IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ferti-Lome Root Stimulator- Beware, possible fertilizer burn on palms

smithgn

I've used Ferti-Lome root stimulator for my larger palms while planting them in ground. I'm very approximate in the amount I add to a gallon of water (usually a teaspoon or 2 full). Don't try this with smaller more tender palms. I've used them on small (3 feet and under) palms such as chamaedorea radicalis, livistona nitida and brahea edulis. One of my two radicalis' is showing major signs of fertilizer burn while the other one is showing very small amounts of leaf discoloration. One of my nitidas is showing signs of it from the outer tip of the leaf inwards- although I don't know if this has to do with it opening up a new set of fresh fronds. I'll post updated pictures when I get time (work all weekend, ughh). But anyways, just thought I'd share this and was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem?

BTW, for clarification- I don't dump an entire gallon of mixed water and root stimulator on each palm. I divvy up the amount due to the palms that I'm using it for are small compared to the larger windmills and pindo palms I used it for last year.

Edited by smithgn

I've never used it before.....and this gives me a reason not to in the future.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Are you talking about Fertilome Root Stimulator & Plant Starter Solution 4-10-3 (32 oz). I don't dispute it burned your palms, but you describe them as large, which is a very subjective term. How large? Were they potted or in the ground? Were they very dry? ?

I have used this product many times over the years without incident, so maybe I have been lucky, but I would like to know more about the circumstance under which you palms were burned with this product.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I've never used it before.....and this gives me a reason not to in the future.

Yeah, I'm not condemning it... But at the same time, be careful how much you use, especially with smaller palms. I'm still a novice, so I'm learning the hard way. I used it with some small filiferas that I had and they produced pretty wicked roots... Until they bit the dust this winter.

Are you talking about Fertilome Root Stimulator & Plant Starter Solution 4-10-3 (32 oz). I don't dispute it burned your palms, but you describe them as large, which is a very subjective term. How large? Were they potted or in the ground? Were they very dry? ?

I have used this product many times over the years without incident, so maybe I have been lucky, but I would like to know more about the circumstance under which you palms were burned with this product.

Yes, yes- that's the product I'm talking about. And sorry, I was typing this thread in haste last night so I wasn't quite as articulate as I wanted to be. The palms that are burnt are potted except for the Chamaedoreas- those of which have got it the worst. For my other potted palms (Nitida, Edulis), they are just now starting to show a bit of burn at the tip. I've marked them to see if it progresses significantly or not. The "large" palms I used it on last year were anywhere from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 feet tall. They were in ground. No fertilizer burn.

I may be over reacting, but this burn on one of my Radicalis' is pretty significant and has progressed rather quickly. I don't know why it's that particular palm that has shown these severe effects, but for some reason it is. I keep all of my Chamaedoreas with moist soil, they get plenty of water. This is the first time I've had any incident with it and If you haven't had a problem with the product then it may be something else that is bugging my Radicalis, not the Ferti-Lome.

If this is fertilizer burn, what's the best way to combat this instead of relocating the palm? I've read that I should water it more than normal to combat the fertilizers "drying" effect in the soil?

I'll have pictures on Monday for sure in case anyone's interested.

Here are the pictures I promised.

First up is my radicalis- this one just recently started showing signs of burn.

001_zps0f227980.jpg

Same radicalis, different leaf

002_zpsf5ae740e.jpg

Another leaf

003_zpsf71b43b2.jpg

And here's my other radicalis. The one that is showing significant burn.

004_zps23f635b5.jpg

Another leaf

005_zpsf82827b3.jpg

Here's an overhead.

006_zps6162b95c.jpg

And now for my livistona nitida. This could be me being paranoid, but it is showing more signs of discoloration/burn. It might be due to the new set of fronds getting ready to open up.

008_zps4c7310fa.jpg

A zoomed out shot of it, with the discolored leaf in the foreground.

009_zps0f604ae4.jpg

Here's a shot of the tip of my other nitida (brahea edulis in the background)

010_zpsd019bbda.jpg

And here's a shot of my microspadix, significantly larger than my radicalis, unphased by the ferti-lome. Proud of the new frond that is beginning to open up, has been growing faster than expected!

007_zps8ff00320.jpg

I've used Ferti-Lome root stimulator for my larger palms while planting them in ground. I'm very approximate in the amount I add to a gallon of water (usually a teaspoon or 2 full). Don't try this with smaller more tender palms. I've used them on small (3 feet and under) palms such as chamaedorea radicalis, livistona nitida and brahea edulis. One of my two radicalis' is showing major signs of fertilizer burn while the other one is showing very small amounts of leaf discoloration. One of my nitidas is showing signs of it from the outer tip of the leaf inwards- although I don't know if this has to do with it opening up a new set of fresh fronds. I'll post updated pictures when I get time (work all weekend, ughh). But anyways, just thought I'd share this and was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem?

BTW, for clarification- I don't dump an entire gallon of mixed water and root stimulator on each palm. I divvy up the amount due to the palms that I'm using it for are small compared to the larger windmills and pindo palms I used it for last year.

The amount of fertilizer in the formulation shouldn't cause any fertilizer burn. It's mainly phosphate which won't burn plants. You should be more concerned about the amount of growth regulator applied to the palms if you are using it regularly. I would also switch to slow release fertilizer. In pots, you are wasting fertilizer and building up salts which can cause the problem you're seeing.

There are many other factors that may cause the problem such as overwatering and even the material in your tap water. For potted plants, you can lower the salt content by adding a lot of water to leach everything out.

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

The amount of fertilizer in the formulation shouldn't cause any fertilizer burn. It's mainly phosphate which won't burn plants. You should be more concerned about the amount of growth regulator applied to the palms if you are using it regularly. I would also switch to slow release fertilizer. In pots, you are wasting fertilizer and building up salts which can cause the problem you're seeing.

There are many other factors that may cause the problem such as overwatering and even the material in your tap water. For potted plants, you can lower the salt content by adding a lot of water to leach everything out.

Okay, so it wouldn't be caused from the ferti-lome. What is the growth regulator? I've only applied the ferti-lome twice. Once right after planting and the other time about 2 weeks ago. Fertilizer I've used is 8-8-8 for the potted and 12-4-12 for my in ground Chamaedoreas. Would this problem be evident even after a few weeks/several weeks?

Okay, so it wouldn't be caused from the ferti-lome. What is the growth regulator? I've only applied the ferti-lome twice. Once right after planting and the other time about 2 weeks ago. Fertilizer I've used is 8-8-8 for the potted and 12-4-12 for my in ground Chamaedoreas. Would this problem be evident even after a few weeks/several weeks?

Twice at label rates shouldn't cause any problems. IBA (Auxin) is the growth regulator.

I would lean towards environmental problems (cool soil temperatures/less potassium uptake/soil problems) instead of fertilizer. As long as you didn't use a lot of fertilizer, you shouldn't see a problem. Switch to an all slow release formulation like osmocote.

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants