IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chilean fire tree a great tree in zones 8 & 9

Palm crazy

Chilean Fire Tree. One of the most dramatic plants for zone 8-9 area’s. It grows in the temperate forests of Chile and Argentina.These requires moderate climate where it can become a 50' + narrow tree that is usually multi-trunked. In late May and June, this is a tower of blazing red-orange tubular flowers and you will get little else done other than answering questions from the neighbors about just what is that tree? Best protected from freezing winds, mine is fully exposed. Being in the Proteaceae, they don't enjoy phosphorous so be careful what you fertilize them with. Rather than think too hard on it, I just ladle some leaf mulch around my tree.

It is grown as an ornamental in Great Britain and the U.S., and as far north as the Faroe Islands at 62° North latitude.

Here some pics from my little tree. Not yet in full bloom so many more flowers to enjoy.

DSC00015_zps5233d5f9.jpg

DSC00009_zpsebcdd5bb.jpg

DSC00011_zps0c6edc78.jpg

DSC00012_zps398a0d9c.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Researching Now.......hmm...doesn't look like it would work in the southeast. To hot and humid. Anybody grwoing these down here?

• Like 2

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Researching Now.......will report back when I got more info...ok boss

Please let me know, cause I already gotsta have one.

• Like 2

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

David & Keith, I did a little checking and it looks like it hates nighttime heat. The one I have is called, Embothrium coccineum var. lanceolatum which is more tender to cold but still a big maybe in your hot summer climate.

Here some feedback from some of the west coast nursery’s that sell the different spp.

http://plantlust.com/plants/embothrium-coccineum/

Desert northwest nursery- “It is at its best in cool, coastal climates; and tends to be challenging in climates with hot, humid summers.

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

David & Keith, I did a little checking and it looks like it hates nighttime heat. The one I have is called, Embothrium coccineum var. lanceolatum which is more tender to cold but still a big maybe in your hot summer climate.

Here some feedback from some of the west coast nursery’s that sell the different spp.

http://plantlust.com/plants/embothrium-coccineum/

Desert northwest nursery- “It is at its best in cool, coastal climates; and tends to be challenging in climates with hot, humid summers.

Ruh-oh. Figured there might be a reason that I have never seen one.

• Like 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Awesome tree.. just not for FL. Determined to find a source for Alloxylon flammeum, AKA Queensland Waratah. That one should fare better here.

-Nathan-

• Like 1

The saga of the northern Gulf Coast, just a little too warm for this and a little too cold for that.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Magnificent! We need to get more-northerly evergreen selections here in California. The hardy deciduous ones don't last long in the landscape here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

• 1 year later...

Here is this years blooms 2017.  I planted three more this spring of Chilean fire tree Embothrium coccineum. Hummers are happy to see it. 

DSC00053.JPG

DSC00065.JPG

DSC00050.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 8

Palm Crazy: Thanks for sharing those epic images of Embothrium coccineum!! Really enjoyed them. I'm on my 4th attempt to grow one here in Sacramento (NorCal interior). Attached is my latest try, bought via mail order from a Washington nursery several months ago. It has put out a bit of new growth this spring (and already been chewed on by insects). My previous attempts with this species in pots usu. collapsed during our summer heat waves. I'm hoping this one, with its roots in the ground and shaded much of the day, may have a better chance.

Also, still trying, via my Australian contacts, to get some seeds of Alloxylon flammeum.  Supposedly there's a nice specimen in Balboa Park, San Diego: http://www.geographylists.com/alloxylon_flammeum.jpg.

Embothrium_coccineum.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hillizard, it took me three time to get one to grow. Killed the first two by fertilizing which they don’t like! They do need some regular watering fall-winter spring… once they take and get some growth in a few years they are more drought tolerant. Very easy to grow up here. I think your new sitting will prove to be good. The growth on yours is about the same as my new baby ones.  I saw a really nice Telopea oreades in bloom at Windcliff nursery, I took many picture of it only to have my camera act up and lost all the photos. :crying:

Good luck with yours and I hope you find Alloxylon flammeum it a beauty. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Palm crazy said:

Hillizard, it took me three time to get one to grow. Killed the first two by fertilizing which they don’t like! They do need some regular watering fall-winter spring… once they take and get some growth in a few years they are more drought tolerant. Very easy to grow up here. I think your new sitting will prove to be good. The growth on yours is about the same as my new baby ones.  I saw a really nice Telopea oreades in bloom at Windcliff nursery, I took many picture of it only to have my camera act up and lost all the photos. :crying:

Good luck with yours and I hope you find Alloxylon flammeum it a beauty. 

Palm crazy: I appreciate your encouragement and thanks for sharing the backstory on your attempts with Embothrium. I just put some sulfur tablets around mine to help acidify the soil and will only fertilize the plant with blood meal, if ever.

BTW, I've only managed to keep small Telopea speciosissima alive for a year or so before they decline, as my largest one apparently has during our 95deg.F weather this week.:bummed: In California this particular genus probably does better in more coastal locations. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Palm crazy: I appreciate your encouragement and thanks for sharing the backstory on your attempts with Embothrium. I just put some sulfur tablets around mine to help acidify the soil and will only fertilize the plant with blood meal, if ever.

BTW, I've only managed to keep small Telopea speciosissima alive for a year or so before they decline, as my largest one apparently has during our 95deg.F weather this week.:bummed: In California this particular genus probably does better in more coastal locations. 

Don’t feel bad, my telopea dies one summer. It didn’t like 104F we had two years ago. LOL! 

Edited by Palm crazy

i have tried to grow this plant from seed so many times , i get them to grow through the winter and spring but the summer heat always kills them off
i am in Perth western Australia with the summer getting to 116f for a day or 2 most years
i will try again as i so want to have this plant in my garden , i will try in a more shaded spot this time
your photos look great

• Upvote 1

Gorgeous tree that I will leave to those with climates like yours to grow! Thanks for the eye candy!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

22 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Gorgeous tree that I will leave to those with climates like yours to grow! Thanks for the eye candy!

Thanks Cindy I bet it would grow in your area also…maybe? 

For warmer climates Stenocarpus sinuatus would give a similar look. Not quite the same but won't suddenly die due to a run of warm nights.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In the spirit of "Never give up! Never surrender!" (to my growing zone), I'm all in on trying E. coccineum again this year. Today I received 2 small plants from an Oregon nursery (one was a freebie!) at the same time as the seeds I'd ordered from England arrived. I have the perhaps misguided belief that there might be enough genetic variability in these seeds to find some (or at least one) plant(s) that can tolerate the climate where I live.  We'll see.

In the garden at my previous house I did get a Stenocarpus sinuatus to bloom, so that's always one I can consider for my current place. ;)

Embothrium.png

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Palm Crazy, your Embothrium are so beautiful in bloom.  I ordered two from a nursery in Oregon last year, which both quickly grew new leaves and branches, and even gave me a beautiful bloom, but then quickly died by the end of June.  I'm in northern Georgia, which appears to be within the tolerable grow zone for Embothrium, but I suspect it can't take the heat + humidity.  This year I'll attempt to grow it again, but I'll put it near my A/C condensate drain in the hopes that the constant moisture will keep its roots nice and cool.  I might be smoking hopium, but the thought of this gorgeous tree in bloom is enough to keep me trying.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Well it worked!  The AC condensate drain has managed to keep the soil cool and moist enough to ensure the Embothrium I planted in spring survived and thrived.  I made sure to work a lot of sand into the red clay it got planted in.  Surprisingly, it was able to grow a full 12 inches this summer, despite being in very humid Georgia.  We're now at the end of December, and the tree has dropped most of its leaves for winter, but the top few leaves are still hanging around.  The top has a crown of very small green leaves, ready to keep growing when spring rolls around.  Excited to be growing this beauty in Georgia.  I doubt there's another of its species in the entire state, but I'd be overjoyed if others in my area would give it a try as well.  It seems to be a picky tree when it comes to location, but worth all the effort.

• Like 4

Good for you Georgia Peach, I hope you get to enjoy your new treasure for years to come.  Come Next May will have to do another photo shot, lol.

Paradise Found, aka... palm crazy!

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hilliard: It's been 3 years since your last post. Can you give an update about your attempts to grow Embothrium in Sacramento? I've just been given 2 starts from the California north coast but am concerned about our hot, dry summers.

• Like 1