IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

gsytch

After a HUGE soaking May 2nd, nothing measurable since but sunny skies. We missed the rains from the last cold front (.02 doesnt count) so its been 3 weeks and counting since a decent rainfall. The hose it getting a workout! Feels like California with highs in the 80's lows near 60F and RH below 50%. No rain forecast for another week YET temps near 90F......

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Same here, except for the May 2nd soaking. :crying: Dragging the hose around again.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

yes, the sandy soil plus our hot sun. we are at 28S and, we also have some strong sea breezes which do not help conserve moisture. it is easily another week before we even have a chance at rain! argh!

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Yep, after a good soaking here last week, its back to dusty, dry, and hot.. Amazing how I can soak everything on Monday, and a lot of stuff is nearly bone dry a couple days later, even stuff in 15gal cans. Forecasts are suggesting a return of some moisture over the weekend and into next week. Rain chances also rise to 30% or so by next Wednesday, per the last forecast. On that note... Keep an eye on the forecast between the 5-7th of next month.

Been watching the GFS models stir up something just south east of Cancun since last Friday and the last run I checked this afternoon ( per 12:00) has a very interesting.... to say the least, development there and seems to swing what ever is being picked up on, up towards the southwest coast of FL. While I'm not one to sound false alarms, the run to run model consistency i've noted beyond 300 hours this week has raised an eye brow just a little.

-Nathan-

Big storms missed Sunday. Today we got it, but most missed. .40" of an inch is better than nothing, and the rainy season is starting early! Bring on the rains! :mrlooney:

Well over a month, probably 6 weeks with no rain. Lots of cracks opening in this shaded area of exposed loamy clay. Looking like relief may be coming this week. Which is good, because I am already scared to open my next water bill.

post-1207-0-21401200-1401155282_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The rainy season has started right on time, however, all the big storms missed us yesterday and today. I hope it will be our turn before the week is finished. Everything looks good due to ample irrigation, but I am ready for mother nature to take over.

Day # 2 of some decent storms. While we got dumped on, and had lots of close lightning strikes, this side of Bradenton missed the hailstorm that hit the Lakewood Ranch/ I-75 area around lunchtime yesterday. Also missed another impressive storm that fired up around sunset last night. Storms today came around 6 and dumped nearly an inch of rain. Chances stay around 20-30% thru Wed, than may reach 60% by Sat. Perfect day for stepping up some Veitchia and Guaiacum coulteri seedlings.

-Nathan-

Actually, the rainy season has started a little early this year. Yes! After 23 long dry days (and sunny) rain hit Monday, although I missed the big storms, and again today, with about 1/4". Nothing to brag about but huge storms have been inland. I hope tomorrow is our shot! I could REALLY use a dumping! But, that is the rains here - hit or miss! :)

4-6 inches of rain in last 2 days. Drought is broken.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

11 inches in the past 4 days...either drought or floods lol

Just like Louisiana, the drought to drowning see-saw

-Keith,

I heard that some parts of Louisiana got enough rainfall that even some of the dead decided to go for a swim. We got .03 today while nearly 2" fell 5 miles to the east. Local weather guys and Accuweather have started talking about some kind of development in the Gulf/ Caribbean later next week. Storms here this week have contained ALOT of pea to quarter sized Hail. Unusual for FL.

-Nathan-

Yes, it always varies here by the square mile. I got a few inches, just north of here got 12 inches in a day with lots of flooding. Southeast of here, yes, so much ground saturation that coffins floated to the surface. Of course, that is nothing new in any area subject to flooding and/or a high water table.

http://wgno.com/2014/05/29/massive-flooding-causes-caskets-to-rise-from-their-graves/#axzz33AMlAhDk

Very true, none of the beaches between Siesta Key and Clearwater saw a drop today yet we get dumped on when the wind veers more out of the east. Agree that enough rain can "raise the dead" under the right circumstances. Still a bit creepy though.

-Nathan-

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the rain situation here. After the first 6 days of June being completely dry, Central FL has had some beneficial rain. At my house, however, we had no rain all last week through Saturday, 0.25" yesterday and 0.05" today. Call me unimpressed. The rain chances look good for the next 5 days, so I am hopeful we can really get some long lasting downpours and intense storms like much of the area has already had. They need to create an emoticon with a smiley face getting rained on (instead of just the frown).

As the heavy rains hit most of Florida, my house just gets sporadic, quick heavy showers. This is June 13th and we have had less than an inch of rain this month. Dry. I hear it. I see it. I've been through it...just not over my house! lol Send some my way....Please... :bemused:

Still missing us (for the most part) 4/10" all yesterday, nothing today. The radar is lit up from I-75 east and it has been over and over there. I had to water some potted plants just an hour ago. Sunny. Humid. Dry. I'll probably get dumped on all at once. :yay:

Fortunately the rain has found my garden. It has been oppressively hot with high humidity in the afternoon. Clothes are saturated with sweat in less than an hour of work in the yard. Fortunately the late afternoon showers and cloud cover has been cooling things off for the night.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

This has been a very odd beginning to the rainy season. While I have had rainfall, it has been nothing to write home about. Tampa Int'l has reported less than 2 inches this month so far, I'm in at around 3", yet Brandon and Bradenton are both over 7" and Polk County has been getting saturated in the past week. Fort Myers has been very dry while Miami is at 10" (Airport). North Florida has been quite wet. The Orlando area seems to be hit and miss, too. We are currently in our westerlies, which brings on shore AM showers and heavier storms to the East Coast. We usually miss out when it is like this, even with a Gulf temp at 86F. Living a mile from the GOM one would think it would be wet here. How has the state, and your yard, been faring?

This has been a very odd beginning to the rainy season. While I have had rainfall, it has been nothing to write home about. Tampa Int'l has reported less than 2 inches this month so far, I'm in at around 3", yet Brandon and Bradenton are both over 7" and Polk County has been getting saturated in the past week. Fort Myers has been very dry while Miami is at 10" (Airport). North Florida has been quite wet. The Orlando area seems to be hit and miss, too. We are currently in our westerlies, which brings on shore AM showers and heavier storms to the East Coast. We usually miss out when it is like this, even with a Gulf temp at 86F. Living a mile from the GOM one would think it would be wet here. How has the state, and your yard, been faring?

I'm two miles south of Miami International Airport, got mushrooms popping up everywhere in the mulch. Everything is is very well hydrated - the microbes in the soil are having a party with the earthworms. Put down 250 lbs. of fertilizer two weeks ago. :winkie:

I'm two miles south of Miami International Airport, got mushrooms popping up everywhere in the mulch. Everything is is very well hydrated - the microbes in the soil are having a party with the earthworms. Put down 250 lbs. of fertilizer two weeks ago. :winkie:

send it our way! we just miss most of the heavier stuff...........

send it our way! we just miss most of the heavier stuff...........

Do you want the 48 mile per hour wind gusts too? :bummed:

My yard/garden can handle 48 mph wind gusts with ease, as long as the winds come with heavy rain! Nothing but a trace here in the last 8 days, despite heavy storms in all directions. It is almost uncanny how all the activity keeps missing my location.

Have to agree with gsytch, been an odd start to the rainy season. Seems like the bulk of the rainfall here in Bradenton has fallen just east of 301 and more so east of 75. Closer to the coast, I've counted 1 day where we got what I would consider a good downpour. Even on good days when wind profiles were favorable, most storms thus far were a quick shower or less by the time they reached this side of town.

Seems like there is a lot more dry air (relatively) hindering the overall process this year, leading to wider variability between areas getting soaked and areas closer to the coast (at least here) which have been a lot drier. By this point, id think the gulf would be warm enough to keep any storms that form just off the beaches together as they move ashore but that hasn't started happening yet. Hopefully July brings better overall coverage.. Still awaiting some good late night light shows.. Bring it on!

On a side note: Looking like Monsoon season may start ramping up sometime next week out west. As toasty as it has been here, at least it isn't 100F++ everyday.. Humidity or none, Driving around the Desert researching unusual street trees when it is 115F is HOT.

-Nathan-

Nathan, it has been that way so far in some inland locations as well. I've heard/seen much less thunder/lightning here than usual and I agree about the relative abundance of dry air. A whopping 0.05" today. This sort of rain in the hot summer months is of little benefit.

I hear ya.. Tracked a couple storms on radar last week that were dropping about 2-3.5" of rain over Lakewood Ranch reach this side of 53rd st./rte. 70 with about .20" falling here as the storm fell apart over head. Also noticing the near absence of abundant lightning in the storms which have passed over head so far this year. While the .70" we got not too long ago was nice, like you said, even that is insignificant when there are several days of hot dry conditions between downpours.

-Nathan-

Yes, it has been odd now that reports are in. One full week without a drop now. Every day sunnier than the last. Today's 91F has a dewpoint of 77F yet showers die in the Gulf coming anywhere near shore. Lord I hope this pattern changes or my water bill will be record high. I;m now on daily watering to keep the moisture in the ground and in the pots. There is a better risk of showers and storms Fri thru Sun...let's hope it materializes. :mrlooney::floor:

Hope you got some rain bands from Arthur. Pretty soggy here.

In the past 21 days, TOTAL rainfall not quite an inch. Half-inch fell in one storm (1/2 mi E of me got 5 inches) and a few heavier, short showers here and there. What a bust this rainy season is. A hurricane off the E coast cannot even offer us decent rains. Now we are in the westerlies, which are hot humid and DRY (usually) as rain forms east of I-75 and toward Orlando. The radar has been lit up, just not here. :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

In the past 21 days, TOTAL rainfall not quite an inch. Half-inch fell in one storm (1/2 mi E of me got 5 inches) and a few heavier, short showers here and there. What a bust this rainy season is. A hurricane off the E coast cannot even offer us decent rains. Now we are in the westerlies, which are hot humid and DRY (usually) as rain forms east of I-75 and toward Orlando. The radar has been lit up, just not here. :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Are you sure you are not in that TV show Under the Dome? 5 inches 1/2 a mile away - only in Florida ... :crying:

Moose, I often wonder. Last summer we had like 23 straight days of rain and measured rainfall in feet. This year, since early May, few and very far between. We even lost power in a storm and got less than 1/10" for it. I was teaching at the library yesterday - within a long walk - and it poured in sheets yet my house was dry. We did get a heavy shower that lasted about 5 minutes an hour later but it was a monsoon there. Here's hoping for better rains in the next few days. My turn I say! :mrlooney:

Same thing here in my part of Cape Coral. Raining everywhere except here! Ft Myers and south and east seem to be getting plenty but dry here. We did get almost 4" in June but only .09" in July.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

This is the current ( as of 5pm) radar for Central Florida. I just finished watering, again. Do you see New Port Richey and how awesomely CLEAR it is...yet the rest of Florida east has been getting rather wet. Again. Hmmmm....lhttp://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/weather/klystron-9-radar.map.html/7County.html :floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor:

1404672601.jpgh

Here is a pic of the Florida radar. Note New Port Richey totally clear. Rainfall zero. Yersterday, zero. The day before .15" the day before that zero. Is this is a joke? Total for July .30" WOW! lol :yay::yay::yay: It POURED on ym way to the gym. Poured. Total at my house zero. lol

We had a lot of rain on our area yesterday but very little at my house, only 0.22" total for July. Praying for some good rain for our dry areas!

We finally received a good amount of rain today, 0.84"! Hope this trend continues and that it rains in New Port Richey soon.

Same thing here in my part of Cape Coral. Raining everywhere except here! Ft Myers and south and east seem to be getting plenty but dry here. We did get almost 4" in June but only .09" in July.

I feel for you. 4" for June is undoubtedly way below normal for your location in June. I think we ended up near (maybe a bit below) normal for last month, but the rainfall was so erratic and inconsistent. I hope we enter a normal rainy season pattern for the next few months.