IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing Livistona Carinensis?

Peter G

I picked up this palm approx. 1 year ago, thinking it was a South American Copernicia, it was later pointed out to me, it is Livistona Carinensis. After a nice long hot Summer it is starting to look pretty good. Anyone else growing this?

post-6144-0-85119500-1397032146_thumb.jp

That's quite a find Peter. Quite rare, critically endangered and should take well to Perth conditions.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I have a 4' one in the yard that doesn't look very good. It's been planted for several years, but again, not very happy and look's nothing like the ones I saw in Thailand. And when they look good, THEY can really look good!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Mine is almost 6 feet tall and super silver. It is leaning a bit, but that's to reach the sun, more--I have since trimmed up the Dypsis wall, nearby so that it doesn't have to lean. Seems like a super easy palm to grow--lots and lots of water. I would bet it's the most thirsty of the Livistonas.

• 2 years later...

I remember these at Nong Nooch at the Thailand Biennial and added them to my wish list where they remain.... Very Striking at least in Thaland!

Cindy Adair

Here is mine in Brownsville, Texas. About 10 years from a 1 gallon. Seems to be a very fast grower, but I believe it does have some roots in the water table which is only 6 feet down. One of my favorites. It has flowered for the past 3 years, but no seeds. Maybe we don't have the correct vector here.

L-carinensis1-wb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Wondering if the plants in Thailand are producing seed?  I have about 50 people on the waiting list if mine ever produces any.

And Peter G, yours looks to be pretty close to a wall of some kind. It is still probably safe to transplant it. They tend to get very big at the base!

11 hours ago, oliver said:

And Peter G, yours looks to be pretty close to a wall of some kind. It is still probably safe to transplant it. They tend to get very big at the base!

Don't worry, it has loads of room

I have been looking for this for a few years.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

And no such luck? Yeah I want to grow it Too simply cause my cousin lives in Somalia and Ethiopia and also it's African like me.. The only one of its kind.. Really cool palm

On 25 April 2016 11:28:56 PM, Mandrew968 said:

These love water, more than other Livistona and they also are not cold tolerant.

"Not cold tolerant". What sort of cold are we talking about? Freezing temps or will not even get close to freezing i.e. Hyophorbe lagenicaulis.

This palm looks a bit different from many Livistonas. I've got plenty of water, but if they cark in the cold then maybe not worth it for me.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

22 hours ago, oliver said:

I figured that might be the problem, but wasn't sure. Is that true of all Livistonia?

Not all Livistona are. They are kinda all over the board, really... weird group of palms, as far as reproductive flower structures. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

"Not cold tolerant". What sort of cold are we talking about? Freezing temps or will not even get close to freezing i.e. Hyophorbe lagenicaulis.

This palm looks a bit different from many Livistonas. I've got plenty of water, but if they cark in the cold then maybe not worth it for me.

They might be hard to grow in your climate. I would figure them to be a lot like a Licuala spinosa, in hardiness--maybe even cultivation wise...

Results not so good in humid, rainy east Hawaii Island. Seeds from the central Florida seedbank in Sept 2007, donated by Paul Craft from a seed acquisition by Dr. Ford in Djibouti or Somaliland. Grew only slowly in pots, three finally plan ted out in Dec 2014. One died. The best looking survivor is shown below:

carinensis_seedling_MLM_042716.thumb.JPG

When the remaining potted ones seemed to be in decline, two of the best were planted out. Only one of those survives.

There is a nice one growing in the former Audubon center in east Oahu, but the climate is a lot drier.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 9 months later...

They are easy to germinate, same as Washingtonias.  I'll be planting mine once large enough to put out in Palm Springs.  Nearby in Palm Desert there are several and even two coconuts.  Royals are easy there under irrigation. 

Brian Bruning

There is a real nice one at fairchild. I distinctly walking through the mud to check the tag as i had never seen one before (or that the existed for that matter)

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for seeds, seedlings or plants of Livistona carinensis.  Any idea where I can source them? 

On 10/20/2018, 1:59:04, BrianRBruning@gmail.com said:

I'm looking for seeds, seedlings or plants of Livistona carinensis.  Any idea where I can source them? 

I Havnt had any luck either.   Been looking for a while