IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any member here with knowledge in geology?

Phoenikakias

I have found this kind of stone digging a hole in my property. Could someone identify its kind (is it a fossil or what else) and could this find lead to some conclusions about the properties of my (sub)soil?

post-6141-0-48204500-1395001157_thumb.jp

It looks similar to the coral stone we have in Florida.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

... and it was found at about 138 m elevation. The whole mountain must have been once the sea bottom.

Bacherlors and Masters in geology here, emphasis in Sedimentology and ancient climate.

Do you have any other picture, perhaps at different angle and with a coin for scale?

FYI: Mt. Everest has seashell fossils near the peak, so coral can really end up anywhere if it's old enough.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 4 weeks later...

Bacherlors and Masters in geology here, emphasis in Sedimentology and ancient climate.

Do you have any other picture, perhaps at different angle and with a coin for scale?

FYI: Mt. Everest has seashell fossils near the peak, so coral can really end up anywhere if it's old enough.

Sorry for the delayed answer, I had to find first some time for more pics. I do not think that size is of the specific rock is relevant because it probably is only a fragment due to previous palm planting. But here are some pics of bigger parts exposed by the dozer at an old time (and 20 EURO-cents coin for scale)

post-6141-0-76554000-1397146223_thumb.jppost-6141-0-07590300-1397146302_thumb.jppost-6141-0-23369900-1397146346_thumb.jp

Definitely marine conglomerates, as you can see from the shells. They may even be coral/oyster bed that has completely fossilized in place and then broken up later.

The third large picture is very interesting. It appears to have some sort of layered siltstone/sandstone inclusion. Considering the smaller pebbles visible in the other samples, and assuming they're all from the same formation. . . I would be pretty confident saying this was a near-shore/shoal environment that had a lot of interesting things mixed in before it cemented up.

If there weren't obviously marine fossil inclusions (shells) I would say this is a really good candidate for a glacial outwash or glacial moraine sample. They're known for having a mixture of every possible grain size from clay/silt up to house-sized boulders. Though, if those were fresh water clams. . . That might actually be a pretty solid explanation.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."