IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis oliviformis

quaman58

Hey all,

Haven't heard a lot about this one, but understand it should do well here. Is there a reason it's not grown more widely here? It's a bit difficult to tell from pictures in habitat whether or not it has a look that's much different than perhaps Howeas. Anyone with experience?

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Hi Bret.  I think this is a good choice for So Cal.  This is a pic of mine (on the left) at the beginning of Spring.  It has siince opened a leaf and the next spear is about 8 inches long.  They are pretty slow.  They look nothing like a Kentia, I think that is a complete misnomer.  They have a real nice green ringed trunk w/ dark green crownshaft and upright, shuttle-cock like foliage.  By the way, last time I was up at Jungle Music I saw that they had a couple of 15 gallons that looked real nice.

post-126-1153173793_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hey Bret, I think Matty is right. Looks nothing like a kentia. More like a king when in the seedling/1 gallon size. I've got a little guy in a 3 gallon that has done well for me since I got it 4 months ago. Since then It has opened one frond and about to open another. It is somewhat hard to find one of any good size so that may be why it's not so widely grown though most of the guys I 've met on this forum have at least one in their garden.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Both Matt and Dave are right.I have one that is doing very well,just that they are slow growing.I have a guy  that has three that are fifteen gallon that were grown outdoors if you are intrested.

Shon

San Marcos CA

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to give it a go, I think. I assume that it's a sun lover; I just have to find the right place in an ever-shrinking yard!

B/R's

Bret

Bret

(Shon @ Jul. 17 2006,16:19)

Both Matt and Dave are right.I have one that is doing very well,just that they are slow growing.I have a guy  that has three that are fifteen gallon that were grown outdoors if you are intrested.

Shon

Shon ~ how big what price for the 15's?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

I have two in the ground, so far, so good.  They need plenty of water, but they should do well.

Louis Hooper, who lives near me, has one that's about 20 feet tall with about 5 feet (1.66 m) of clear trunk, and I swooned right into the doggie poop and didn't even care!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

From what I've seen Kentiopsis oliviformis is clearly the fastest growing Kentiopsis, at least in SoCal.  In my opinion, though, it is also the least attractive.  The leaves are very upright, and on the large plants I've seen were usually kind of ratty looking.  If I had a lot of space, I'd probably plant one, but it's not high up on my list overall.  

Matt

• Upvote 1

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

i was just at jungle music on saturday & they told me the 15s were $175.good sized,too.so tempting.big sale coming up-- i better get there first :laugh:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Dave, have not seen them for a couple months but were good sized and great color with minimal leaf burn after being grown outside.I don't know what he was selling them for either,but they are at the same place as the houailou you wanted.We can go by one day and see his stuff.He's got a great garden too.

Shon

San Marcos CA

I have noticed they look a bit better if shaded, at least inland....

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Mine doesn't look ratty here in south FL.   Of course the humidity is a tad greater here than out there in LaLaLand. The leaflets are quite broad and leathery, slightly similar to those of a Chambeyronia, but much heavier, thicker and tougher. They (leaves) seldom reach the horizontal, which gives the crown a somewhat, or definite, shaving brush aspect in older plants.  

I wouldn't put a juvenile in full sun--especially in inland CA.

Also, it ain't slow here: the one I have grew so fast I had to move it to another spot, among a "fence" of R. rivularis, where I expect it to soon tower  above those fast but more squat monsters.

• Upvote 3

• 11 years later...

Show us your K ollies . . . .

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Wow, that's a bump. Had to give RLR a reputation point!

Kudos to you!

So did I . . .

Did you plant any K. ollies? Hope yours are better than mine. Mine have been slow, except for the one I killed in moving a while back. Light shade seems to be best; too much and they stay small and don't trunk.

I did Dave,

It's been really slow going, but is starting to move; I'll post a picture. They do love their water. Neighbor Terry has one younger than mine that has several rings of trunk. It's at that perfect age for this palm. I agree with Matt & others that the really tall ones are not all that awe inspiring. As the yard ages, I find myself remembering Jeff Markus's comment regarding palms that "you can have a conversation with", meaning before they become telephone poles. Couldn't agree more.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Planted from a 7 gallon in late 2010 or early 2011.  Full coastal sun year round.  Has sped up as it approached trunking and post forming a trunk.

20170831-104A7412.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Here's mine. A water lover for sure and a fast grower, trying to keep up with my Archontophoenix. This was planted as a large 5 gal. 3 years ago. 

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

APC_0433.jpg

IMG_0177.JPG

• Upvote 5

This is what they can grow to become

IMG_2908.thumb.JPG.67f0ad10c62d93a024292IMG_2909.thumb.JPG.8e4749c9d20497b3d15fb

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

This is what they can grow to become

IMG_2908.thumb.JPG.67f0ad10c62d93a024292

.... and you too can see it this weekend at the Palm Society of Southern California meeting this weekend, plus a bunch more cool palms and tropical plants!!!  Right Dave?!?! 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Tracy said:

Planted from a 7 gallon in late 2010 or early 2011.  Full coastal sun year round.  Has sped up as it approached trunking and post forming a trunk.

20170831-104A7412.jpg

Perfect!

They are such a great plant for our climate in Southern CA.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Perfect!

They are such a great plant for our climate in Southern CA.

:greenthumb:

12 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Here's mine. A water lover for sure and a fast grower, trying to keep up with my Archontophoenix. This was planted as a large 5 gal. 3 years ago. 

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

APC_0433.jpg

IMG_0177.JPG

16 hours ago, Tracy said:

20170831-104A7412.jpg

They are the most

For the coast!

:drool:

• Like 1

I would say they are identical in that regard. Barring some freak cold event, I've never seen damage on either species around here. They can both deal with near freezing temps.

Bret

I would give the nod to the K.o. by a couple degrees. However the weird part is the Macro will not show leaf damage until a week or more after a significant cold event. Like Bret said though, it would need to be a freak event, in the 32F/0C or lower range to see issues.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

43 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

I would say they are identical in that regard. Barring some freak cold event, I've never seen damage on either species around here. They can both deal with near freezing temps.

I cautiously agree, but pray that the question is and remains academic.

On September 12, 2017 at 2:51:01 PM, Tracy said:

20170831-104A7412.jpg

What a beautiful Palm. Does anyone know if these palms would grow well inland? 

Florida ain't southern California.  I gifted a little one to neighbors.  It, like most everything, held up fine in Irma's wind, which judging from the lack of catastrophic damage, must have been fairly limited.   I have a bigger, but non-trunking one in better wind shelter that flopped over in last year's Matthew wind and again in Irma.  I think it won't get propped again.  May replace it with another Kentiopsis.  

Little Kentiopsis at neighbors' (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

37 minutes ago, 5150cycad said:

What a beautiful Palm. Does anyone know if these palms would grow well inland? 

They're certainly worth a try, especially if you can protect them from hot sun in a heat wave. I have four in the ground, and I'm about 40 miles from the source of the ocean breeze.

38 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

They're certainly worth a try, especially if you can protect them from hot sun in a heat wave. I have four in the ground, and I'm about 40 miles from the source of the ocean breeze.

Thanks Dave. 

On 9/12/2017, 2:51:01, Tracy said:

20170831-104A7412.jpg

Yours is a beauty Tracy!  I agree with others that they look their best right around this stage.  Too bad you can't just keep them this way forever.  I have five of these in the ground that should all start trunking next year.  They definitely are starting to speed up after a couple years in the ground.  I love the dark green trunks, the shuttlecock appearance and the almost aqua colored new leaves.  I think this is one of the best new cal palms for Southern California.  

2 hours ago, mwardlow said:

Mine in HB. They get a lot faster once they start to trunk.

DSCN2287.JPG

Come and worship at the meeting in Fullerton!

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

This is mine, very slow here , at least at this size...

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

Mine is a litle bit bigger than yours and the same, is slow, but every new leave is 100% bigger than last.

People are saying they are faster with age. Time will tell...

• Upvote 3

On 19/09/2017, 1:51:10, Monòver said:

Mine is a litle bit bigger than yours and the same, is slow, but every new leave is 100% bigger than last.

People are saying they are faster with age. Time will tell...

Thanks Antonio,

mine is also in almost full sun... it checked  and it's very firm in the ground and it seemed had good root's growth ...