IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Two massive Santa Barbara Co Dracaena draco trees

fastfeat

Was up in Santa Barbara Co the other day to assist in measuring two huge Dracaena draco trees. I'd never seen trees this size in person before; the photos really don't do them justice tho.

From a private Montecito estate built in the 20s, this tree probably predates the house:

Montecito1.jpg

Montecito2.jpg

Montecito3.jpg

And from the monastery adjacent to the SB Mission, this massive tree:

Monestary1.jpg

If anyone knows of bigger such trees in CA, LMK...

• Like 1

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Simply spectacular. I'll bet that first specimen could be a champion candidate. This species is so well adapted to the arid Southern California climate, and is a perfect example of the types of plants that need to be spec'd by designers/landscape architects into the landscape rather than the water-guzzling plants, particularly lawns, that are incessantly installed, and which look very out-of-place with this tree (as with the bizarre deep-green lawn in the SB Mission shot). So many other fascinating plants, including many weird-looking and beautiful Euphorbias and other succulents adapted to this rather cool desert climate (go to Lotusland for a nice display of these goodies in an architectural setting), and which were the mainstay of California's early days, will hopefully become a focus of the more adventurous landscape professionals and homeowners in California's dry-once-again future.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

WOW

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Santa Barbara's Lotusland is full of old Dracaenas, though the garden is way more crowded and individual plants harder to photograph... but here are some... don't think there is one as tall as the above plant, but certainly far more massive. Sadly I lost the original photo shown last here (only a low res copy from Davesgarden)... this plant was about 50 across and has multiple large, thick poles holding up a lot of its branches. I should go back and rephotograph it. Not super tall, but the size is hard to take in.

post-426-0-28250900-1398375520_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-27349300-1398375585_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-73977600-1398375623_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-23556800-1398375734_thumb.jpg

Ken I would not assume the tree predates the house. It looks like it was planted with the house hence why it didn't branch until it knew it cleared obstacles. Probably didn't flower for 30-40 years.

Dracos are surprisingly fast growers (well compared to what many think) when given lots of water and fertilizer. I have seen gardens where a tree got to about 1/3 the size the one you see here but was planted in 70s. I have one I dug from a garden that was planted in 50s that is also about half this size.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I can attest to the fact that the more water they get, the faster they grow. I have some that grew twice as fast, at least, when kept moist over those that were kept on the dry side.

Have not lost a single one to rot, either.

image001-741419.jpg

This is the Dracaena in downtown Ft Lauderdale. The city forester thinks it is D. cinnabari. I don't know the difference. Trees this size are like hen's teeth around here.

http://fortlauderdaleforester.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

That tree is delicious! May I ask where? On my next FL trip, whenever that may be, I'd love to see that one in person !

the northwest corner of the intersection of North Andrews Avenue and NW 2nd Street.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

That tree is delicious! May I ask where? On my next FL trip, whenever that may be, I'd love to see that one in person !

On the northwest corner of NW 2nd Street and Andrews Avenue in downtown Ft Lah-di-dah.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

image001-741419.jpg

This is the Dracaena in downtown Ft Lauderdale. The city forester thinks it is D. cinnabari. I don't know the difference. Trees this size are like hen's teeth around here.

I wish there was a key to tell difference between the two Jerry. I find it so odd that such a unique tree like Draco can be so closely matched to Cinnabari however they are worlds apart. Google where Socotra Island is. Crazy.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

GORGEOUS!!!!!

To be a champion, does it need to be native ?

To be placed on the Big Tree Registry, trees need not be native to the state in which they're growing/nominated, tho I'd think that more resources would generally be dedicated to native species.

http://www.americanforests.org/our-programs/bigtree/

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Santa Barbara's Lotusland is full of old Dracaenas, though the garden is way more crowded and individual plants harder to photograph... but here are some... don't think there is one as tall as the above plant, but certainly far more massive. Sadly I lost the original photo shown last here (only a low res copy from Davesgarden)... this plant was about 50 across and has multiple large, thick poles holding up a lot of its branches. I should go back and rephotograph it. Not super tall, but the size is hard to take in.

I've seen the Lotusland trees and nothing there approaches the size of either of these two. We had Virginia Hayes from Lotusland with us on this visit.

FWIW, that big spreading Lotusland specimen (bottom pic) is gorgeous when its trunk gets wet following a rain. Maybe next year...

_____

Ken I would not assume the tree predates the house. It looks like it was planted with the house hence why it didn't branch until it knew it cleared obstacles. Probably didn't flower for 30-40 years.

Len--

I'm basing that off of a statement by a historian of SB architecture who was with us on the tour. The house was designed by George Washington Smith in the late '20s. Per this expert, Dracaena draco was not commonly used by the architect at that time, and likely dated from some time earlier.

This tree is supposedly of the form that doesn't branch 'til much later than the ones commonly seen in CA gardens. (Forget which form hails from where at the moment.) FWIW, this tree (Montecito) seldom blooms or seeds. It's DBH was 54".

_____

image001-741419.jpg

This tree is always the highlight of a Greyhound bus excursion through/to Ft Lauderdale. Grows with considerable ease in SoFla, as long as it's high enough above the water table and isn't subject to periods of inundated soils, tho probably susceptible to hurricane damage. Still, worthy of wider use.

_____

Len--

I'm basing that off of a statement by a historian of SB architecture who was with us on the tour. The house was designed by George Washington Smith in the late '20s. Per this expert, Dracaena draco was not commonly used by the architect at that time, and likely dated from some time earlier.

This tree is supposedly of the form that doesn't branch 'til much later than the ones commonly seen in CA gardens. (Forget which form hails from where at the moment.) FWIW, this tree (Montecito) seldom blooms or seeds. It's DBH was 54".

Wow Ken. Without scale I was guesstimating 40 feet. That is huge.

Can you find out the form you referred to? I have never heard of forms of Draco before. I would like to read about this as I am not buying the later branching bit :) I think that is a product of its current environment.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I love the look of the later branching specimen. Phil Favell has several that he planted at the same time, and one of them has this form as well, although he treated them all the same.

San Fernando Valley, California

I'm speechless........

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Len--

Can you find out the form you referred to? I have never heard of forms of Draco before. I would like to read about this as I am not buying the later branching bit :) I think that is a product of its current environment.

Len--

The Montecito tree measured at slightly over 43' tall, 32' wide, with almost 55" DBH.

The monastery tree was slightly shorter but wider, with a similar DBH.

Both trees are being considered as for inclusion in the Big Tree Registry, but participation is at owners' discretion. The (tentative) total point difference between the two trees is very small. Will have to wait for the final decisions before releasing exact numbers.

Will try to get you an answer on from where the upright "form" originates. Someone mentioned the nativity, but I didn't take good enough mental notes...

Here's a comparison of both "forms" growing side-by-side in a Malibu garden. I'd bet that the owner wasn't aware of the variability when planting them... :hmm:

Malibu_Dracaena.jpg

Edited by fastfeat

_____

Len--

Len--

Per Randy Baldwin, the tall-trunked form is found growing in Tenerife; low-branching ones from La Palma and Cape Verde Islands.

_____

Thanks Ken. I made a post here years ago about a different in Draco leaves. There seemed to be two forms. One with short leaves and one with longer leaves more closely related to Cinnabari. I wonder if this relates to the forms listed above? Are there any other differences past branching height?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks Ken. I made a post here years ago about a different in Draco leaves. There seemed to be two forms. One with short leaves and one with longer leaves more closely related to Cinnabari. I wonder if this relates to the forms listed above? Are there any other differences past branching height?

Gotta say that I didn't really look for differences between leaf length. Nothing jumped out at me tho where I thought other features (besides branching habit) warranted consideration. Apparently the Montecito tree did not flower profusely, per someone there. Didn't see any old inflorescences or fruit. There were a few vols beneath the monastery tree.

_____