IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Finally received my Christmas from Floribunda

Alicehunter2000

Finally got my Christmas presents!

post-97-0-53889600-1398521000_thumb.jpg

7 Dypsis decipiens 1 gallons

post-97-0-48124600-1398521044_thumb.jpg

2 Allagoptera arenaria

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

post-97-0-74211600-1398521407_thumb.jpg

1 Chuniophoenix nana , 1 gallon

post-97-0-80137800-1398521461_thumb.jpg

2 Rhopalostylis sapida big seedlings

post-97-0-63010800-1398521763_thumb.jpg

2 Licuala elegans

post-97-0-92671500-1398521805_thumb.jpg

3 Lanonia dasyantha

post-97-0-85611200-1398521853_thumb.jpg

1 Lytocaryum hoehnei

All 4 inch size

post-97-0-28187200-1398522155_thumb.jpg

2 Trachycarpus takil seedlings

post-97-0-44759100-1398522219_thumb.jpg

2 Roystonea regia seedlings

And check out this Kentiopsis oliviformis 3 gallon!

post-97-0-76951500-1398522656_thumb.jpg

I have several Kentiopsis Oliviformis 3g on the way from Floribunda. Hope mine looks that awesome!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Interested to see how your Takil seedlings do. Heard they were difficult to grow and very picky. Perhaps they like a more moderate/temperate climate as far as heat goes? I read a review on a guy that tried to grow some in coastal SC and said they didn't do well.

Merry, merry Christmas. So many beautiful palms.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks, Meg ..... it was so fun opening up the box...lol.

Ben, my friend also got a K. oliviformis. ...same size .... yours should be as well.

Smith, I haven't heard that about takil....my weather is a bit less extreme here in the immediate coastal area so I hope they will grow here.

I got several things that are experimental ... no way to be sure until you try.

How long do you think I should wait to start planting the D. decipiens in the ground? We are right at the beginning of our growing season. Do you thing I should go get a bunch of landscape red lava rock since they are planted in the black lava rock now? Or would my fast draining beach sand be adequate. I used the palm and cactus mix from Home Depot to pot them up currently.

post-97-0-74429300-1398559996_thumb.jpg

I hope so as well. It was just one review; I don't know a whole lot about them other than that. Subscribed to this thread for the answers to your questions!

How long do you think I should wait to start planting the D. decipiens in the ground? We are right at the beginning of our growing season. Do you thing I should go get a bunch of landscape red lava rock since they are planted in the black lava rock now? Or would my fast draining beach sand be adequate. I used the palm and cactus mix from Home Depot to pot them up currently.

attachicon.gifIMG950776.jpg

I'd plant half now, and hold the other half back in pots. And I'd go with the Lava Rock.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

attachicon.gifIMG950776.jpg

Is there a way that you can crush the lava rock? I would imagine that the big red chunks might be a little too large on their own.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Good idea, test them both ways. I'm not even sure if they even sell that red lava rock anymore. They used to have it to retain heat for propane grills and to catch drippings. I guess I could take a hammer and smash them up, but that would take a lot of effort. I could use other types of gravel as well....maybe?

Good idea, test them both ways. I'm not even sure if they even sell that red lava rock anymore. They used to have it to retain heat for propane grills and to catch drippings. I guess I could take a hammer and smash them up, but that would take a lot of effort. I could use other types of gravel as well....maybe?

I would go with lava rock, any color if you can get it. Put in a canvas bag and beat a minute or two with a hammer. Pour out. You got kids. Should be able to get them to do it for free.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

post-97-0-08091300-1398568611_thumb.jpg

guess adding this to a mixture with Palm/cactus mix and sand might be the best option.

Can't wait to get mine, David. What kind of sun exposure are you going to start the K. Oliviformis with? And why is having lava rock in the mix so critical - just because they are used to it given the source?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

The K. Oliviformis will stay in my screened courtyard area in a pot for this summer. If I were putting it in the ground it would be in dappled sun with a good potting mix....mixed with my native beach sand. I would think dappled light would be best or at the least only part day sun....preferably morning. But I may be way off base.....never grew it before.

My biggest hope is for the Dypsis decipiens that I got. It is the only large crownshafted palm that may be possible in my zone 9a......and they are spectacular when they start getting trunk. They require perfect drainage and are more suited to California dryness in the crown. When they get bigger they become less prone to issues due to high humidity and less than ideal soil. Some in Florida are starting to have like muted success with them. They are slow growing .... but worth the wait.

I believe Krishna has kept a small D. decipiens alive for a few years in Ocala. You're probably in a great spot to do so as well.

Definitely put the lava rock in a bag when you crush it, so the little chunks don't fly into your eyes. Also you could pound it with the end of a short 4x4 so you could do it standing up. Or maybe just drive over the bag a few times and see what happens.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I have some smaller kentiopsis in filtered light and they are doing well. Since these look larger, wondering if they can take a bit more sun... part day.

Ben Rogers

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Organic-Recipes-Homemade_vq204.htm

Jeff from Floribunda mentioned that he had to treat leaf fungus on decipiens during rainy season. I will probably call him back and ask him what he uses....but I found an interesting website (above) what do others think of these recipes?

Regarding the red lava rock, I read somewhere on this forum that it is red because of its high iron content and might be detrimental to potted palms. Is that true? Here in FL, red lava rock is carried by most garden centers to use as top dressing in gardens. Is it safe to mix in with potting mix? What about black lava rock, which is much rarer here?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I've used it with no problems in pots. Most landscape supply stores should also have the finer sized red lava as well, pieces average around a centimeter or so which is much better for potting purposes than the big stuff.

Now you tell me...lol.....all 7 (actually 8 ... one is double) have been planted.

#1post-97-0-05081800-1398631937_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-52646000-1398631991_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-34831500-1398632040_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-74600100-1398632094_thumb.jpg

You don't think that's a little close to the large Phoenix?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Yes, you are probably correct.....I figured that it will stay on the drier and warmer side there and it will never catch up to its canopy. Less frost here also. Additionally the Phoenix is planted high as well.

Here is #2 planted under the big causiarum. ...same situation. I have a chinesis that did not even get leaf burn this winter under the fat boy's protection. post-97-0-27782800-1398635959_thumb.jpg

Can someone Id this snake?post-97-0-29909200-1398636245_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-95135300-1398636279_thumb.jpg

#3 ...... this area will have the pavers removed in the future. It gets full morning to midday sun and is pretty exposed to wind ect. It will be interesting to see how it does here.post-97-0-65251800-1398643047_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-93541600-1398643099_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-67020200-1398643146_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-45908500-1398643191_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-12582200-1398643526_thumb.jpg

Just realized that #4 (a double) is getting hit by the neighbors sprinkler system. Got to block the water into the crown area. This is the other side of the causiarum and further away. It is in a wind tunnel area between our two houses and gets about 3 hours of direct afternoon sun.

post-97-0-52970500-1398643966_thumb.jpg

#5 is giving the big mule some company.

#7 is in a kind of shaded area down low. I planted it really high and put a lot of rocks around the upper part. Not sure how this will do here either.....a big experiment.post-97-0-66779700-1398644129_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-57462000-1398644192_thumb.jpg

#6 is full sun.....warmest part of the yard fully protected from the north wind. This and the Bizmarkia and mule will tell people when they visit......." a palm person must live here."post-97-0-48000200-1398644644_thumb.jpg

I topped off the lava rock and cactus mix with some pure unadulterated emerald coast beach sand.....post-97-0-26619000-1398644705_thumb.jpg

Interested to see how your Takil seedlings do. Heard they were difficult to grow and very picky. Perhaps they like a more moderate/temperate climate as far as heat goes? I read a review on a guy that tried to grow some in coastal SC and said they didn't do well.

They are difficult to grow as seedlings. I recently lost all the ones I germinated to damping off after 2 1/2 years of growth. Their habitat in a high eve ovation pine forest suggests the conditions they require, not too wet, slightly cool. Etc. I think they toughen up considerably with age.

I think the biggest problem with these at low elevation may just be high barometric pressure: the same relative humidity at sea level is not at all the same thing at 8000' where the air is much thinner. Heat doesn't propagate as well through thinner air either, so an equivalent temperature "feels" different down low.

That being said I'm sure it gets hot in their habitat during summer and id imagine they have some built in heat tolerance. There is a large one at the Atlanta botanical gardens, but that location is 1000' above sea level which may be just enough to make a difference?

Only one way to find out!

They are difficult to grow as seedlings. I recently lost all the ones I germinated to damping off after 2 1/2 years of growth. Their habitat in a high eve ovation pine forest suggests the conditions they require, not too wet, slightly cool. Etc. I think they toughen up considerably with age.

I think the biggest problem with these at low elevation may just be high barometric pressure: the same relative humidity at sea level is not at all the same thing at 8000' where the air is much thinner. Heat doesn't propagate as well through thinner air either, so an equivalent temperature "feels" different down low.

That being said I'm sure it gets hot in their habitat during summer and id imagine they have some built in heat tolerance. There is a large one at the Atlanta botanical gardens, but that location is 1000' above sea level which may be just enough to make a difference?

Only one way to find out!

Yeah, as with most palms that are grown out of their natural habitat, you just have to get them out of that seedling stage and once you get some trunk they are probably hardy enough to take these climactic differences. I always forget that Atlanta sits up around ~900-1000 feet... Columbia and Atlanta have almost the exact same summers but its always a bit more extreme in the winter time in ATL. But hey, you may be onto something 1000 feet = 8000 feet? Both are higher elevations, maybe the Takils wouldn't notice the difference haha

Alice- #3 is probably one of the coolest places I've ever seen any palm planted in my life! Love the pics and ideas... And I love your sand.

Dave, does this mean that you don't want me to pick up a a DD at SLO, when I am in Southern Cal this June? I saved my box so that I could send it to you. Let me know. I know I never sent you the pictures of mine, I took them for sure, but didn't take the time to post.

I would not plant those in the ground if I was you. Given how marginal your climate is for most of these, you need to nurse these palms to larger size in pots where you can control the environment a bit more. I'd recommend you get a greenhouse to raise some of your babies and especially keep the decipiens dry in the Summer and protect in the Winter from the freezes the likes you had last Winter. Allogoptera will grow in the Summer rain but they don't like it. Decipiens isn't a palm that you gain a lot of size by planting it in the ground, so there's no advantage to putting them in. They're just going to dig themselves into the ground more and rot. When in a pot, you can wait for them to gain some size and then plant the heel above ground. As a seedling, they'll bury themselves and croak in the Summer rain. In California, lots of folks loose their decipiens in the Summer from over-watering them.

I've visited some parts of our own State that are USDA 9a after last December's freeze here. After seeing the destruction it caused to washingtonia, livistona and others, there is no way I'd grow any of the palms you have listed in those climates except the trachy, the chuniophoenix and the decipiens. And there's no way I'd put them in the ground as tiny 1 gallons. After reading your reports from last Winter, I doubt your 9a zone fares that much better. Many people do grow marginal palms quite successfully, but there's an art to it, just throwing the palms into the ground isn't one of the paint strokes that works. I've done it myself, it's a waste of time and money. Getting a greenhouse cured me from that folly.

Smith.....probably less nematodes in #3 location. .don't plan on keeping the pavers there long term.

Shep ...I'll pm you.

Is this " Grand Dypsis Experiment" Axel?

Just kidding.....but in all seriousness I cannot have a greenhouse due to HOA which I am VP on the board....lol......also my yard is too small anyway. I also totally suck at keeping stuff in pots.

I'm keeping the K. Oliviformis in a pot however in the courtyard pool area. The deal from Floribunda was too good to pass up on that size $25. The Licuala's will also be kept in courtyard pots. The daysyantha will be planted in the ground near the pool adjacent to the cabadae and macrocarpa and will be protected. I might chance the nana under canopy. Ed in Jacksonville has had one for years. ...don't think there is enough data to conclude its not possible here. The Rhopy's will also be kept in the shade and kept cool this summer ...... ( what is the best soil for these?) I hear these do pretty well in pots and I'll wait until they are almost too big to move before planting. Ed also had luck with them for 10 plus years. Aside from the 2 freezes Rhopy's would have loved my weather the past 7 months. Lets see what is left? Oh the royals. ....they were $1each and Jeff sent me 3 ..... so $0.33 each......so sue me for getting those..... lol.

Forgot the Lytocarium ...... started not to get it but I got two L. weds in planter area in pool. I might try and cram it on the other side.

I timed the drainage on my D. decipiens ....... 1 gallon of water disappears in 40 seconds! How is that for drainage. Sometimes I wonder if you California folks really grasp drainage this fast. Hopefully the decipiens will be ok going into our summer...... just chalk it up to stupidity on my part if they don't. I know someone with Allagoptera locally.....it survived last winter and does well here....they have already been planted.

Can someone Id this snake?attachicon.gif20140427_132033.jpgattachicon.gif20140427_131955.jpg

That's an Eastern Garter Snake, I do believe...of course non-venomous. Nice colors on that one.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)