How do you advance in rank?

33 posts in this topic

How does one progress in the forum? Is it knowledge based or post based? Does status increase with responses, pictures, or posts? Is it activity based? Whatever it is, it is truly a blast and I love every minute on palm talk. It is informative and entrancing as well as entertaining. Take care every one and happy gardening.

Daniel

There is no rank...that I know of...or should be.

Those with self appointed rank often talk "out their ass" and only thru time and levity will you see through the BullFeces.

Sometime ago some of these "high rankers" insisted a palm was not what it was named....despite seed personally given by it's namesake..

As in all forums it's a bit of sharing...teaching and learning.

Well...there is a rank, look just above your avatar. I think it is based on number of posts and is a guide to knowing how long or how involved a person has been with PalmTalk.

I have no idea how we get reputation points but I will ping the MOD.

Those with self appointed rank often talk "out their ass" and only thru time and levity will you see through the BullFeces.

Sometime ago some of these "high rankers" insisted a palm was not what it was named....despite seed personally given by it's namesake..

You talking about the Alfredii v. Windows discussion a while back?

There is rank, on the lower right of each post is a little up arrow button. When you like what someone posted, click on it, the result is that the author of the post gets points.

It's not visible from the mobile template, only the standard template.

You're talking about me? Fine, I'm not gonna click on your up botton. :) I didnt know what I was talking about then but I learned a lot - talking about what you think you know is a great way to learn more. (and you end up getting some hate mail too). :)

I'm most assuredly not talking about you Axel. If I have any issues with people I address them directly and head on.

There was another thread that you weren't a part of that I am attempting to clarify.

I'm most assuredly not talking about you Axel. If I have any issues with people I address them directly and head on.

There was another thread that you weren't a part of that I am attempting to clarify.

See? Now I clicked on the up button. I was just jokin' anyway.

You're talking about me? Fine, I'm not gonna click on your up botton. :) I didnt know what I was talking about then but I learned a lot - talking about what you think you know is a great way to learn more. (and you end up getting some hate mail too). :)

I think he means the thread I posted a while back of the B. alfredii grown by Pete Balasky that was given to him by Alfred. Some people were insisting that it was B. sp. windows.

I think he means the thread I posted a while back of the B. alfredii grown by Pete Balasky that was given to him by Alfred. Some people were insisting that it was B. sp. windows.

That's the one. I was one of the folks suggesting the palms looked like B.sp 'windows'.

The reputation system is a joke in my book. We have had people actually use other usernames to give themselves reputation points. Can you believe it?

The reputation system is a joke in my book. We have had people actually use other usernames to give themselves reputation points. Can you believe it?

Dang it! You caught me Len! :)

Easy, just post a few thousand times over a few years.

Wow, I wish I had followed this thread but I was too much of a nub at the time to know to do just that thing! This really brightened my day as well as clarified many points about the forum and life in general for me. Thanks guys!

Axel...gave you a up point for explaining that you could give someone up points if you found there thread to be informative or entertaining.....never knew that...lol, that's pretty cool.

I see they don't have down point arrows....probably a good thing knowing the mood around here on occasion.

I did as well; this is a really entertaining thread!

There is a rank, and there is a reputation.

If I remember everything correctly - your rank begins at "seed" and progresses through "seedling" to "juvenile" etc. on to "trunking," "flowering." and finally to "setting seed" at which time you are allowed to change your own Title (Forum Member, IPS Member, etc.). This is determined by the number of posts, and I think you become a fully grown palm that is setting seed at 5,000 posts. (I'm too lazy to confirm all those settings at the moment - but that is close enough for government work).

Reputation is determined by the green up arrow in every post that other can users can bestow on you base upon their opinions of your comments and post. Sort of like the FaceBook "Like" feature.

But it should be noted that neither a high rank or reputation means that person knows anymore about anything than anyone else. :)

This is all very true, it is still pretty cool and entertaining though. :)

I am here to confirm what Dean said in post #18... I'm only here for the points.....

I'm like Schultzie... "I know nothing!"

:innocent:

You guys are killing me! I think that I understand the system now. Well I don't think that I will ever catch up with any of you on here point wise. I think that I have like three now and I was very lucky to get those. :)

You guys are killing me! I think that I understand the system now. Well I don't think that I will ever catch up with any of you on here point wise. I think that I have like three now and I was very lucky to get those. :)

Now you have 4.

Thank you Keith; you are a good man. I hope that all your palms are doing well after the freeze. Take care man.

Bathe as little as possible.

Bathe as little as possible.

... or bathe in P theophrasti's pollen!

If I had P theophrasti pollen, I would bath roebelleni in it as well and produce a killer hybrid! lol

If I had P theophrasti pollen, I would bath roebelleni in it as well and produce a killer hybrid! lol

post-6141-0-19789800-1393571724_thumb.jp

It appears you have done so, I applaud you sir! Do you have anymore of them? I have been trying to find one that is really awesome man!

Another 28 little 'bath ducks'!

If you have any extra let me know, I have always wondered why no one attempts to cross phoenix more frequently. They are all beautiful palms.

On 2/25/2014, 12:20:22, BS Man about Palms said:

I am here to confirm what Dean said in post #18... I'm only here for the points.....

I'm like Schultzie... "I know nothing!"

:innocent:

Reputation, ranking really means nothing. No matter what the reputation or rank - you can rally to the stumphead classification rather quickly. Unreasonable stubbornness and foul language can make that happen.

Schultz was a philosopher and knew how to get along with others. We have some Klinks here.

I wonder if there's a "bumphead" classification?  :mrlooney:

Edited by Pando

On 11/17/2015, 12:21:46, Pando said:

I wonder if there's a "bumphead" classification?  :mrlooney:

Hmmmmm, just curious what would be the prerequisites for such a classification?