IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aftermath of the Cold/Pimp Slap (Pictures)

smithgn

Hey everybody, I believe the worst is over for us in the southeast. Although, I did hear about another cold wave coming later on this week, but it shouldn't be as bad as what we've had.

In mid January my CIDP got slight to moderate damage from high winds and consistent nighttime lows of below 20 degrees. My CIDP was protected previous to this cold snap with an application of Freeze Pruf (8-12 hours before below the impending freezing temperatures), and a double layer of Frost blankets. The lowest it got down to in my yard was 11 degrees according to an outdoor thermometer I had. My Sabal minor had basically no damage (unprotected) except for a tad browning at the tips of the fronds.

And then came the recent barrage of snow. It came in two waves. The first wave came in late January. I used the same protection principles as before for my CIDP and no protection for my Sabal minor. After this my CIDP was looking pretty rough, very little green on the upper inside of the fronds and my Sabal minor showed some damage to the lower, older fronds at the bottom.

This last episode with the snow, last week, just plain sucked. I covered my CIDP and the weight of the snow and frost on the blanket weighed down on the tree. No precipitation got down to the roots and my meat thermometer I placed in the ground at the roots never got below the upper 30's (outside temperature was in the low 30's and upper 20's). My Sabal minor was weight down with frost one night as the entire plant was drooping. Didn't get a chance to take a picture but I knew it was going to do some damage. Anyway, here's the carnage and does anyone think there's any way my CIDP will come back this summer? There is still some green left on the trunk and barely some on the inside of the fronds. How about my Sabal minor? It looks like it has gotten worse over the last few days and is deteriorating. Any observations? Tips? Advice?

015_zpsc34b3c24.jpg

Here's a picture of some remaining green on the inside of the fronds, nearest to the trunk:

017_zpsf519a232.jpg

Another:

016_zps349ee4fb.jpg

Here are some from my Sabal Minor:

010_zpsb94f5192.jpg

Recycling and trash day, disregard that lol

009_zps6cfe9849.jpg

This is what intrigues me, is this frost damage?

014_zpsdc659660.jpg

Edited by smithgn

I find it odd that Sabal minor would get so much damage in your area, it probably had to do with it being relatively new. How did the S. palmetto fare around there?

Tug the central spear of your CIDP to see if it comes loose. If it does, pour lots of peroxide down it.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I think your main problem may have been freeze-pruf, I've heard anecdotal evidence of it causing palms to be less hardy. No way sabal minor should be damaged at all by those temps...it's native to Oklahoma and sees near 0 F in habitat. How long had it been in the ground before winter?

I used wilt pruf anti-desiccant on my potted palms and they're either dead or heavily damaged. Worked like a charm on my camellia sinensis though. I really think those products are best for evergreen shrubs in cold climates to keep them from getting leaf burn by drying winds, not to protect palms.

The CIDP may grow back, large ones can recover from complete defoliation rather quickly but i dont know about palms your size. Check the spear regularly as mentioned and peroxide it if it pulls out. I'd peroxide it even if the spear doesn't pull, if you want to save it that is. You may be better off just replanting with a new one in spring

Spear pull or no Spear pull will tell you what is going on, even though it is possible not to have a spear pull, yet still have rot. If the spear doesn't pull, mark the growing point to see if any growth with the return of hot weather. If the spear pulls you need to make the decision whether to leave the moisture trapping hole or to cut away trunk to clean tissue. Experiments are underway right now on a few different species using the cutting method.....see

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/40653-palm-surgery-need-photos/

Personally, I have had more luck with surgery. I have not had much luck with leaving the hole and just treating with anti fungal or peroxide. I will be posting more pictures of additional species undergoing the procedure.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Your Sabal Minor is actually a Sabal Palmetto in my opinion. Sabal minor doesn't get damage like that at those temps, but palmetto does. Also, the petioles are tall and at this size, minor would have short petioles. As far as the CIDP goes, it may survive but I'm not optimistic about it.

You should try Trachycarpus, Rhapidophyllum or Minor in your area for full proof palmyness. Good luck :)

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Zeeth- I was pretty surprised at the damage on my S. minor, also. Someone else on the forum previously said it and ArchAngel said it now, but they seem to think its a sabal palmetto. My "S. minor" has been in the ground since early August of last year. Every other day I've been inspecting my date palm, no pull from the center spear yet. The mature Sabal Palmettos in my neighborhood and the immediate area are doing fine, really. In general I'd say they got a little bit of browning at the tips and especially the lower fronds, but I don't think anyone that doesn't have a keen eye for palm trees would even notice.

stevethegator- Funny thing is, I did not use Freeze Pruf on my "S. Minor". Which makes me really start to wonder whether it really is a minor, afterall... I planted it in August of last year. I don't have a whole lot of faith in Freeze Pruf after this episode, doubt I'll buy it again. What would peroxide do? Up until the freeze I doused my CIDP with copper fungicide twice, 10 days apart

Alicehunter-. Never heard of the cutting method. Interesting. No spear pull yet... What exactly is the new spear? I've just been lightly tugging on all of the new fronds coming from the middle of the plant. It's a bit difficult to discern which one is the spear.

ArchAngel- You're right. From everything I read, minors shouldn't get that much damage despite the massive amount of snow and ice we had. It was one of the healthiest palms I had (it was continuing to grow a new spear or two up until early-mid November). You pretty much hit my feeling on my CIDP right on, I'm not too optimistic about it, but I'm still holding out hope. Thanks.