IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas panzhihuaensis... what is it really?

Geoff

I have grown this species of cycad for over 10 years... it is one of the best Cycas species for southern California- super cold hardy and green and dependable... just noticed that Kew (the plant list) has meshed this species with Cycas siamensis. I have been to Thailand and seen this species growing natively there... impressive, very silver-leaved, remarkable cycads growing all over a cliff not too far from Nong Nooch (at least we got there and back in a day on the bus). And for those who have tried to grow Cycas siamensis in California, you know this species is nearly impossible to keep alive here (super cold sensitive). Not to mention these two are two of the most dissimilar looking Cycas species there are. So whatever we are growing as Cycas panzhihuaensis in California is, it certainly as heck is NOT Cycas seemanii... so what's going on??

First 4 pics are of Cycas panzhihuaensis (as I know it) and last 4 are of Cycas siamensis in Thailand.

post-426-0-59615700-1397539240_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-53138800-1397539263_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-75452200-1397539315_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-73413600-1397539367_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-15133400-1397539402_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-24004100-1397539418_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-28063300-1397539437_thumb.jpg

post-426-0-18641500-1397539449_thumb.jpg

I don't know what Kew has to say on this, but there is no way panz. Should be confused with, or lumped with siamensis. I know some people lump species, but the two are way too different to lump. Tom

Geoff, I received the following note from Michael Calonje, one of the keepers of the World List of Cycads:

"Hi Jody,
I think I figured out the mess.
See the attached De Laubenfels & Adema Cycas revision.... [Jody's comment: This paper was loaded with problems and inaccuracies.]
They listed C. immersa as an accepted species and listed both C. baguanheensis and C. panzhihuaensis as synonyms.
I think this is how these got into the plant list system, and since they also have C. immersa listed as a synonym of C. siamensis (as does the WL), then these two names ended up subsumed as synonyms of C. siamensis.
The Plant List creates their classification based on published papers, and if the source information is inaccurate, this can sometimes result in issues such as these.
regards,
Michael"

I don't know. That list really doesn't mean anything to the cycad scientific community. The World List of Cycads is the source.

Oh... so does that mean Cycas guizhouensis is not C szechuaensis, either? Or is there C ophiolytica or is just C angulata?