IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to get an AVATAR (that little pic)!

MattyB

So you want an AVATAR huh?  Sorry, you must have been logged onto the IPS for 5 years in order to be eligible..........just kidding!  Everyone can and should get an AVATAR!  It's fun and it let's others quickly recognize you on the forums.  Here's the scoop snoop....

Go to "Your Control Panel" in the upper left of your screen.

Click on "Personal Info".

Click on "Avatar Options".

Now there's two options to going about getting your AVATAR.

1.  Entering a URL from an image hosting site like Photobucket....or

2.  Uploading a file/picture from your own computer.

---------------------

1. Entering a URL from Photobucket or similar host

In the middle of the screen you'll see a section called "Your Image Avatars".  In the area provided,paste the URL (starts w/ http://) from Photobucket or similar site into the space provided.  Then click "Add My Own Image As My Avatar".  You're done!  If it didn't work, try again or complain to the Moderator.

---------------------

2.  Uploading a file/picture from your own computer

At the bottom of your screen you'll see a section called "Upload Your Own Avatar".  Click "Browse" and choose a file from your computer.  Please note that the file must be under 100,000 bytes and pictures usually need to be resized to meet this criteria (resizing could be a whole other tutorial in itself).  Click "Upload" and you'll see a message that says, "Your avatar has been uploaded to the board".  Then go to the top of the screen where it says "Please Select An Avatar From The List Below".  Find your uploaded Avatar and click on it.  Then click "Add This Avatar To My Profile".  You're done!

Tips:  Choose a close up or simple image as your AVATAR.  It's only a small box and complex, landscape type shots don't show up well.

Good Luck! :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

and lay off the self portraits like MattyB.  :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

and doo doo Wal! :)

Edit:  Since this comment Wal has changed his avatar once again and the "doo doo" comment no longer makes sense.  Due to Wal's frequently changing avatar (unlike his underwear) I will now change my response to the generic:

"Nice Avatar Wal! :) "

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

After a couple of efforts, the best I can do is a small white box with a red  X  in it...I guess that will have to be my avatar  :(

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Steve,

I fixed it for you.

Nice avatar.  :)

Let everyone know how easy that was. Even for dummies.  :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Hey, look at me...I'm all avatared up...thx for the assist.

I haven't settled on one yet...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Thanks, Matty!  See, now I have my beautiful avatar up and running (well, I'll be  sure once I post this and hopefully it'll be there).  I got the pic from the University of Hawaii botany website photos of native Pritchardia species, and this photo is of P. kaalae growing wild in, I believe, the Waianae mountains of Oahu.  You like?  You like?

Why not live in the tropics?

Wait a second, here.  Why did the image come out so small?  I guess it's not enough pixels.  Okay, back to the drawing board.  I'm gonna go find one that's more easily-visible.

Why not live in the tropics?

Dear Matty  :)

great work_pal !

And wal why are you changing you avatar's so often,and the

conversation between you & matty on this regard was worth

laughing !

And steve's avatar icon is big as compared to mine or for that

matter eric.how is that ?

Steve i like that avatar of your's,kindly stick with it for a while,its very colorful & even pleasing to the eye.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris and others,

The avatar size is restricted to 60 x 60 (smaller size) when using an uploaded avatar.

When using a hosted avatar with a URL link you may fill in a width and height of 90 x 90 and your avatar will be of the larger size you see some members using.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Matt,

Uncle Dean made me one, but I don't know if it can stay.  After all, I'm from San Diego and my avatar has Denver Bronco colors.  But, it's cool to have one.  I've never really sought out how to get one and your post helps.  Thanks.  I'll be on the search for the perfect photo.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I like it Phil!  You should also put the link to Jungle Music on your signature so your site can be easily accessed through any of your posts.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty, hey thanks for the explanation!  I didn't know I could upload one without a hosted site thing, which I don't have.  So now I've created my own avatar, and will need to get a better piccie soon.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny- Its super easy to set up a photobucket account for hosting your photos. All you need is an email address and it is very easy. I used to use webshots but I got tired of that hassle. It is so much easier to post images to this board too.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Dear IPSPTModerator  :)

i wish to change my avatar and its link is in photobucket.com/

like last time it does not take my url link automatically it says that the image file extension or the file format is not supported.and the file that i want to link is a common .gif image.last time also i had this problem.has this glitch not rectified yet since as & when i find a nice gif i cannot upload as i wish to do !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif