this serial lurker?

San Diego again in November location TBA

remember when jastin used to grow palm trees??? Me either....

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Yeah, now he just builds decks and eats cheese in France.

I'll go to this meeting also. I'm disappointed that Camarillo is beyond the range of the RV!

Oh this RV has got the range, and its has the RPV sticker to go with it! Its just too much time for me to ask the wife to watch the kids while i go and play. Ill be sure to get a group together for the november meeting!

Yeah, now he just builds decks and eats cheese in France.

I ate cheese for breakfast and every meal for a month in France. My palm trees are blowing up- the obsession is just on hold while I fill in the hardscape areas bros!

Here is an incentive to risk the long journey to the frozen wastelands of Camarillo,..

I will bring this Lepidorrachis to the auction. I have grown more than 20 plants of this species.

This one is a very strong grower, and is the best one I have at this time.

Hope to see you next Saturday !

post-31-0-53853400-1405263319_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

I'll go to this meeting also. I'm disappointed that Camarillo is beyond the range of the RV!

Bring plants for the auction!

Here is an incentive to risk the long journey to the frozen wastelands of Camarillo,..

I will bring this Lepidorrachis to the auction. I have grown more than 20 plants of this species.

This one is a very strong grower, and is the best one I have at this time.

Hope to see you next Saturday !

attachicon.gifIMG_2052.JPG

SCREAM!

Oh this RV has got the range, and its has the RPV sticker to go with it! Its just too much time for me to ask the wife to watch the kids while i go and play. Ill be sure to get a group together for the november meeting!

It'll be good to see you whenever!

Bring the little ones to the meeting . . . .

I've got raffle and auction Palms packed up and ready to go. See Y'all at the meeting!

fOAMING AT THE MOUTH!

I'm working, but ya'll have a good time! It would be nice to see Darold and Perry and others.. but someday...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill, they gon' cry widdout' choo' so sad to see 'em cry!