IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is my palm dead

Aye

I planted my royal palm a week and it looks like it got severely sun burned. Even it's new spear looks sun burned .

post-9426-0-65547100-1397694638_thumb.jp

if the spear pulls out it's dead, if it don't it's not, but it may need some tlc and some noxzema. a little aloe might not hurt either

Still got some fresh green showing. Keep watering as you normally would. Don't give up yet.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Roystonea might not be the best choice in your climate. It looks like it gets too cold for long term survival.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Ouch! Tug on the spear and see if it comes out. If not, water water water like Keith said. I doubt it's dead but you're going to want to get it established before that dry heat sets in over summer. Maybe erect a temporary shade structure over it to help it regenerate? I've grown many royals from seed and have had them defoliate at that size and bounce back

Thank u for all the quick replies, and the spear didn't pull out, so I try to follow all of your advise like giving water and giving it some shade

• Upvote 1

Location, location, location! I have grown over 100 royals from seed to 5 gallon size here in Arizona and can promise, you will not be able to establish one without protection from our western sun.They will burn up over summer, even if kept moist all the time.This species does do well if planted on the east side of a house or in the shade of other trees.Other things to consider...Was this tree freshly imported from California? It would need at least a month or 2 just to acclimate to our drier air.Did you fertilize the tree at all? For a tree to burn up that quickly, it either got WAY more sun than it was used to, got over fertilised, or was not kept moist as a new transplant should be.Best thing to do with that one is pull it out of the ground, put it back in its pot in the shade, and keep it moist to see if it will recover.It will not recover in that spot unless you build a shade structure over it.It's still early enough in the season to give it another try but remember to provide shade and moisture until at least November.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

post-236-0-21055900-1397760586_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Both of the ones we planted last year are in filtered afternoon sun. They get full sun until about 1:30pm right now but they've had several months to acclimate. On Scott's point, ours were grown in Arizona from seed (thanks to Patrick/pfancy). I've always read that gives them the best chance to make it in our conditions...

I hope it pulls through for you... they definitely can be grown here with a little extra protection.

Patrick (pfancy) has some incredible gardening skills and I am very impressed with the amount of different exotic palms he has been able to grow.His garden is one of the top 5 for palminess in Phoenix!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

• 7 years later...
On 4/16/2014 at 5:31 PM, Aye said:

I planted my royal palm a week and it looks like it got severely sun burned. Even it's new spear looks sun burned .

post-9426-0-65547100-1397694638_thumb.jp

So did your royal survive? Did you try again if it didn't?

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

On 4/17/2014 at 5:27 PM, aztropic said:

Patrick (pfancy) has some incredible gardening skills and I am very impressed with the amount of different exotic palms he has been able to grow.His garden is one of the top 5 for palminess in Phoenix!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Where’s does Patrick live? I would love to see what he’s got going on in Phoenix.

Near Wigwam golf course.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona