IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold Hardy Palms For Sale In North Florida

tank

Decided to post these in one spot. Kinda getting prodded to get rid of some of my plants by my wife who accused me of being a hoarder.

Pick-up only. Delivery if convenient.

Will drop the price 10% if you're buying more than 5 plants.

Have many of most and only a few of some.

Will try to get recent pics of all of these up over the next few days.

Located near here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Palm+Point+Park/@29.63674,-82.23773,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xfe8b396f1577c2cd

Message me on PT or call if you have any questions.

Phone: 352-317-2246

Palm Size Price

Archontophoenix alexandrae 7 gal $35.00

Arenga micrantha 7 gal $35.00

Arenga microcarpa (1 available) 25 gal $100.00

Butia "formerly known as capitata" 7 gal $15.00

Caryota himalaya 15 gal $45.00

Caryota mitis (1 available) 30 gal $80.00

Chamaedorea microspadix 7 gal $35.00

Chamaedorea microspadix 15 gal $45.00

Chamaerops humulis "cerifera" 7 gal $30.00

Copernicia alba 7 gal $30.00

Livistona decora 7 gal $35.00

Livistona muellerii 7 gal $35.00

Livistona nitida 7 gal $35.00

Livistona rigida 7 gal $35.00

Phoenix loureiroi var humilis 7 gal $35.00

Phoenix sylvestris 7 gal $20.00

Sabal causiarum 7 gal $30.00

Sabal causiarum 15 gal $45.00

Sabal domingensis 7 gal $30.00

Sabal domingensis 15 gal $45.00

Sabal maritima 7 gal $35.00

Sabal uresana 7 gal $35.00

Trachycarpus fortunei 7 gal $20.00

Trachycarpus nanus (1 available) 7 gal $40.00

Trachycarpus wagnerianus 15 gal $75.00

Trachycarpus wagnerianus 20 gal $100.00

Sabal Uresana

post-526-0-39485400-1402501531_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Archontophoenix alexandrae

post-526-0-32751800-1402502578_thumb.jpg

Caryota mitis

post-526-0-39126900-1402502605_thumb.jpg

Sabal domingensis 7 and 15 gal

post-526-0-49322700-1402502659_thumb.jpg

Sabal maritima

post-526-0-41680000-1402502836_thumb.jpg

Livistona nitida

post-526-0-40308100-1402502907_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

If you organize them into neat piles, then you're actually a "stacker" not just a hoarder. I was recently relieved to find this out. Much more orderly. I think I'm off the hook.

• Upvote 1

Jason,

I sent you a PM.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Trachycarpus nanus

post-526-0-18301100-1402668980_thumb.jpg

post-526-0-80793800-1402669029_thumb.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae

post-526-0-72700900-1402669122_thumb.jpg

Livistona muellerii (only have a few of these in 7 gal)

post-526-0-28049200-1402669290_thumb.jpg

Livistona decora

post-526-0-58228600-1402669373_thumb.jpg

Livistona nitida

post-526-0-60802900-1402669554_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Sabal causiarum (15 gal sold out)

post-526-0-29396600-1402670884_thumb.jpg

Phoenix loureiroi v. humilis (2 left)

post-526-0-50045900-1402671018_thumb.jpg

Chamaedorea microspadix (Makes a great house plant as well)

post-526-0-45794600-1402671097_thumb.jpg

Caryota spp himalaya (bad pic! 15 gal plant is about 12' tall in pot)

post-526-0-02923700-1402671298_thumb.jpg

Copernicia alba (growing in partial shade causes these to get leggy)

post-526-0-54674400-1402671412_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

those all look nicely grown. someone should jump on these. figuratively speaking, of course :yay:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Paul,

Don't jump on the Livistonas, or especially the C. alba! They have a bite you won't soon forget.... Whenever I work around them, I talk like the Crocodile Hunter "No Biting".

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Jason,

Still on track to be there late afternoon. Will give you a call once we have more definitive ETA. I need to get to bed so I can get up in the morning! Geeze.

Keith,

Thanks for stopping by. I hope the palms grow well for you down on the Ridge.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 1 month later...

Only a couple of the Caryotas left. You know I don't want to drag these back into the greenhouse this winter.....

Also, make me an offer on the Arenga microcarpa or the Caryota mitis. These are large plants that I do not want to haul back and forth either.

Also willing to trade for other cold hardy palms, cycads. Looking for green petioled Livistona saribus.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 2 months later...

Hi Tank. I just saw your post now. Sorry for the delay - looks like it started back in July.

Is your Arenga Microcarpa still for sale? If so, a couple of questions first: How has this tree fared for you in North Florida? (winter-wise) Are you finding it about the same in hardiness as Arenga Micrantha? Same as Arenga Engleri? Please feel free to email me regarding these details instead of posting here.

$100 is dirt cheap for this rare palm, especially for a 25 gallons size. I just have to figure out where I have space to plant it.

By the way, your arenga micrantha has turned out to be a surprisingly fast grower for me after less than a year. And it is really eye-catching too. I am so glad I bought it.

Thanks.

Sandy,

Glad to hear that the arenga is doing well. Hopefully we'll have another mild winter so it can really get established.

The A. microcarpa is only leaf hardy to the upper 20s F. I originally purchased it with a bunch of other stuff thinking I was getting A. micrantha, had it get damaged when it experienced temps in the mid twenties. Tulio, a fellow who posts occasionally on palmtalk was visiting and looked at the plant and really thought it was something different from micrantha. I contacted the grower who I picked it up from and he confirmed it was A. microcarpa. He runs A-quality Plant in Ruskin and these were among some "hobby" plants he was selling. I would say its hardiness is on par with a king palm, maybe slightly hardier. It can take some cold but a decent frost will mess the leaves up, even if the temps are in the 30s. It will get damaged in Gainesville on all but the mildest of winters and probably killed outright with temps close to 20F.

I've had this plant for awhile as I picked it up as a 1 gal. It seems to be a slower grower than Arenga engleri or micrantha. Pretty plant.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Okay, thanks Tank. I guess Arenga Microcarpa is off the list for me in that case, but would be a great buy for someone 2 hours south of us in Central Florida (anybody out there reading this?) It looks huge, and a great value for the price --- and truly an eye-catcher.

I'll sleep on your other sale items, assuming that some of it is still left.

Thanks, man.

Still have most everything. Its been a great growing season.

Hope the other stuff you picked up in the spring is doing well.

Jason

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 2 months later...

These palms are very healthy and well grown! Ive been very pleased with the ones I got (though Arenga micrantha is a slug to get established!)

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Krishna, I had the opposite experience with Arenga Micrantha. Mine took only a couple of months to get established and then really took off over the summer. (Mine came from Tank, so maybe he's the best source for a vigorous Arenga Micrantha)

Tank, I am finally back now, so I can pick up those four+ palms any time, although I am in no rush. We can PM about the details. Thanks again.

I got mine from Jason too, but I didn't plant them until late summer so maybe it took them a while to get established then the colder weather started. They look absolutely perfect though, so Im anticipating them starting growing when it warms up again!

-Krishna

Thanks Sandy and Krishna,

I hope the winter treats us well and we get a head start in the spring. Hopefully only 1.5 months left of freezes to worry about.

Jason

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hey Jason, the Sabal causiarum and S. uresana that I got from you last week look great, thanks! Mom was wanting to get some "BIG" palms, so I think those fit the bill. Hope the two palms I traded with do well for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Frank,

I'm really excited about the Brahea moorii. Keep me posted on how the plants do for you. S. uresana needs a little time to get established but once it does it will grow at a nice clip, especially if fertilized and mulched.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 1 month later...

Bump,

Winter appears to be over. As it was relatively mild, everything is looking pretty great going into spring. Who doesn't want 20 or so trachys?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Man I keep wanting to get down that way...you still got alot from your original list?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

What's the OA size and quantity on those trachys, Tank?

The ones in the 7 gal pots are about 7' in the pot with about 6" of "trunk".

I'll try and get some pics up.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Man I keep wanting to get down that way...you still got alot from your original list?

Dave, here is the new list. If you're interested in picking some up, let me know what you want and I'll either post or send some pics of the best of what I have left.

Palm Size Price

Archontophoenix alexandrae (1 available) 7 gal $35.00

Arenga micrantha (~5 available) 7 gal $35.00

Arenga microcarpa (1 available) 25 gal $100.00

Butia "formerly known as capitata" 7 gal $15.00

Caryota himalaya (4 available) 15 gal $45.00

Caryota mitis (1 available) 30 gal $80.00

Chamaedorea microspadix 7 gal $35.00

Chamaedorea microspadix 15 gal $45.00

Chamaerops humulis "cerifera" 7 gal $30.00

Copernicia alba 7 gal $30.00

Livistona decora 7 gal $35.00

Livistona muellerii (2 available) 7 gal $35.00

Livistona nitida 7 gal $35.00

Livistona rigida (~5 available) 7 gal $35.00

Phoenix loureiroi var humilis (1 available) 7 gal $35.00

Phoenix sylvestris 7 gal $20.00

Sabal causiarum 7 gal $30.00

Sabal causiarum 15 gal $45.00

Sabal domingensis 7 gal $30.00

Sabal domingensis OUT 15 gal $45.00

Sabal maritima OUT 7 gal $35.00

Sabal uresana (~5 available) 7 gal $35.00

Trachycarpus fortunei 7 gal $20.00

Trachycarpus nanus OUT 7 gal $40.00

Trachycarpus wagnerianus 15 gal $75.00

Trachycarpus wagnerianus 20 gal $100.00

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Thanks...sent your list to my buddy over in Crawfordville...he says that G-ville is only 2 hours away....may have to try and sneak over there this spring. Just need money....dang money thing gets in the way everytime!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Had a visit from a really nice forum member yesterday and he picked up some stuff. Here are some updates.

Livistona rigida (~3 available) 7 gal $35.00

Phoenix loureiroi var humilis OUT 7 gal $35.00

Sabal uresana (~3 available) 7 gal $35.00

Trachycarpus wagnerianus (3 available) 15 gal $75.00

Trachycarpus wagnerianus (2 available) 20 gal $100.00

Have a few additional S. uresana and L. muelleri, but these were bumped to a 7 gal last fall and will probably take a year or two (or three) to get to size. Like all sabals, these grow MUCH faster in the ground.

Also, I have been looking for Livistona saribus and would love to trade for one or more of these. Especially if you bring it to my house :winkie: .

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Had a visit from a really nice forum member yesterday and he picked up some stuff. Here are some updates.

Have a few additional S. uresana and L. muelleri, but these were bumped to a 7 gal last fall and will probably take a year or two (or three) to get to size. Like all sabals, these grow MUCH faster in the ground.

Also, I have been looking for Livistona saribus and would love to trade for one or more of these. Especially if you bring it to my house :winkie: .

Is this in addition to the list from March 3rd, or is this what is left?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

What's left

Is this in addition to the list from March 3rd, or is this what is left?

What's left

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Tank, if I lived up that way, I would be so grateful for a source like you--your prices are great, and considering the complete lack of availability up that way, you are really providing a service! Keep pushing the palms sir!

Sabal uresana is a palm no yard (with space) should be without. Even when they aren't the bright silver form they look spectacular every time I've seen one in Florida (at the botanical gardens). Very large, and hardy!

-Krishna

Sabal uresana is a palm no yard (with space) should be without. Even when they aren't the bright silver form they look spectacular every time I've seen one in Florida (at the botanical gardens). Very large, and hardy!

I sure love mine! It even makes me want to chop the causiarum down, next to it.

I agree guy's, I also cant wait until my tiny 1 gal S. Uresana gets to me a monster.

Keep up the good work Tank :greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hmmm, seems like 2 of those are coming to a garden near me. Very very near me.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

From my limited experience, S. uresana will fade to a dull grey with maturity in the south east. The newest leaves seem to still have some nice blue/grey tint to them even on the older plants. All of my plants started out as "brilliant" blue in color.

Something along the lines of this, with possibly more grey:

MPC00083100-2.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

This color only seems to stay with the strap leaves and the character leaves tend to be a light blue/ grey color. Like many "blue/silver/grey" palms, they tend to "dull up", or green up, if grown in the shade.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida