IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cleared Area And Planted New Palm Arrivals!

Jim in Los Altos

post-181-0-10638500-1397340115_thumb.jpg Cyphophoenix elegans

post-181-0-92746600-1397340178_thumb.jpg Polyandrococos caudescens

post-181-0-94426900-1397340233_thumb.jpg Gaussia princeps

post-181-0-23962800-1397340346_thumb.jpg Dypsis albofarinosa

post-181-0-11342800-1397340383_thumb.jpg Kentiopsis oliviformis

post-181-0-86952500-1397340425_thumb.jpg Archontophonix myolensis

I cleared out mother ferns and way overgrown Dianella to make room for some new palms recently, added rock in one area and added a couple of the new palms in empty spaces that are rapidly becoming obsolete in my smallish garden. This is how I celebrated my 56th birthday week.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Nice! Where did you get the big kentiopsis? Happy birthday btw.

You can order enormous kentiopsis from Floribunda, $25. The 3g Hawaii size is equivalent to a Calif 15g size. Best deal around.

Good choices Jim !

Had no idea you were 56 !!!

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Jim........you have one of my inspiration gardens....always like to take ideas from your selections. Oh....and Happy Birthday!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Jim........you have one of my inspiration gardens....always like to take ideas from your selections. Oh....and Happy Birthday!

Thanks, Dave. What better way to celebrate another birthday than with more palms!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Good choices Jim !

Had no idea you were 56 !!!

Thanks, Troy. Yeah, 56. Thankfully I don't feel old...yet.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Nice! Where did you get the big kentiopsis? Happy birthday btw.

Ben, Dwight carries a lot of stuff that he doesn't list on his Nor. Cal. list. I got two from him and they wer full rooted into their five gallon containers and all CA acclimated.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Great choices Jim. Not sure Gaussia princeps will do much for you. I had a good sized one I traded off a few years back because it needed heat and didn't like winters.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Great choices Jim. Not sure Gaussia princeps will do much for you. I had a good sized one I traded off a few years back because it needed heat and didn't like winters.

Len, I took a chance since this one was not greenhouse grown and has seen some pretty chilly temps already. I grew a Gaussia maya for many years to adulthood but lost it in 2007's freeze the following spring. How would you rate G. Maya with G. Princeps?

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Maya is much easier to grow. Princips seems to suffer cold damage on the leaves every winter and I could only get one leaf a year after the first winter in the ground. Who knows, I could have had a dud. Hope you have much more success.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Maya is much easier to grow. Princips seems to suffer cold damage on the leaves every winter and I could only get one leaf a year after the first winter in the ground. Who knows, I could have had a dud. Hope you have much more success.

I'll cross my fingers and baby it along the way. It's opening a frond pretty fast and the next spear is moving at a fair clip in this only 70 degree weather but, as you said, after next winter, it my become more reluctant. It's worth the try though.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Nice way to celebrate the birthday Jim, I'll be 56 in August too and I was planning on planting a Polyandrococos (Allagoptera now) for the occasion. You garden looks amazing as usual, congrats.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Nice way to celebrate the birthday Jim, I'll be 56 in August too and I was planning on planting a Polyandrococos (Allagoptera now) for the occasion. You garden looks amazing as usual, congrats.

Thanks, Gileno. 1958 was a good year. :winkie: I know about the Allagoptera reclassification. Sometimes it's hard to change something when you've known it the other way so long. In the palm world, you have to expect it though.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim,

Always exciting to clear out an area and plant stuff! :) I'm sure the palms will be real happy there. And nice touch with the rocks! :) Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday! 1958 was indeed a good year - I remember it well! :lol2:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I am amazed you're finding room to squeeze more stuff in. I only got a couple of things from Dwight this time around. i am having a lot of success with Floribunda stuff, it's keeping more money in my wallet. I even planted a lemuirophoenix (which I don't expect to live, but you never know), I am surprised you don't have a lemuirophoenix tucked away in your garden somewhere. :)

I am stuffing in a few different species of archontophoenix to get more of a palmy backdrop. I also got one of those myolensis for $8 from Floribunda. That's where Dwight gets his.

I am amazed you're finding room to squeeze more stuff in. I only got a couple of things from Dwight this time around. i am having a lot of success with Floribunda stuff, it's keeping more money in my wallet. I even planted a lemuirophoenix (which I don't expect to live, but you never know), I am surprised you don't have a lemuirophoenix tucked away in your garden somewhere. :)

I am stuffing in a few different species of archontophoenix to get more of a palmy backdrop. I also got one of those myolensis for $8 from Floribunda. That's where Dwight gets his.

The A. myolensis was free, a gift. I've bought lots of palms from Floribunda. They always arrived healthy and in great condition. Most of what I get from Dwight is for clients and needs to be fifteen gallon size. I may give a Lemurophoenix a try. The only Floribunda palms I've ever lost were three Pinanga javana. They were victims to soil that was too cool by the end of their first winter here.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Slightly jealous of all the more exotic species you're adding, but at the same time I'm also happy to be using more common species that are hardier, but still not exactly common here in the East Bay. So new species for me are adding more understory palms like Chamaedorea microspadix, radicalis, costaricana, tepelijote, Chamaerops humilis cerifera, Brahea edulis and 'Clara', Trachycarpus martianus. I've still got some Rhopalostylis baueri v cheesemanii that I really don't have room for in my own garden, and debate with myself whether I should remove the Archontophoenix cunninghamiana's and mature Illawara in my garden. I wish they were Howeia forsteriana's instead, but those got planted in a client's garden instead. I am really enjoying the grove of Chamaedorea plumosa's in my garden, as they're perfect scale for a small garden like mine.

Slightly jealous of all the more exotic species you're adding, but at the same time I'm also happy to be using more common species that are hardier, but still not exactly common here in the East Bay. So new species for me are adding more understory palms like Chamaedorea microspadix, radicalis, costaricana, tepelijote, Chamaerops humilis cerifera, Brahea edulis and 'Clara', Trachycarpus martianus. I've still got some Rhopalostylis baueri v cheesemanii that I really don't have room for in my own garden, and debate with myself whether I should remove the Archontophoenix cunninghamiana's and mature Illawara in my garden. I wish they were Howeia forsteriana's instead, but those got planted in a client's garden instead. I am really enjoying the grove of Chamaedorea plumosa's in my garden, as they're perfect scale for a small garden like mine.

I too have been adding lots more Chamaedorea species like woodsoniana, plumosa, oblongata, radicalis tree form, costaricana, elatior, hybrids, and more. Trachycarpus martianus is by far my favorite of the genus. I find it both fun and challenging to zone push in my own garden though. Some of my favorite palm species are zone 10 and doing well, at least for now, in my garden. Some, for several years.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Awesome Jim! Keep it up!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Happy belated birthday Jim. Your new palms are beautiful and I agree there is not better way to celebrate a birthday......Christmas, Fourth of July,anniversary, St. Patricks Day; I honestly would invent a new holiday or make up a life event if it would allow me a reason to obtain another palm. When you have the bug the only known cure is a new palm.