IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weird but true: only in Florida

PalmatierMeg

While I was repotting succulents this afternoon a guy my husband once gave plants to pulled into the driveway. Seems his buddy in Ohio wants to get rid of the alligator he's been keeping in his basement that past 15 years. Would I be interested in taking it?

FWIW, it's against Federal, State and local laws to own, keep, feed, tease or insult an alligator.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Alligators are great on the BBQ . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It's not against the law, provided you have a permit. Much the same as here for crocodilian species.

"Live American alligators cannot be taken from the wild without a valid Alligator Trapping License. To possess lawfully acquired American alligators for educational purposes, exhibition, or sale to permitted facilities, you must have a Class II License to Possess Wildlife for Exhibition or Public Sale issued by the FWC Captive Wildlife Program.

To possess lawfully acquired American alligators for personal use, you must have a Class II Personal Pet License. Applicants must be 18 years old, not convicted of certain wildlife related violations and demonstrate 1 year and 1,000 hours of substantial practical experience in the handling, husbandry and care of alligators or other crocodilian species. Activities must be documented and caging requirements apply."

Must have been hard to turn down a new pair of boots.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Trust me, the guy in Ohio has no such permit. And the guy that came to me had no idea keeping gators as "pets" is illegal. Since people have fed this wretched beast since it hatched it sees all people as free handouts so it can never be released to the wild. And the idiot in Ohio has snackable kids. Sheesh.

Keith, I won't even clean fish. Maybe the herpetologist in Ohio can bring his "pet" to FL to present to the Gator Boys. That's its only hope.

Meg

Florida

What a dip shit. I hope he gets locked in his basement so he can see how it feels.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty made a great point! I feel sorry for the gator.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

What I am curious about: how do you insult an alligator? Any particular words they take offense to? :bemused: Or maybe it's more in the attitude? :mrlooney:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

feed him a chicken mcnugget

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

what about mocking an alligator? how legal is that?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

What I am curious about: how do you insult an alligator? Any particular words they take offense to? :bemused: Or maybe it's more in the attitude? :mrlooney:

How about:

"Your mother mated with a crocodile."

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

They hate the word boots!

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Tongue in cheek. Gators are pretty forgiving if you toss them food. Trouble is, they can't differentiate between a lamb shank and your kid's arm.

The cruelty of it gets to me too. Granted, it's a reptile but it's also a wild animal that belongs outdoors in the tropics/subtropics. And while they won't beat you at Brain Games, research has shown they are more intelligent than people assume. The guy trying to foist it on me showed me a photo on his phone. The head looked longer than my arm. Not something to keep in your basement if you got half a brain.

Meg

Florida

Hmm.

If I couldn't bear to make gator curry and/or gator high tops out of it, I'd just quietly turn it loose in habitat.

If it's that big, people are its only enemies. And while they can learn, gators are also powered by highly effective instinct. A baby gator just hatched uses the same approach to hunting that it will later in life. Wait till something yummy comes by and grab and eat it.

Hmm.

If I couldn't bear to make gator curry and/or gator high tops out of it, I'd just quietly turn it loose in habitat.

If it's that big, people are its only enemies. And while they can learn, gators are also powered by highly effective instinct. A baby gator just hatched uses the same approach to hunting that it will later in life. Wait till something yummy comes by and grab and eat it.

Can't do that. Once they lose their fear of people they are too dangerous to release.

Meg

Florida

Hmm.

Can't do that. Once they lose their fear of people they are too dangerous to release.

Then, it's gator curry time!

Or, give it to a zoo, if one will take it.

Update: so glad I passed on the pet gator in Ohio. This morning we saw a 3-4 footer in our canal. And it swam away from us not toward us.

Meg

Florida

Bring it to Hawaii, maybe alligators will eat the coqui frogs

:floor:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 4 weeks later...

Update: so glad I passed on the pet gator in Ohio. This morning we saw a 3-4 footer in our canal. And it swam away from us not toward us.

I can offer my pond if he is still homeless. As a fellow native Floridian, he just does not belong in Ohio.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ron, the local guy has never come back. Maybe it was the aghast expression on my face. I'd be very careful about offering it your pond. It has been fed by people for nearly 20 years so it will assume any human it sees is a waiter - or dinner.

Meg

Florida