IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms and Orchids

BPK Palm Addict

I am thinking of growing some orchids on the trunks of a few of my larger palms. Is anyone doing that and do you have any advice. I would like to know where to start and how to handle watering. Please post pictures.

In my previous garden many of the palm trunks were covered with numerous different orchids. Vandaceous types were trained to climb up their trunks whilst others such as Cattleyas and Dendrobiums were simply tied on with old panty hose.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I've been growing a large dendrobium on the trunk of a Ptychosperma elegans for years now. The orchid roots have grown all the way down the trunk and into the ground!

It gets no special care, I just tied it on one day and left it. It's surrounded by some ioxora bushes so its not completely exposed

An Angraecum sesquipedale in flowers on a Dypsis carlsmithii in habitat (Analalava reserve - Madagascar) :bemused:

10712532313_eb117d33c4_c.jpg

10712381625_1d2695586b_c.jpg

Olivier
My Flickr Album
Palmeraie Union Society - Ti-Palm' Society

Steve, I think I going to look for a dendrobium and give it a try.

Oliver,

That is too cool. Thanks for the pic.

There's a guy who has a booth at the BPK flea market with lots of orchids at reasonable prices. He can give you advice on what will do well on palms vs rough-barked trees etc. He may be there this morning.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Depending on sun exposure, Vandas & Cattleyas may be your best option. They like brighter conditions then most Dendrobiums. Stay away from Phalaenopsis as they prefer a much shadier environment. I am partial to the Vandaceous alliance as there are hybrids available that produce long lasting flowers and may bloom multiple times a year.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I have dendrobiums, phalaenopsis and these little tiny yellow and brown orchids that are endemic to the coast tied onto coconut palms. I just took this photo right outside my window, I didn't even have to get up from the computer!

Peter

post-2997-0-67724200-1397919104_thumb.jp

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Michael,

Thats a great idea. I think that guys name is Mel. He would be a great source for the best orchid for our area.

Moose,

Thanks for the input. I have several orchids in my outdoor shower but they only bloom once a year. Blooming more often is something that would be really desirable.

Peter,

Love that tropical view right from your keyboard. Thanks for the picture.

I have dendrobiums, phalaenopsis and these little tiny yellow and brown orchids that are endemic to the coast tied onto coconut palms. I just took this photo right outside my window, I didn't even have to get up from the computer!

Peter

Peter - I suspect that the orchid in your post is an Encyclia. Most can handle a fair amount of sun and thrive without much care once established. Usually they bloom once a year and have very pretty flowers. They are dainty in size. These would be best attached to a palm along a pathway at eye height so they can be observed while blooming.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B