IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Adonidia x Veitchia show some interesting traits

JD in the OC

We have successfully pollinated our Adonidia merrillii with Veitchia arecina pollen. The question becomes, is this technically an intergeneric cross (Butia x Syagrus) or an interspecific cross (Syagrus schizophylla x romanzoffiana) since Adonidia used to be Veichia?

In any case. Here are the seeds. Notice the racing stripes (much like in some Wodyetia x Veitchia seeds). They are definitely a bit larger than standard Adonidia merrilli seed.

IMG_20140429_162354_zps1ad2c1d3.jpg

photo55_zps7765aaed.jpg

wodveitchiaandadoveitchia_zpsf100fdfd.jp

The seeds seem to have a slightly ruminate endosperm

seedinside_zpsfc04ebe2.jpg

A small 3 gallon plant that we acquired from a friend in Ft. Lauderdale. It was discovered growing underneath an Adonidia in his nursery

xAdoveitchiastem_zps72d0b956.jpg

xAdoveitchia_zps6bef37c6.jpg

A slightly larger specimen that was produced by nature- we discovered it a couple years ago growing underneath a local Adonidia

xAdoveitchiaSept13_zpsd23c1fc5.jpg

And one from the same batch as above plant, except this one (below) was planted in the ground when about 16inches tall. That was about 2 to 2.5 yrs ago.

photo52_zps1b5c3256.jpg

Leaflets share some traits of both parents

photo13_zps22f9bcd8.jpg

Lots of dark ramenta on the leaf sheaths from the Veitchia father

AdonxVeitcrwn_zpsac97c774.jpg

More compact leaf crown from its Adonidia mother (this one is trunking so the fronds won't get any larger than this)

photo12_zps7f967420.jpg

I think this hybrid may be a winner for SoCal. I know Adonidia doesn't grow out there and is very slow in greenhouses (at least it was for me). I imagine this Adoveitchia hybrid planted in doubles or triples would be a winner for SoCal. The "California Christmas Palm" perhaps?? :)

That's assuming the hybrid is hardy enough to survive in SoCal, and that's a big assumption that the hardiness trait repeats like it does with Foxy Lady.

Gorgeous palm though. Yes, WANT.

Beautiful plant, pictures and superb commentary. I did not realise that Adonida also had jagged ends to the leaflets. Thanks

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Nice cross, Definitely see traits of both parents in it. Looking forward to Further info on how well it handles the cold.

-Nathan-

Pando,

I am basing my theory on the fact that Veitchia arecina does quite well in Orange County, San Diego County, and coastal LA county. The hybrid vigor of the cross should make it well adapted for most of those areas as well- combined population being 9.2 million people...

JD

Thanks JD,

My point was that we don't know until we try. The hardiness trait is an assumption - it could very well be inherited from Adonidia merillii, which does not grow here.

Pando,

So, you are saying that I just like to make assumptions to push some kind of agenda? I'm not sure what your point is. Obviously experience with growing the hybrid in the region is the best form of proof. The hardiness I am claiming, however, is not based on an assumption. All hybrids between two species, whether intergeneric or interspecific, indisputably display more cold hardiness- a trait in horticulture called heterogeny. Thus, before any growth experience is actually done in SoCal, it can be ascertained that the hybrid WILL be more cold hardy than the pure, unhybridized form of Adonidia merrillii. Lastly, I have experience growing both Adonidia and Veitchia in both SoCal and South Florida, coupled with experience growing xAdoveitchia here in South Florida for at least 3 years.

JD

any idea on when these will be offered for sale?

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Pando,

I am basing my theory on the fact that Veitchia arecina does quite well in Orange County, San Diego County, and coastal LA county. The hybrid vigor of the cross should make it well adapted for most of those areas as well- combined population being 9.2 million people...

JD

my 5gal Veitchia arecina was planted in a spot that gets full direct sun year round and it got real burnt pretty bad through our hot fall/winter but the spike that just opened up is looking much better. i think in a more protected spot this one would have done significantly better but i'm hoping a Wodyetia, which is the same size and growing right next to it, will give it some canopy eventually

Pando,

JD

my 5gal Veitchia arecina was planted in a spot that gets full direct sun year round and it got real burnt pretty bad through our hot fall/winter but the spike that just opened up is looking much better. i think in a more protected spot this one would have done significantly better but i'm hoping a Wodyetia, which is the same size and growing right next to it, will give it some canopy eventually

im sure it will do better in a protected spot. i have one thats seen 2 winters under my jacaranda tree with no damage and my place hit 26f 2 winters ago.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Pando,

JD

im sure it will do better in a protected spot. i have one thats seen 2 winters under my jacaranda tree with no damage and my place hit 26f 2 winters ago.

wow, it doesn't get that cold out here, i'm going to leave it as it is and see if that wodyetia will outgrow it but if i don't get any protection from the wodyetia in a couple years and it's still getting real burnt i'll most likely have to pull it out and try it elsewhere

Justen,

Nice Thread and well done. Out here in So Cal, I do not think of Veitchia merrillii (Adonidia) as being a good palm for us. There are a few around that have made it through winter, but most die due to cold. V. arecina seems to be more cold hardy. Larry Black in the O.C. has a big one that's fruited multiple times.

But, hybrid vigor is an unpredictable thing and who knows what this hybrid will do. If it indeed shows more cold hardiness, it'll be a winner.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Thats a very cool looking hybrid.

I'm getting some germiantion of seeds off a possible Adonidia/Carpentaria hybrid growing in Jupiter, FL.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Stevetoad, we should have seedlings ready for sale later this year or early next year.

That sounds interesting Eric. Are you saying that it's a hybrid that is producing seeds (F2)?

JD

Stevetoad, we should have seedlings ready for sale later this year or early next year.

That sounds interesting Eric. Are you saying that it's a hybrid that is producing seeds (F2)?

JD

Please count me in too when putting together a shipment to SoCal.

I think this hybrid may be a winner for SoCal. I know Adonidia doesn't grow out there and is very slow in greenhouses (at least it was for me). I imagine this Adoveitchia hybrid planted in doubles or triples would be a winner for SoCal. The "California Christmas Palm" perhaps?? :)

nice advertisement...

Grant
Long Beach, CA

JD- I volunteer to be the first inland empire California test grower :)

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think that I may have just stumbled across a couple of these palms?? They were supposed to be standard foxy lady palms but are clearly different.

Justen do you think these might be the same as yours? The last pic shows a stunted leaf which certainly indicate Adonidia to me.... we often see stunted leaves on our Adonidia after winter here and guess what its just after winter here now. I don't believe I have ever seen a foxy x veitchia show a stunted leaf before?

post-6412-0-75922600-1414024517_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-41648200-1414024550_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-06483200-1414024616_thumb.jp

Kenny

I see a little resemblance to our hybrid, but im pretty sure you have a juvenile Veitchia arecina there. Yours lacks the ramenta at the top of the crownshaft and the heavy tomentum on the crownshaft. Also, the Adondia x Veitchia has upright fronds with slightly recurved tips.

Please post some updated pics when a bit larger and we can tell for sure ;)

JD

• 2 years later...

Is anyone else growing this? Mine hasn't been bothered by any cold damage, but has certainly been super slow.

16 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Is anyone else growing this? Mine hasn't been bothered by any cold damage, but has certainly been super slow.

Where did you get one?  I NEED some! :yay::yay::yay:

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Where did you get one?  I NEED some! :yay::yay::yay:

This was over a year or so ago when Justen from Seabreeze was doing mail order. Unfortunately it looks like he isn't doing mail order anymore...

More photos of this hybrid in this thread would be great, esp since the thread is old and most pics no longer show up.   :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Purchased in November 2015. Super hardy, no cold damage, but hasn't really done much yet. It's been in this spot in the ground for exactly one year.

IMG_8928.JPG

IMG_8927.JPG

IMG_8926.JPG

edit: Here it was as a baby, so it's definitely made some progress. Hopefully this year it will take off. IMG_5155.thumb.JPG.2f5b8f7a9732f775664c4

23 minutes ago, Pando said:

Nice one Matt, I hope it starts cranking. And that must have been a lot of Panda Express cooking sauce.

:lol:

• 3 years later...

It's time to bump the thread how is your cross doing Matt . I just acquired a small palm that might be the same. A Local grower started some adonidia seeds and some of the seeds were different. The true form all died but but the other form kept growing well and he thinks this is the same cross (adoveitchia) . Here's a couple pictures of the palm  what do you guys think ? I am growing V. Arecina and this one looks different than mine when it was this age . I also have an adonidia that's growing in my shade house that is  slow as molasses.that I have no plans on trying in ground 

20201224_103913.jpg

20201224_103856.jpg

20201224_104000.jpg

20201224_103953.jpg

20201224_104047.jpg