IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How do you advance in rank?

palm tree man

How does one progress in the forum? Is it knowledge based or post based? Does status increase with responses, pictures, or posts? Is it activity based? Whatever it is, it is truly a blast and I love every minute on palm talk. It is informative and entrancing as well as entertaining. Take care every one and happy gardening.

Daniel

There is no rank...that I know of...or should be.

Those with self appointed rank often talk "out their ass" and only thru time and levity will you see through the BullFeces.

Sometime ago some of these "high rankers" insisted a palm was not what it was named....despite seed personally given by it's namesake..

As in all forums it's a bit of sharing...teaching and learning.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Well...there is a rank, look just above your avatar. I think it is based on number of posts and is a guide to knowing how long or how involved a person has been with PalmTalk.

I have no idea how we get reputation points but I will ping the MOD.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Those with self appointed rank often talk "out their ass" and only thru time and levity will you see through the BullFeces.

Sometime ago some of these "high rankers" insisted a palm was not what it was named....despite seed personally given by it's namesake..

You talking about the Alfredii v. Windows discussion a while back?

There is rank, on the lower right of each post is a little up arrow button. When you like what someone posted, click on it, the result is that the author of the post gets points.

• Upvote 7

You're talking about me? Fine, I'm not gonna click on your up botton. :) I didnt know what I was talking about then but I learned a lot - talking about what you think you know is a great way to learn more. (and you end up getting some hate mail too). :)

• Upvote 1

I'm most assuredly not talking about you Axel. If I have any issues with people I address them directly and head on.

There was another thread that you weren't a part of that I am attempting to clarify.

• Upvote 2

I'm most assuredly not talking about you Axel. If I have any issues with people I address them directly and head on.

There was another thread that you weren't a part of that I am attempting to clarify.

See? Now I clicked on the up button. I was just jokin' anyway.

• Upvote 1

You're talking about me? Fine, I'm not gonna click on your up botton. :) I didnt know what I was talking about then but I learned a lot - talking about what you think you know is a great way to learn more. (and you end up getting some hate mail too). :)

I think he means the thread I posted a while back of the B. alfredii grown by Pete Balasky that was given to him by Alfred. Some people were insisting that it was B. sp. windows.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I think he means the thread I posted a while back of the B. alfredii grown by Pete Balasky that was given to him by Alfred. Some people were insisting that it was B. sp. windows.

That's the one. I was one of the folks suggesting the palms looked like B.sp 'windows'.

The reputation system is a joke in my book. We have had people actually use other usernames to give themselves reputation points. Can you believe it?

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

The reputation system is a joke in my book. We have had people actually use other usernames to give themselves reputation points. Can you believe it?

Dang it! You caught me Len! :)
  • Upvote 1

Easy, just post a few thousand times over a few years.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow, I wish I had followed this thread but I was too much of a nub at the time to know to do just that thing! This really brightened my day as well as clarified many points about the forum and life in general for me. Thanks guys!

Axel...gave you a up point for explaining that you could give someone up points if you found there thread to be informative or entertaining.....never knew that...lol, that's pretty cool.

I see they don't have down point arrows....probably a good thing knowing the mood around here on occasion.

• Upvote 3

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

There is a rank, and there is a reputation.

If I remember everything correctly - your rank begins at "seed" and progresses through "seedling" to "juvenile" etc. on to "trunking," "flowering." and finally to "setting seed" at which time you are allowed to change your own Title (Forum Member, IPS Member, etc.). This is determined by the number of posts, and I think you become a fully grown palm that is setting seed at 5,000 posts. (I'm too lazy to confirm all those settings at the moment - but that is close enough for government work).

Reputation is determined by the green up arrow in every post that other can users can bestow on you base upon their opinions of your comments and post. Sort of like the FaceBook "Like" feature.

But it should be noted that neither a high rank or reputation means that person knows anymore about anything than anyone else. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I am here to confirm what Dean said in post #18... I'm only here for the points.....

I'm like Schultzie... "I know nothing!"

:innocent:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

You guys are killing me! I think that I understand the system now. Well I don't think that I will ever catch up with any of you on here point wise. I think that I have like three now and I was very lucky to get those. :)

• Upvote 4

You guys are killing me! I think that I understand the system now. Well I don't think that I will ever catch up with any of you on here point wise. I think that I have like three now and I was very lucky to get those. :)

Now you have 4.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thank you Keith; you are a good man. I hope that all your palms are doing well after the freeze. Take care man.

Bathe as little as possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It appears you have done so, I applaud you sir! Do you have anymore of them? I have been trying to find one that is really awesome man!

If you have any extra let me know, I have always wondered why no one attempts to cross phoenix more frequently. They are all beautiful palms.

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2014, 12:20:22, BS Man about Palms said:

I am here to confirm what Dean said in post #18... I'm only here for the points.....

I'm like Schultzie... "I know nothing!"

:innocent:

Reputation, ranking really means nothing. No matter what the reputation or rank - you can rally to the stumphead classification rather quickly. Unreasonable stubbornness and foul language can make that happen.

Schultz was a philosopher and knew how to get along with others. We have some Klinks here.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2015, 12:21:46, Pando said:

I wonder if there's a "bumphead" classification?  :mrlooney:

Hmmmmm, just curious what would be the prerequisites for such a classification?

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 years later...

I understand this thread is older ............. Is there a rules thread around on the ranks?  At what level can you pm more than 2 people in a day? 

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

it was funny reading through here again.  But it is changed now since the inclusion of the now default 'Like' button.  I don't like it.

So before it was 'Rank' for participation or number of posts and 'Reputation' for 'Upvote' which was a 'Thanks' for your knowledge or effort in helping from someone in the thread. usually the OP (Original Poster, the thread starter).  It seems to be an extra step to thank someone for their knowledge or effort now and raise their Reputation.  There are now more likes given than upvotes because it is easier.  Where do the 'Likes' go if not to reputation? (where I think that they were intended). They are going somewhere they are worth something to someone surely. 

We know that rank or rep does not mean much, both can be manipulated, obviously. Disregarding that rare deliberate occurrence, even my modest undeserved rep is only due to a few generous people. Some people are more disposed to saying "thank you" (upvote) and now like than others.  

So, where do those easy  'Like'   buttons go,?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.