IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus range of growth in US Southwest

bubba

I know numerous varieties of Ficus grow throughout California. I have also recently read of Ficus being actively planted and grown sucessfully throughout Arizona. Can anyone give me examples of brave plantings that have successfully quashed sterotypes? This should include South Texas and any other places  in the world that are surprising.

What you look for is what is looking

yeah people plant the @$%^& things here!!!! then every so often the power that be reachs down and freezes them to the ground!! or at leat evry two years tip prunes the snot out of them.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

The best i have heard around the North of Cali are a group of large Bo trees, Ficus religiosa, planted around a swimming pool in Berkeley. My F. petiolaris in a big pot is a distant 432 or so...

there is an old struggeling ficus macrophylla in the Strybing in Coastal San Francisco, and then a large one inland in Fremont.  I have F. altissima in my yard in Corte Madera (just north of SF) as well as Ficus elastica, and rubiginosa. I haven't seen them in over a year though.

I'm always up for learning new things!

The Macrophylla at GGP isnt struggling..it's just ignored and not pruned into any kind of defined shape .I just saw it and if it was in a suburban yard would be a beauty. The SF botanical park tree is just squeezed by close by trees and with too many low suckers and if all that wasnt enough-its placed by the toilets in the park. It in a way is the story of many tropicals in the local botanical gardens-they are looked down as noveltys by staff and yet the public is awed by them.

Dracanea draco is hardy in the bay area..not one of the local botanical gardens has one. The same for Schefflera puckleri..and  many Ficus like auriculata.

Ficus.....how fast they grow compared to those sluggy palms!

Have been collecting Ficus for some time now in my "ficarium" with climate conditions similar as San Diego it's real fun to be able to SEE a plant grow from a pinpoint seed to a meter high in just a year.

This is my list:

abutifolia,alli,altissima,australis,aurea

benghalensis,benjamina

cyathistipula

elastica

lingua,lutea,lyrata

macrophylla,microcarpa

neriifolia,nitida

obliqua,obtusifolia

palmerii,petiolaris

religiosa

sur,sycomorus

Most of them are no more than two years old: the dry weather species have problems in the winter but always come back.

Looking for F.dammarops and F.religiosa var"krishna" now can anybody help?

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

I have neriifolia.It,like the religiosa and my other ficus are grown as Bonsai-space constraints. The neriifolia bore figs at barely 6-8". I would say it will grow here as a tree if given a chance. Another great ficus is F.microcarpa "emerald island" or gem as it sometimes is called. I have a hard time believing botanist who say it is just a microcaprus.The leaves are much more glossy and succulent than microcarpus/nitida.

All are outdoor all year.

I have tried F. elastica and nitidia here in Austin.  Elastica died to the ground during the winter.  Grew a little during following summer but kicked the bucket during the next winter.

F. nitida had little damage each winter and has continued to get bigger during the summers.  It is till small though. 3 feet across and 3 feet tall.  Even survived 1/4 inch ice on the leaves.  Seems to be a tough ficus.

I have seen 1 or 2 large ficus in Corpus Christi and Galveston with aerial roots formingn or already formed.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 1 month later...

Ficus nitida in Tucson

fnbefore.jpg

Ficus elastica in Phoenix

101_0529.jpg

Ficus nitida and Delonix regia in Phoenix

PHXareaDelonix5.jpg

Ficus benghalensis in Scottsdale

100_9436.jpg

Ficus nitida

100_9791.jpg

Ficus nitida

100_9874.jpg

Ficus nitida

100_9788.jpg

Ficus nitida

100_9823.jpg

Ficus nitida

100_9861.jpg

Ficus nitdia in Tucson

100_8987.jpg

Ficus elastica in Phoenix

PVFicuselastica.jpg

Ficus nitdia in Yuma

298085297iebtUh_ph.jpg

Two more in Yuma.

FicusnitidaYuma.jpg

An elastica in Tucson.

FicuselasticainTucson.jpg

Some more F. nitdia in Scottsdale.

Ficusnitidagraytrunk.jpg

Ficus are great trees in zone 9b and 10a AZ.

Lee

Zac, I'm working my up to a ton of Ficus nitdia pics, still a few pounds short, but I'm getting close. It's the perfect non native tree in AZ to me. Evergreen, smooth dark green leaves, clean gray trunk, dense canopy, heat tolerant, drought tolerant, fast growing and able to withstand zone 9 winters.

However all that being said I would like to see more native Ficus of the Sonoran Desert used in cultivation in the Sonoran Desert. Call me crazy but it would seem like a decent idea. All the Ficus we saw in habitat can be found in Arizona, but just token plantings. And some of those Ficus we saw in Sonora are hardier than Ficus nitida. I plan to get back down to Sonora and collect some seeds.

Lee

Cool. I was looking back at some of the pics and I was spotting Ficus and things in the background. BTW I have 4 Washingtonia seedlings form the Nacapule site now, so I'll see how they do.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I've got F. nitida, as the Hedge from Hell, across the back 40 of my place, about 40 feet (13 m) tall.

And, I've just planted an F.  petiolaris from Mexico, with nice pink leaf veins, dang that thing's tough, like all else from Sonora . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Lee, Thank you for the extraordinary Ficus shots in Arizona. These trees look extremely healthy and I am surprised they are not more widely planted in your area.

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba, Ficus are the number one selling shade tree in zone 10 AZ. And their popular is catching on here in 9b Tucson.

Here are some ad's from the largest nursery in the state:

55.jpg

56.jpg

Lee

• 5 years later...

In San Francisco and Oakland I've seen happy Ficus nitida, elastica, rubiginosa, macrophylla, aff. watkinsiana, carica, benjamina, repens, afghanistanica, religiosa, sp. unk. collected in highland Indonesia...and auriculata.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Try using street view in Brownsville, Texas and you will see tons of dead (frozen to the ground?) F. benjamania from last February lol. Most other Ficus look like they froze to the main trunk, although there are some nearer the coast that look better. According to Richard Travis, F. nitida and macrophylla had the least dieback. Surprisingly, there were a few coconuts that survived...

:) Jonathan

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

a couple of Ficus growing at the University of AZ campus in Tucson, AZ

Ficus insipida

102_0441.jpg

Ficus petiolaris

102_0445.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 8 years later...

I'm bringing this old thread back to life again.  Do any of you Southern Californians know how Ficus Nitida does in the chillier parts of the Inland Empire?  For example, I'm referring to the zone roughly contained within:  Murrietta, Lake Elsinore, Moreno Valley, Perris, Hemet, Menifee, etc.  Would a Ficus Nitida defoliate in winter there?  I understand that this zone is colder than Corona and Riverside, although I"m not sure why (elevation?). 

If you don't use ficus as screening trees in that region (to block out your neighbours), what else do you use?  I may have seen podocarpus growing around there, but podocarpus grow too slowly to form a quick screen.   I've also seen Italian Cypress used as screening trees in the Inland Empire, but they don't seem to "screen" very well because they are too skinny.  What else?  Your suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.