IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Reconnecting after 20 years

AndyR

Hi

Great to see so much activity here. I was an IPS member over 20 years ago and Am thinking of signing up again. Wondering if the seedbank or equivalent still operates?

Also would love to post some pics in an album or gallery but not sure if I have permission or not...

Thank you!

Andy

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now...

~ Chinese Proverb

10344842_10152443920736742_914492094660907758_n.jpg

Welcome! I can't answer about the seed bank but anyone can can post pics, we'll all look forward to seeing them.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I believe the seed bank was dismantled years ago. Now RPS is essentially the current equivalent.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Well, I was not around 20 years ago (Palmwise), but all I can say is welcome back. Can't wait to see your pictures, post, and recounts of 20 years MIA.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks for the replies, shame about the seedbank it was awesome. I ended up with so many plants that blew my mind and I wish I'd kept many of them. Over time as my business became more dominant there would always be some colector who just had to have that specimen... and so I'm almost starting again!

I'll check out RPS, guessing that will be on the IPS website?

~ Chinese Proverb

Thanks for the replies, shame about the seedbank it was awesome. I ended up with so many plants that blew my mind and I wish I'd kept many of them. Over time as my business became more dominant there would always be some colector who just had to have that specimen... and so I'm almost starting again!

I'll check out RPS, guessing that will be on the IPS website?

Here you go

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/index2.shtml

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thanks Zeeth, have been eyeing that site off and should probably wait until Spring!

Very exciting!

~ Chinese Proverb

I've been out and (mostly) in for 20 plus years, and good to see you back!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Andrew ? Is that you ? Touch footy Works Dept Andrew ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sorry Wal, seems I'm not keeping up here!

Yes back then I was just getting into palms, made a walk in incubator and was germinating seeds like a demon. Best part is I'm back and been getting areal buzz out of it! Found a great bunch of Trachycarpus seeds and it just clicked in again...

~ Chinese Proverb

Always good to reconnect after an absence. I thought when I took a break for a year that was a long time...ha...that's nothing compared to twenty....welcome back!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks, good to be back!

~ Chinese Proverb

I don't know you - I've been here only a couple of years - but welcome back!

I would highly suggest checking out RPS' reputation (on here, in fact) - I cannot in good conscience recommend them.

I did not know about the seedbank - it does sound like it was awesome - shame something good went away.

Thanks Santoury!

Basically people from around the word would send in seeds in the 'The Bank' and these were dispersed in small packets throughout the world. I received some amazing seeds over a number of years. Yes it was a bit of a lottery and sometimes would receive seed I didn't really want, but WOW some of the stuff was mind-blowing! Of course it cost extra to be a part of, but well worth it!

~ Chinese Proverb

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Andy. Have you had a look for stuff at Palms for Brisbane at Morningside? They've got heaps of stuff

Hi Andy and welcome

Yes Palms for Brisbane is great for the rarer species of palms !

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks for the tip fellas. Yes I have quite a few of their palms them now! Will post some pics soon...

~ Chinese Proverb

Hi Kathryn. I'm in Brisbane Australia which is the subtropics. Winters are fairly mild and last about a week of cool temperatures!

Not sure how to answer the next question as their are lots. Been making up for lost time with some very large Bismarkia's and Red Latans... and today got some more Pelagodoxa Henryana, Reinhardtia Simplex, Kerriodoxa Elegans, some wild Calaptrocalyx and Pinanga's.

Also just made a germination bench made out of a electric blanket! Hothouse is firing and choc full... I will post some pics soon!

Cheers, Andy

~ Chinese Proverb

• 4 weeks later...