IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Decora vs Chinensis in 8A and a little environmental protection

smithgn

Oh yeah, I remember seeing his mules. He has several still. He pretty much has close to anything, seems like. He does have good deals. Very reasonable guy and loves growing palms from their infancy more than actually selling them/making money off them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm... So after doing a little reading I've come across the interesting fact that the radicalis comes in two forms: A "low growing form" and a trunking type. Can anyone take a look at post #39 and tell me what they think my radicalis' are? They might be too young to discern what they will become, yet I've searched around and found that the low growing form has longer leaflets than the trunking form- or maybe I'm mistaken.

Also, what are the heights I can expect from each form once it's fully grown?

Hm... So after doing a little reading I've come across the interesting fact that the radicalis comes in two forms: A "low growing form" and a trunking type. Can anyone take a look at post #39 and tell me what they think my radicalis' are? They might be too young to discern what they will become, yet I've searched around and found that the low growing form has longer leaflets than the trunking form- or maybe I'm mistaken.

It's hard to tell when they're that young- at least for me. Mine is the creeping type, but it still gets a trunk. The trunk creeps along the ground horizontally. I've read that they max out at 4 feet tall. Which mine is already. Here is a picture of the stem: k4yr0g.jpg

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

And here is a full shot. This is as tall as the creeping ones if I'm not mistaken: 10gh66q.jpg

Edited by ArchAngeL01

Holy crap that's an enormous radicalis! I love the deep green color yours has. Is yours strictly indoor? I've never seen a trunk like that. I know mine is still a young plant, but the leaves don't even slightly resemble yours. Mine could be of the trunking variety.

It is in the ground now. This was taken back in February. I can't wait to see how it does this winter. :)

Very cool! I'm interested to see how they do as well. By the way, I don't know how much sunlight yours gets being outside, but ever since I planted mine a few weeks ago it looks like I've been getting some progression of wilting on one or more of my leaves. Have any idea what would be causing this? I'm starting to think it's too much direct sunlight. My two radicalis' get 3-4 hours of early morning to mid-morning sun every day. One of them is completely happy and the one that I have pictures of below, is showing signs of being burned. Any ideas?

001_zps02d13db0.jpg

002_zpse7d86cf0.jpg

Same radicalis but different leaflets

003_zps77df7ccd.jpg

Some of my fronds are burned as well. The new fronds that grow out should be more acclimated for the sun and should not burn. Mine has the same growing conditions as yours.

I am giving a semi-educated guess they are trunking.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Very cool! I'm interested to see how they do as well. By the way, I don't know how much sunlight yours gets being outside, but ever since I planted mine a few weeks ago it looks like I've been getting some progression of wilting on one or more of my leaves. Have any idea what would be causing this? I'm starting to think it's too much direct sunlight. My two radicalis' get 3-4 hours of early morning to mid-morning sun every day. One of them is completely happy and the one that I have pictures of below, is showing signs of being burned. Any ideas?

001_zps02d13db0.jpg

002_zpse7d86cf0.jpg

003_zps77df7ccd.jpg

Looks like fertilizer burn to me.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Some of my fronds are burned as well. The new fronds that grow out should be more acclimated for the sun and should not burn. Mine has the same growing conditions as yours.

This is what I was hoping for... I've read the radicalis can become acclimated to more than just the shade/partial shade it grows in naturally. We'll see!

001_zps02d13db0.jpg

002_zpse7d86cf0.jpg

003_zps77df7ccd.jpg

Would root stimulator count as fertilizer? I've used non-fertilized soil and have yet to put any "palm food".

This is what I was hoping for... I've read the radicalis can become acclimated to more than just the shade/partial shade it grows in naturally. We'll see!

001_zps02d13db0.jpg

002_zpse7d86cf0.jpg

003_zps77df7ccd.jpg

Would root stimulator count as fertilizer? I've used non-fertilized soil and have yet to put any "palm food".

Greenhand....did you move? I don't remember you being 8a....nice to see you post again...always liked your pool plantings.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Beautiful Chinensis. Thanks for sharing. There is hope for us 8a'ers!

How old is it?

Thanks . no did not move i am in the Dallas area i believe is zone 8a. this winter was pretty brutial we set a record for the most days below freezing.