IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms grown over my head now - when once were not

Walter John

Hi folks, here's a couple of pics showing a palm or two that were no taller than my waist two or three years ago, now they are well and truly over my head. Perhaps you might have something similar from your garden you may like to share, it does give incentive and encouragement to all.

Normanbya normanbyi

post-51-0-44183900-1398233590_thumb.jpg

Caryota albertii

post-51-0-58577600-1398233618_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, unless you have shrunk considerably or are standing in deep holes, the growth is impressive!

It's a great idea for a thread and I'll add photos as soon as I can. I have the excellent problem of lots to sort after a week in Puerto Rico.

Cindy Adair

Wal, I understand as we age we get shorter..........just a thought. :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Congrats Wal! Having started my garden with very small, if not tiny palms or even seeds, I am thrilled that some are growing over my head too! I can feel the happiness ooze out of your pores!

Good job.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Hey Wal, it's almost getting time where we'll be swapping stories soon. :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wal,

I wish I'll be able to post "palm growing over my head" like you one day with this Loxococcus in Doranakanda garden, which survived the drought we had since 5 months.

post-6735-0-37828900-1398275452_thumb.jppost-6735-0-17457500-1398275466_thumb.jp

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Very nice Wal!!! :) Love that feeling every time too! So far only have few palms that are overhead as well...

Do Normanbya really grow that fast??? In what conditions are you growing yours and its loving it so much?

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Nice palms Wal! You look like a proud father as you should be! Here's a Kentiopsis Oliviformus that was started by seed three years ago. The tallest leaf is about 6'6", two inches taller than me now! :) a bit hard to get a good photo as my jungle is rather stuffed full of plants :)

post-9514-0-43021700-1398283963_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-44514800-1398283976_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-59533100-1398283988_thumb.jp

Hey Wal, it's almost getting time where we'll be swapping stories soon. :)

Yes indeed, in fact we leave here for LA in only 3 weeks, that is Col, Dave and myself, then the other ratpackers will follow after, Daryl, Mike and Andy. Look forward to a yarn or two.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This pair of Archo purpureas have dawdled along until now. They're both in a bit of a growth spurt it seems and now they are officially overhead.

post-51-0-80160100-1398322107_thumb.jpg

Here I am delirious with joy at having grown this magnificent New Caledonian Cyphophoenix nucele from a foot high pup to this skyscraper, um, okay, bit of an exaggeration there, but she's well and truly o'head. Love this palm, hmm, which ones don't I love.

post-51-0-53819800-1398322127_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Come on Wal - you were Kneeling in those first two shots ! :mrlooney:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate