IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hemithrinax ekmaniana seeds from MBC being auctioned off

Zeeth

Mod, feel free to delete this if it's inappropriate.

Montgomery botanical center is auctioning off 3 packs of 100 seeds of Hemithrinac ekmaniana. The bids are higher than I would like, and I don't need 100 seeds, so I won't be buying these, but I thought that this is a palm that some of you might be interested in, and this is a rare opportunity, so I'm posting it here. Bidding ends on the 9th.

http://www.botanicalauctions.com/auction/active_auctions.php?offset=15&user_id=

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I'm glad you posted on this. These seeds have been up for auction two other times that I know of, and they always go for big bucks. I had a discussion with Jeff Searle about this, and his opinion, of which I agreed with was, that perhaps smaller quantities of seeds could be offered for auction to perhaps give some other individuals an opportunity to win the bids. Most collectors, including myself, do not want 100 seeds, even if the germination rate happens to be poor. I think it would be great to have the seeds of this amazing palm a little more spread out between growers and collectors alike, so that more can be seen, grown and appreciated across a broader scale.

I'm glad you posted on this. These seeds have been up for auction two other times that I know of, and they always go for big bucks. I had a discussion with Jeff Searle about this, and his opinion, of which I agreed with was, that perhaps smaller quantities of seeds could be offered for auction to perhaps give some other individuals an opportunity to win the bids. Most collectors, including myself, do not want 100 seeds, even if the germination rate happens to be poor. I think it would be great to have the seeds of this amazing palm a little more spread out between growers and collectors alike, so that more can be seen, grown and appreciated across a broader scale.

I definitely agree with you there. I just hope that the seed goes to someone like Jeff who regular palm collectors can buy from later on.

On that note, do you know if they ever auction Attalea crassispatha seeds? It's very endangered, but so is Hemithrinax, but I've never heard of anyone who owns one in a private garden.

Keith 

On that note, do you know if they ever auction Attalea crassispatha seeds? It's very endangered, but so is Hemithrinax, but I've never heard of anyone who owns one in a private garden.

No seeds but believe we have one in the garden

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Confirmed...stop on by sometime

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Confirmed...stop on by sometime

You just have everything! I wish I was in South Florida more often. Next time I'm down there I definitely will stop by.

Keith 

Here's a few Hemi's I saw on my trip to Cuba...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-01795700-1401941226_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-99364700-1401941308_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-11628500-1401941383_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-78262100-1401941473_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

There are other A. crassispatha in private collections (this I know because we installed one a couple years ago). The large ones here in Florida have been flowering for a number of years but there has been no seed set that I am aware of. I would love to be proven wrong on the latter -- in which case, sign me up for some seed!

• 11 months later...

There are other A. crassispatha in private collections (this I know because we installed one a couple years ago). The large ones here in Florida have been flowering for a number of years but there has been no seed set that I am aware of. I would love to be proven wrong on the latter -- in which case, sign me up for some seed!

University of Florida's TREC and Fairchild has them at the blooming size. Unaware if viable seed has been forthcoming as of yet. :bummed:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I would also be very interested in A. crassispatha seeds, I have been searching them a long time and didn't see any inflorescence when I was at Fairchild.

What price do the Hemithrinax usually end up being sold?

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Here's a few Hemi's I saw on my trip to Cuba...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Thanks for the pics! Did you propagate the ones in containers?

No.Those pics were taken in Cuba where Hemithrinax is native.

I do have a few Hemithrinax planted in my Arizona garden and also in pots, and it appears to be a very tough and forgiving species.Probably grows 4 or 5 new fronds each year.2 thumbs up as a desert palm!Mine are several years old and still in 2 gallon size pots.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-50918800-1433478697_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-42018900-1433478725_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

What price do the Hemithrinax usually end up being sold?

Seeds sell for $1 -$3 each. 1 gallon plants sell for $75 to $150 each.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Scott where did you buy yours?

they look perfect

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I bought mine from 2 different sources in Florida 4 years ago.Still an extremely rare palm, even in Cuba.They seem to be very strong growers but are slow to gain much in size.Someday...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

• 7 years later...

What a difference a few years makes...:D

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220618_154113328.jpg

• Like 4

Mesa, Arizona