IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia Viscosa seed

colin Peters

Not even sure it is legal to own this one, but would a couple of seeds. Not sure if anyone

has the real thing in cultivation??

aloha

Might want to get in contact with Jeff Marcus. Other than him, I don't know of anyone with this species in cultivation.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Kokioula, I was on Kauai a few weeks ago and went to end of road at North Shore. There is a small private botanical garden on the Mt. side of the road, cant remember the name, and it was closed at the time, but up past the entrance gate on the left were Pritchardia that almost had to be Viscosa, very silver white. I have seen quite a few Pritchardia, but nothing like it before. Ever seen them??  Someday I want to go run the pole line trail, but I have heard it is way to over grown??

aloha

• Upvote 1

I believe you are talking about Limahuli Garden.  If it is, it's run by the National Tropical Botanical gardens, the same people as the Allerton, McBryde, along with Kahanu on Maui and a few others. Limahui is on my list of gardens to visit for sure. Also, since their part of the NTBG, they are probably heavily concerned with conservation so if they do have any Viscosa, its probable that they are collecting the seed.

Edited by Jesse
  • Upvote 2

Aloha, Limahuli garden is very near end of road by Ke'e. NTBG has never planted any viscosa in public parts of the gardens. The state and botanical gardens are intentionally keeping this species a secret. The species growing at the garden entrance is purposely mislabeled, and was known as P limahuliensis, now regarded as P Perlmanii by Hodel's revision.    I have hiked powerline many times, it is very muddy. My only recent attempt was futile, as it was severely overgrown and I was unequipped with bush armor. P hardyi and P perlmanii both exhibit gorgeous silver tomentum, but don't have quite as flat and large leaves with the distinct perfectly upright leaf tips. 4 species can be seen on powerline if one knows where to look. 

• Upvote 1

These were the only pictures I got of them. From the road, outside the gate

aloha

IMG_0755 (1).jpg

IMG_0754 (1).jpg

• Upvote 4

Had the chance to hear Jeff Marcus speak on Saturday.  Among many species he referenced this one as one that needs to be spread far and wide in cultivation.  ...as a conservation strategy.

He is right, imho.  It is a real missed chance to save this and other palm species by keeping these palms hidden and hording seed by those who have it.

This is an unreal gorgeous palm that could be better preserved if it were spread far and wide.  Including in my garden... :)

• Upvote 1

@Hammer I completely agree with you and Jeff Marcus except maybe in this case.  The NTGB is actively involved in habitat restoration. They are not like the other gardens he mentioned that seek to have a collection and let the seeds go to waist.  Their goal is to save the many endangered or extinct in the wild species.  As much as I want seeds as well, I think I'd rather leave this one up to them.  If I heard correctly, I thought Jeff Marcus said he has a few specimens he was trying to mature that he could then spread into cultivation.  I will happily wait for some of those.

• Upvote 1