IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World UFO Day--Do You Believe?

sur4z

If not, why does every culture have ancient drawings of beings flying in the air?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/07/02/world-ufo-day-aliens-roswell-extraterrestrial/11394713/

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Hallucinations shared by many people at the same time? Nah, can't be. Have a read:

Strange objects have reportedly been seen flying, floating and, at least in one famous incident five centuries ago in Nuremberg, Germany, apparently fighting in our skies for thousands of years. Stunning eye-witness accounts of what happened one early morning above sixteenth-century Nuremberg on April 14, 1561, describe numerous multi-colored spherical "globes," disc-like "plates," blood-red "crosses," larger "rods" or cylindrical "tubes" containing round objects and one massive triangular or spear-shaped black object doing fierce aerial battle for more than an hour until some flew off "into the sun" while others crashed to earth in a cloud of smoke or "steam." Hallucination? Waking vision? If so, it was shared and attested to by many medieval Nuremberg residents that extraordinary day. (See two different artist's renderings around that time of what was witnessed and documented in the Nuremberg Gazette above and below. Five years later, an almost identical incident allegedly took place in Basel, Switzerland.) While obviously one of the most dramatic and remarkable of such widely reported phenomena, the Nuremberg event is but one of countless sightings of similarly oddly shaped spherical, saucer-like, triangular and cylindrical objects over the past five-hundred years, sometimes by highly credible witnesses such as commercial or military pilots and police officers. What really is it that they are seeing?

Quoted from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/201010/ufos-close-encounters-and-the-cry-meaning

There is just so much about the world and the universe we do not comprehend, but obviously one of the things the average person can't seem to stand is to be ok with the unknown. So people either cling to fairytales as the ultimate truth or they go into violent denial of anything they do not understand.

Two different artists rendering of the Nuremberg incident, and you can read the actual 1561 newspaper article about the event here, complete with a call to repent for your sins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1561_celestial_phenomenon_over_Nuremberg

49242-37960.jpg

49242-37967.png

We are not alone :blink2:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Fertile imaginations seen through art...

http://www.crystalinks.com/ufohistory.html

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

We are the aliens.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I always suspected you were a lizard, Keith. Now we know. :)

There has to be life somewhere out there. Crazy to think this one planet in all the universe is alone with life. With that said, if some other alien species figured out how to travel faster than the speed of light (proving Einstein wrong) then are they going to be so stupid as to just pop up in our atmosphere to be seen or crash here like some think?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

There has to be life somewhere out there. Crazy to think this one planet in all the universe is alone with life. With that said, if some other alien species figured out how to travel faster than the speed of light (proving Einstein wrong) then are they going to be so stupid as to just pop up in our atmosphere to be seen or crash here like some think?

Len, you don't need to travel faster than the speed of light, you just need a worm hole.

Yeah, I watch Star Trek too. Worm Hole won't get you everywhere you need to go to explore our universe. At some point you either need to bend space or travel faster then the speed of light. In both cases someone that figured out that won't be running out of gas and crash landing on earth.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

This is assuming what we know about the universe today is all there is to know. I have a hunch the universe will continue to surprise us and expose our ignorance.

There has to be life elsewhere, if you believe in God, why would He only create life on one planet? If you don't believe in God, still, the universe is so vast it would be silly to think that life has not occurred somewhere else. Now, as for the all the sightings, well that's another matter, extraterrestrial or not, there certainly are some interesting things going on. Len has a good point, if these "people" are so bright, you really think they make it all the way here just to crash all the time?

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

still one of my favorite sci-fi films,

The Day the Earth Stood Still, 1951.

San Francisco, California

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (unknown)

--Avett Bros

OK, one thing is UFO's & aliens around and the other if there's life anywhere else in the universe.

Edited by Patricia-CR

Patricia

Well, I assume you've seen my avatar

Why are aliens always depicted with an ugly pear shaped head?

This is assuming what we know about the universe today is all there is to know. I have a hunch the universe will continue to surprise us and expose our ignorance.

I have a feeling we truly know nothing about the universe.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I always suspected you were a lizard, Keith. Now we know. :)

I said "we," scaly skin.

I sure hope so. I had a professor tell me once (almost 20 years ago) that with how fast man and technology is advancing, it is not inconceivable that we will all become gods someday.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I suppose the big heads are for their big brains??

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

I grew up in the 1950s and watched lots of sci fi movies that depicted beings from another planet. I also recall as a kid reading the Enquire News Paper, and they would sometimes have articles of UFO sightings and encounters. At the time I believed there might be life other than on earth.

But as the years went by, anecdotal testimony, grainy black and white photos, etc., that provided the basis for UFO stories, weren't enough for me anymore. I needed proof, facts, tangible evidence, etc.

With all the digital technology we have today in the hands of billions of people world-wide, surely somebody would have captured something on digital that proved the existence of extra terrestrials. Again, until I see some proof, then I don't believe beings from another planet ever visited earth or are here now.

That being said, I do believe with 99.999.....% certainty that there is probably some form of life elsewhere in the vast universe. The possibilites are just too great for me to believe otherwise.

The late astronomer Carl Sagan, on his old TV Cosmos shows, put the universe into perspective for me, in terms of its vastness and quantity of galaxies, stars, planets, etc., and that's what i predicate my opinon on that there is probably life elsewhere. Life maybe different than anything on earth, but some form of life.

Lastly, until man (or beings from another solar system, galaxy, etc.) can greatly travel faster than the speed of light (which is the fastest of anything we know of in the universe, at 186,000 miles per second) -- man isn't going to get anywhere in space where he might find other life, let alone sustain his own life.

I remember the first moon landing, and I think the rocket and capsule was only traveling about 18,000 miles per hour! Now, 186K miles per second (speed of light) is a snail's pace with respect to traveling through the universe -- but 18K mile per hour is an amoeba's pace! Unless human space traveler's could put their selves in a state of prolonged hibernation, they would be dead of old age before they even got anywhere out of our solar system.

Mad about palms

I wouldn't want to travel through a wormhole if it lead to Uranus.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

post-649-0-08611600-1404664088.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I'm sure there's life somewhere out there. But, I've never seen truly definitive evidence.

Most of the "classic" pictures were hoaxes, some where laughable. My favorite is the two UFOs circling the Eiffel Tower that turned out to be lampshades in someone's living room reflected in the glass.

And, who can forget Erik von Daniken, and "Chariots of the Gods?"

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

How many sharks can one man jump before he heads back to land?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm sure here's life on other planets. Are they visiting us? Not so sure.

1. If they are visiting us, why be so secretive? If they have the technology for interstellar travel then surly our primitive weapons pose zero threat.

2. Why should they go through the chain of comand and involve our crazy incompitant government?

3. If they have traveled all this way wouldn't contact be the first thing on there list? Would you drive to the Grand Canyon and stay in the car?

4. UFO ( unidentified flying object) if it's "unidentified" then how do you know it's an alien? When we have an "unidentified" killer on the loose we don't blame e.t.

I know we can't be alone in the universe but I also know that humans can't say "I don't know why this is happening " or "I don't know what that was" When we get puzzled by something we automatically try to rationalize it by saying "I can't explains it so it must be aliens" you can substitute god for aliens as well. Are there aliens out there? I'm sure of it. Are they visiting earth? Possibly but I have my doubts.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Maybe they have a Prime Directive and don't feel we are ready for first contact.

Or they may be scared they might catch something.

We may be like a remote tribe they can watch from afar bit don't to pollute.

Our atmosphere may be poisonous to them, so why bother

We just aren't that interesting.

We are just one more of thousands of primitive races they have run across. Catalogued us and moved on.

Or possibly they have noticed that we pee on our palms and thought we might pee on them too

Anyone watch the Cosmos? A lot of really cool stuff. They say we know about 4% of what is going on in the universe. It would be almost statistically impossible for there not to be life out there. If you traveled at the speed of light it would take 14 billion years just to get from one end of the universe to the other and that is just the known universe. It could be a lot bigger than that. The sheer size of the universe and distance between stars makes it very difficult for life to travel from one planet to another, even with theoretical technology.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

I remember when the book Chariots of the Gods came out, I think back in the 1970s. The book talked about how ancient astronauts may have came to earth and gave early man various knowledge. I recall the book talked about the Nazca Lines of Peru, and how they resembled landing strips where the ancient astronauts from another world landed their space craft. I recall thinking, give me a break! Beings from another plant outside our own solar system with such technology that we can only still dream of today -- and they would need a runway to land? What a joke! No way would a craft capable of traveling space from another solar system would require a runway to land like a common airplane.

And with regard to the Roswell, New Mexico, UFO incident, I've seen numerous TV accounts of it and read articles about it. I recall so called eye witnesses that supposedly examined the broken up space craft said the craft was made of a metal far, far stronger than any known metal on earth! That they tried to saw it, hammer it, drill it, etc., to no avail. Baloney! If that was the case, why was the craft all broken and mangled up? Further, I'm all but sure all of the elements found on the Periodic chart are probably all that exist in the universe, that any special high-strength metal could be made.

Mad about palms

Yeah, saw on the news this weekend it's what... the 50th anniversary of the Roswell news? Wow how time flies and yet barely moves in the bigger sense. They were still talking about it today on the radio while I was in line at the Starbucks drive-thru in fact.

Do I believe life exists outside of earth? Yes. Not sure what form. If life can grow and flourish here on earth in underwater volcanic vents and in total darkness in deep water caves underground (where I think I read the oxygen level was nil or nearly nil), why not. We keep getting surprised.

I grew up watching Sci-fi shows, dad would buy Popular Science back in the 50s, and I seem to recall leafing through some "forward thinking" articles and dig on those graphics of futuristic craft that might someday orbit earth and beyond wondering if they ever would. Dad also would pick up an occasional Enquire too, and I definitely remember stories of flying saucer-like aircraft hidden on secret sites in the wilderness in Canada or somewhere. So the idea there was or could be life beyond and maybe even visited here was a topic thrown around the dinner table a few times growing up.

I was watching a few old X-Files episodes today on ElRey and Chiller, all I can say is "I Want To Believe". Maybe the more interesting question is why do we want to believe? I'd like to think it's our inquisitiveness about all around us. Maybe in some way Hope. Hope that we aren't alone or not as unique but part of something bigger that has purpose and not just random accidents of life. That when our Sun depletes itself and our world grows cold and life as we know it dies, somehow all our thoughts and actions weren't for naught. As our technology has advanced to send craft out into the universe and see images from our satellites, how can you not be amazed and in awe. Somehow the idea of life elsewhere and even contact just begs to be believed and I guess shared.

I would have to say without a doubt that sending a man into space and the exploration of what lies beyond is the most monumental advancement of man that I will see in my lifetime.

As for the question "why come to earth?", maybe it's just me but the photos of earth from the space shuttle are just stunning. I'd be curious to learn more.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Anyone watch the Cosmos? A lot of really cool stuff. They say we know about 4% of what is going on in the universe. It would be almost statistically impossible for there not to be life out there. If you traveled at the speed of light it would take 14 billion years just to get from one end of the universe to the other and that is just the known universe. It could be a lot bigger than that. The sheer size of the universe and distance between stars makes it very difficult for life to travel from one planet to another, even with theoretical technology.
4% seems pretty high to me. We don't even know all there is to know about our own planet.

On an unrelated note, how's the garden these days?

4% seems pretty high to me. We don't even know all there is to know about our own planet.

On an unrelated note, how's the garden these days?

I know 5%. Just saying.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I'm all but convinced earth has never been visited by aliens from outer space. Certainly, if we were ever visited the aliens couldn't have been anything humanly.

The biggest obstacle that I see with regard to space travel is the speed it would take to travel. Even if we could travel at the speed of light (186,000 miles per second), travel through the universe would be less than a snail's pace. And then there's the question, even if it were possible for humans to travel at the speed of light inside a space craft, how long would it take for a human to accelerate to the speed of light without detrimental physical affects. Accelerate too fast and a human passes out from lack of blood flow in the brain. Accelerate faster and faster and a human dies. Moreover, as the late Carl Sagan illustrated on one of his Cosmos programs, the human body would be torn apart.

The fact is, based on man's limit to travel fast (relative to space travel) and his limited lifespan, man couldn't even leave the boundaries of the solar system (which is almost 2 light years in diameter), let alone travel to the nearest other solar system.

And if we wanted to say, travel to Jupiter, the gravity on Jupiter is 2.5 times that of the gravity of earth. So a 200 pound man on earth would weight 500 pounds on Jupiter. That would make it extremely hard to motivate upon the surface of Jupiter.

While the universe is almost beyond comprehension in size, and you would think the possibilities for life else where very probable, the chances for another solar system with a planet in it just like earth (with its physical conditions to support the evolution and development of man like creatures) is probably very remote.

And even if man-like beings evolved on some distant planet in another solar system, and even in another galaxy, his civilization may have died out millions of years ago. So even if he sent radio signals that took 100s, 1,000s of light years before they reached earth, his civilization would probably have went extinct long before earth picked up his signals.

Again, considering the vastness of the universe and the limited speed we have to travel through it, I just don't believe we've ever been visited by outer space aliens. But I think all the UFO scares and concerns that started with the Roswell incident back in 1947 and up through the 1950s was based on the populace thinking the aliens might be from Mars or some planet within our sun's solar system. Thus, by limiting the travel distances to Mars, or even a much farther out planet, visitation to earth by some aliens within our solar system was far more plausible and believable. But now, beyond those distances, it's virtually impossible for any human-like being to travel outside (or even to the outer reaches of) our solar system based on the laws of physics on earth.

No, I think we are alone.

Mad about palms

I am a believer and totally interested in the subject. There is a lot of junk and hoaxes to filter through but there is a core of sightings and encounters that are genuine.

I personally have had 2 daylight disc sightings. The first occurred when I was a kid, in third grade, 1976. My best friend then and I saw a silver disc flyby at rapid rate. That was what really got me interested in them. I was already interested because of a nighttime sighting a couple years earlier my family had. In brief a bright light followed our car late at night. We lived in the country and my mom was very spooked. Everytime she made a turn it stayed on pace and behind the car. Once she turned onto our street it just zipped off and disappeared

I also saw a silver disc darting in and out of the clouds while surfing at Cape Canaveral in 1992.

So there are 2 explanations and both involve the govt totally lying to us. Either they have super technology and there are no EBEs and they are keeping this from us. Or we are being visited.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a