IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mike Green "Newcal " awesome palm Collection 2014 update !

Tassie_Troy1971

Danylle and i Had the opportunity to get up to Brisbane and the Goldcoast for a quick 4 day vacation last week . So i had to visit at least 4 "palmy " gardens to get my fix !

We Had dinner at a local Thai restaurant with Daryl and Mike the night before where i was entertained with many stories from the Miami Biennial.

Mike said " Randy (yachting one said he was going to take them out to see his garden and kept driving and driving for what seemed like hrs ,thought he was going to bury us out in the desert LOL ! such is the enormity of Los Angeles urban sprawl .

20140620_211429.jpg

The next afternoon we headed up into the lush hills above the Gold coast to visit Mike ! As we pulled up at Mikes driveway it's easy to see a palm collector lives here . I threw Danylle the car keys and said see you in 2 - 3 hrs ! LOL so Kristina my 20 yr old daughter and Danylle went shopping .

I found mike half way down the drive working hard as usual !

Driveway.jpg

Dypsis decipiens

Dypsisdecipienstrunk.jpg

decipiens.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Marojejya darianii

darianai.jpg

Dypsis1.jpg

Bottle palm sets the scene

bottle.jpg

Nice Bismarckia

Bismarckia.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Short Video

Chambeyronia lepidota

Chambeyronia hookeri

backofhouse.jpg

Beccariophoenix madagascarensis

Beccariophoenix2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Basselinia- cant remember which one Mike ?

Basselinia.jpg

Me with the big Beccariophoenix

Beccariophoenix.jpg

Some form of Dypsis baronii

baroni.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

B windows

windows.jpg

whitetrunk.jpg

Cyphophoenix alba

Valba.jpg

Voanioala geradii

volana.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Rhopalostylis baueri

Rbaueri.jpg

MY favorite the 8 yrs old Pigafetta filaris - what an awesome palm ! :yay:

Pigafetta.jpg

What a combo Rhopalostylis and pigafetta !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Mike with a beefy Dypsis decaryi

triange.jpg

Mikes Rhopalostylis chatham Island Rhopalostylis seedlings from Pogobob. Mine seem to grow alot faster in chilly Tasmania .

Rhopalostylischatham.jpg

gorgeous teddy bear at dusk

teddybear.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Nice spindle

spibndle.jpg

Cyphophoenix nucele

Nucele.jpg

Mike what is this one ?

Notsure.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

mike1.jpg

mike2.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Liculala ramsayi

Liculalaramsayi.jpg

tall Chambeyronia

macrocarpa.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

lepidota

Lepidota.jpg

Kentiopsis piersonorum

Kentiopsisp.jpg

Jubaeopsis caffra

Jubaopsiscaffra.jpg

Burretiokentia hapala

hapapla.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Foxtail

foxtail.jpg

Jubaea x Butia

Jubaeaxbutia.jpg

Cyphophenix elegans was too tall to fit in the picture - only Mike would have that problem !

elegans.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Hi Troy, the video wouldn't play for me , it said it was private, might check the settings on that one.

Mike, your Marojejya is so impressive, world class.

Hang on, how do we know you blokes weren't buried out in the desert and that you've come back as clones ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

After some afternoon tea and tasty biscuits my ride was waiting to take me back to Brisbane !

Thanks Mike for a great afternoon !

:greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb: 4 stars for this garden

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks wal i just fixed the video mate !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Those are some nicely grown palms. Well done Mike! :greenthumb: After seeing yours, I'm definitely going to have to try another Marojejya

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

:yay: <---- seems about right... THANKS :greenthumb:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Guys for the positive coments and Troy for the visit , i just wished the garden looked a bit healthier...fact is it's still recovering from the shitty growing season from last year( next to no rain and too many hot days have sunburnt a lot of the palms) :rant: .News of an El Nino event coming our way is the last thing i need here atm...i hope the weather forecasters are wrong....cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Excellent selection of Palms, Mike, and they are all looking fine. thanks Troy for the photos...yes, Pigafetta and Rhopies in the same garden is a privilege...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 2 weeks later...

Your place is looking great Mike, that M. darianii makes me optimistic about our winter. Mine is growing but slow. Did you do any soil conditioning? Rhop chatham island seedlings...could i twist your arm ?!

Definitely makes me want to pull up roots (my own) and relocate to northeast Australia. Thanks for the tour, Mike and Troy.

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kris, where the M . darianii is growing is in a retaining wall,a metre high full of organic black soil and it gets seepage from the bank behind it...perfect position considering it grows naturally in a peat swamp in Madagascar.It's a water hog!.You can twist my arm on the Rhop "chatham island" seedlings as well...give me a call...Cheers Mike Green(Newcal) :)

I'm drooling after all that. :drool:

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Three questions: How old is the garden? How far back off the road do the plantings extend? How many acres?

Gardens a beauty ay!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks for the photos Troy. Nice piece of property Mike, always enjoy updates of a fine collection.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Mike,

What impresses me the most is that you are able to grow such a wide range of palms. And that includes some of the rarest, hard to grow palms I know of. Damn impressed! I would really like to see your garden if I ever get over your way.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You definitely have to come over for a visit Jeff! Our climate here is strange for sure. We can grow lots of different stuff from both ends of the palm spectrum. At home I have Pigafetta growing a few metres from Jubaea...Mike has Marojeyja and Parajubaea growing side by side etc etc

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

After hearing that....impressed!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You guys are too kind, fact is garden is really struggling atm...need rain desperately,hard to keep the water up to everything and i've lost a few palms to the cold/ drought...been a crappy winter.To answer your questions Dave ,the garden is 14 years old on 3.5 acres and starts from the front boundary and Jeff i'd be honoured to show you around if you ever visit oz...Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)