IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coccothrinax scoparia

Al in Kona

This is my Coccothrinax scoparia, anyway that's what the tag read when I purchased it as a very small plant.  It currently stands at 1.6m  (5.3ft.).  Does it look like it is to you?  What's your guess?

post-90-1172371689_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Close up of leaf

post-90-1172371748_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Base (small trunk) of C. scoparia . . .

post-90-1172371819_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

Al,

IMO,no this is not C. scoparia. From what I always saw and know, is that C. scoparia has a stiff pleated leaf. It also has a nice fiberous matting under the leaves on the trunk.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

After a closer look and comparing it to a few pics I took of Coccothrinax scoparia in habitat in the Dominican Republic, I think I'd agree with you Jeff that this is not that species.  Maybe a hybrid or what does my palm look like to you guys?  Below are a few pics I took of this palm in habitat last October.  Those palms in habitat were all growing under canopy of some sort, filtered sun sometimes.  My palm (whatever it is) is growing in full sun.

post-90-1172374374_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

C. scoparia in habitat . . .

post-90-1172374444_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

If it means anything, I will add in agreement. Yours looks more of the C. barbadensis complex.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I agree. Al's Coccothrinax is not C.scoparia. It is possibly one more C. barbadensis: the "enemy of the diversity of this genus in gardens".

I believe this is a small Scoparia. I lost the name tag but I 'm pretty sure it is. These seem to have slightly thinner fronds.

2007_02250051.jpg

2007_02250055.jpg

David

David,

Yours it is probably the correct species. It has the typic colours and a correct leaf shape (which is quite variable anyway). I can also see a relevant character in the lower leaf of the second picture: the central pair of segments is joined to a longer extent than the nearby leaflets. The plant is still young and this will become clearer in one or two years as it grows older.

It is also in the right pot size. One more year in this pot and then to the ground!

Carlo

Hi Al,

A couple weeks ago, I was looking at a crop of Coccothrinax scoparia that a nursery is growing and they look just about like yours.  I know the seed source and the seed came from the Dominican Republic, so am concerned as well that they may not be correctly identified.  I have noticed that Coccothrinax often seem to grow differently in cultivation than in habitat, but these seem to have too fine a fiber for scoparia as well as too lax a leaf.  Scoparia should be more miraguama like.  

Time will tell.

Paul

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Al,

The first photo definitely looks like a barbadensis type.  A nice specimen nonetheless.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

There are soooo many variables in trying to identify palms in the Coccothrinax tribe.  No wonder we often get a bit confused as to what we are looking at.  

Things to think about:  they often grow differently in cultivation than in habitat;  simple variation among the species itself;  lighting;  climate;  hybridization;  etcetera.  Perhaps even soil type plays a part.  Are there any other things I left out that might make a difference?

Nice sunsets!

Al,

This genus, perhaps more than any other, is in dire need of research.  Perhaps this is Paul Craft's next book?

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The one thing that stuck out in my observation of Ryan's pictures from the Biennial of C. scoparia, is the coarse trunk fibers are modified into long spines (like Arenga pinata) up where the peioles emerge from the growing point.  Am I remembering this correctly?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I think I remembered incorrectly.  I hunted down this picture that Ryan took of C. scoparia.  I think I was either getting it mixed up w/ C. ekmanii or seeing some pine needles stuck into the weave.  My bad.  Are those pine needles?

post-126-1172683683_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Yes MattyB those are pine needles.  One of the dominant tall trees, which serves as a type of canopy for C. scoparia in habitat, are pines.  This picture shows a bit of how the pine forest looks in this area.  Caught two Australians (during IPS Biennial trip) taking a pic of C. scoparia

post-90-1172692630_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

(Al in Kona @ Feb. 27 2007,22:26)

Things to think about:  they often grow differently in cultivation than in habitat...

My experience with wild-collected material tells the opposite. I am always startled when I see how my seedlings turn into juveniles or adults and they become very similar of their mothers in habitat. Despite the climate and soil difference between Camagüey and Tenerife, the Coccothrinax always "say the truth".

Some species are indeed quite related and similar but the great confusion happens because most plants in cultivation are from non-reliable sources. The plants I grew are mainly from wild collected seeds, obtained while i was preparing for the Palmetum the reference collection of Coccothrinax.

Carlo

wow awesome photos. I may be able to provide a photo of the Coccothrinax scoparia specimen at the UF herbarium. I just entered it into the database today.

I'm always up for learning new things!

• 11 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2007‎ ‎12‎:‎47‎:‎29‎, Jimbean said:

Slash pines in Hispanola?

Yes there are. Sorry for the late response. :interesting:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B