IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just a few new pictures of my yard

Hilo Jason

My wife and I were out of the country in Uganda for the past 3 months. Since being home I've replaced a few palms and straightened up a bit. Thanks to a mild winter and a friend taking care of the place while we were gone, it's looking pretty good around here for just coming into spring.

Here's a couple of pictures from my iPhone yesterday:

post-3101-0-24387900-1397922461_thumb.jp

The palm in the front / center is a Burretiokentia vieillardii that I planted yesterday. This will be the third I've tried, so really hoping it takes. This is the nicest one I've started with, so hoping that does the trick. It's keeping company with a lot of New Caledonia friends in this planter. Kentiopsis Pyriformis on each side of it, Kentiopsis Oliviformis behind it to the right and a few others hidden for now.

post-3101-0-36520000-1397922621_thumb.jp

Foxy Lady looking foxy! Probably 13-14 feet tall now.

post-3101-0-53471900-1397922686_thumb.jp

In my backyard, this is one of my favorite spots to sit in the late afternoon. This was a full sun part of the yard in the summer when we bought this house 5 years ago! I love how it feels now!

post-3101-0-18175100-1397922776_thumb.jp

Sitting in the same spot as the previous picture, but just looking the opposite direction to where there is still more sun getting through.

Will try to post a few more pictures later. I'll be out in the yard all day today squeezing in a few more plantings!

Happy Easter everyone.

Wow! What; a difference from the first pics you posted years ago. Looking great Jason!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Looks great! You've been at least as busy as I have been over the past 5 years :) keep up the excellent work! I'm imagining some bromeliads, cycads, crotons and some variegation thrown into your beds for some color, I can't help designing beds in my head when I see available dirt, it's what I do :)

Keep posting pics of your great work! I love it!

Your garden is looking very flash! :) Uganda? Will we see photos in the travel forum? There is more to this story...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Great garden!

Pictures of Uganda? Palms . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My My how things have grown since i last saw your garden on here Jason !

I agree that some broms would add a touch of color here and there !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

A trip to Uganda? Wow, I for one would love to see some pictures posted here on a new topic. I'm amazed how big some of the palms have grown. Your really creating a nice tropical setting. Very inviting. Hope to see more, Jason, thanks.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jason, the yard looks like your friend have it some TLC while gone. You are lucky to have someone like that.

Also hope to hear good news from your trip.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks everyone for the comments! It's nice to be back on Palm Talk a bit these days and to be back out in my yard enjoying the perfect weather right now.

Palmdude & Troy - I agree that bromeliads would be a great addition to my place. I have tried several and have not had much luck. I'm hoping to get some more experience with them as the yard fills in and to be able to keep them alive. I've been planting more ti plants and a few other colorful plants here and there, but I could really go crazy on bromeliads if I can get them to stay alive!

Len - yeah my friend Chris ("Chris In Murrieta" here on palm talk) would stop by once a week or so and keep an eye on things, pull some weeds and treat a few palms with hydrogen. Yes, I am very lucky and thankful to have him help out.

So here's a brief summary of our connection with Uganda.

My wife and I have been supporting an organization there, run by a local woman, that has a medical clinic, orphanage, school, farm and some retail shops. After supporting financially for a few years, we decided to go visit and meet the people there face to face. This was in December 2012. While there, we fell in love with a little girl at the orphanage. After returning home, we inquired about adopting her. Due to a very sad story, she was available for adoption so we started the process. In December 2013 we booked a trip there to hopefully finish the process and bring her home. We ended up staying for 3 months and for situations way out of our control, were not able to get a court date for our adoption hearing. We had to come home to take care of some work and also renew some of our paperwork on the US side. So we are just finishing that paperwork now, and preparing to head back over there soon. Not sure when as we are still waiting on a court date. We spent everyday for 3 months with her, so that was amazing. We also connected with a lot of other people there and un-officially adopted an 18 year old girl who we met on our first trip as well. Uganda is a beautiful country with very warm and generous people. We didn't travel around the country a lot because we couldn't take our soon-to-be daughter out of the village. But we plan on visiting Uganda quite a bit with her once she is legally ours so she can always remember where she came from and have that connection.

Here is a picture of her and I. This is at a pretty nice hotel in western uganda that had a nice garden. The palm behind me looked like some type of Dypsis Madagascariensis.

post-3101-0-26876300-1398060607_thumb.jp

As far as palms go, I saw a lot of large multi-trunk Phoenix palms. Usually always near streams or some sort of water source. I'm not a phoenix expert ,but they could have been reclinata. I also saw a good size grouping of Raphia Farinifera growing in a river bed area. As far as non-native palms, Royal palms were the most common, and also Archontophoenix Alexandrae. If a gas station or string of shops had a palm or two planted, it would be one of those. I saw a few Dypsis Madagascariensis types at a couple of nice hotels and only a couple of Coconuts. Climate-wise you could really grow anything tropical there as the weather is always between 68-85. But it's not the kind of economy where anything unique would be available anywhere. Not sure where the nicer hotels get their plants from.

• Upvote 2

Here are a few more pictures of my place. It was a perfect weekend for some new pictures as I continued to clean things up.

Nice to have a little piece of Africa in my yard, and looking pretty good after a mild winter, Raphia Farinifera:

post-3101-0-76419500-1398061366_thumb.jp

My friend and fellow palm talker Nick (Quinn Palms) helped me move this Dypsis Pembana last week. In 1 week the new spear has pushed 4" so looks like it's not skipping a beat. This was planted out as a small 1 gallon exactly 4 years ago.

post-3101-0-05624700-1398061467_thumb.jp

Dypsis Prestoniana:
post-3101-0-21790300-1398061495_thumb.jp

This Dypsis has been interesting. It looks like a Decipiens but with finer leaves and was very fast. However shortly after planting it out, it stopped growing and then out of nowhere it started pushing growth out the front of the base of the original plant. The new growth has now split into these two colorful suckers and the original plant still hasnt moved at all. Curious to see what this develops into:
post-3101-0-60168100-1398061605_thumb.jp

Rhopalostylis Sapida Oceana:
post-3101-0-34529900-1398061741_thumb.jp

A slightly different view of the Oceana on the right and Rhopalostylis Baurei on the left (with a lot of other stuff in there too!)

post-3101-0-43059800-1398061786_thumb.jp

In that previous picture you can see some stairs leading up to a small deck. That then leads out onto a short bridge over to the roof of my garage. Here's a look back at the yard from the roof of the garage:

post-3101-0-12081000-1398061862_thumb.jp

The schizolobium are just now flushing out their new branches and I just noticed today that one of them looks like its about to flower for the first time.

That's all the pictures for now, thanks for reading and looking.

Hope you all had a nice easter.

Looks like a lovely little girl jason

Rhoplostylis oceana looks great - do you find thisd one to be the faster than the other Rhopies ?

Broms are impossible to kill even down here in Tas ! just leave a bit of water in the crown and plant in the ground !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Troy - This Oceana and the nearby Baurei seem to be growing at about the same rate for me. Both were planted as 5 gallons at the same time. The Baurei seems to like my yard a bit more as it never burns or brown tips like the oceana does. I am 15 miles inland from the coast and we can get some 100+ F degree days in the summer so I don't think they like that too much.

What a cutie! I hope everything works out for you and your new daughter. What's her name? Looks like she adores you, and you her.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

What an amazing story, Jason, out there changing lives. She looks very happy with her new papa. :) I wish you and your wife all the best with the completion of the adoption process.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Jason,

Congratulations on your adpotion process, fantastic garden, but moreso for having a huge heart. I hope everything works out for you, your family, and your growing family too!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Jason, your daughter-to-be is adorable. And your Cali palm garden looks fantastic.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Jason your garden looks really nice! Congrates on becoming a Dad with that beautiful little girl!!!

test

Jason,

Wow, what a great new adventure for you and your wife. Andrea and I wish you all the best with a smooth adoption and the start of a new family. She's one lucky child!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Fabulous, good luck with everything new too.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Garden looks amazing. Hopefully us SoCal folks will have the privilege of meeting your daughter at an event one day in the future.

Wow Jason! What a beautiful little girl, I'm a big softie, you're story brought tears of joy!

As for keeping Broms alive in the garden, they're like orchids, the more you look after them the more likely they are to go into decline. They like to fend for themselves and be left alone. Don't water them unless their cups have almost completely dried up. They seem to like to rot if watered too much.