IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Old IPS article on Cold Hardy Palms in Southwest Ohio

WestCoastGal

I happened upon an reprint of a study done by David A. Francko and Sarah L. Wilhoite from Miami University in SW Ohio, on "Cold-Hardy Palms in Southwestern Ohio: Winter Damage, Mortality and Recovery" which was pretty interesting.

The study involved the following palms: Rhapidophyllum hystrix (needle palm), Sabal minor (dwarf palmetto), Sabal minor Louisiana (blue-stem palmetto), Trachycarpus fortunei (Chinese windmill palm), Trachycarpus takil (Himalayan windmill palm), Sabal palmetto (cabbage palm), Sabal etonia (scrub palmetto), Sabal bermudana (Bermuda cabbage palm), Serenoa repens (saw palmetto), Trachycarpus fortunei Norfolk and Greensboro and Livistona chinensis (Chinese fan palm).

The Miami University test areas were Zone 6a - Zone 7b. A number of minimal protection techniques were employed among the 4 test groups, including using C9 lights and wrap.

The study appeared in the IPS Journal, V. 46, #1 "Palms", which should be available to all IPS members online through the IPS site. Worth a read if you are considering any of these palms in your yard.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that article, way back. I wonder what ever became of those various attempts. I am thinking most have perished since then, unless artificially covered and maintained. Of the list, maybe the needle palm and Sabal minor made it, esp. if covered. But man, Ohio gets some pretty nasty freezes so I wouldn't be surprised if those had died too. Any updates?

I just spent the last few days in Ohio. Hard to imagine any palm making it there.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I was up at Miami U a few years ago and I believe many of the Sabal minors were still doing pretty well. I've tried many palms being very close to Oxford where Miami University is located and only Sabal minor will grow in this area. Btw, Oxford is definitely not 6a-7b. More like 5b-6a at best. OTR in Cincinnati, Covington's Riverboat Row and Newport's East Row are the warmest neighborhoods in the area and are legit 7a. The problem with our area is winter moisture in the form of rain. This winter is an extreme anomally vs. the typical. Usually we get lots of rain and temps between 40-25*F each day with cold spells dropping to just below zero maybe once or twice a year.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

I was up at Miami U a few years ago and I believe many of the Sabal minors were still doing pretty well. I've tried many palms being very close to Oxford where Miami University is located and only Sabal minor will grow in this area. Btw, Oxford is definitely not 6a-7b. More like 5b-6a at best. OTR in Cincinnati, Covington's Riverboat Row and Newport's East Row are the warmest neighborhoods in the area and are legit 7a. The problem with our area is winter moisture in the form of rain. This winter is an extreme anomally vs. the typical. Usually we get lots of rain and temps between 40-25*F each day with cold spells dropping to just below zero maybe once or twice a year.

Sabal minor is indestructible IMO. Well, I'm sure it has it's limits but I don't know what they are! -10F? Colder?

Sabal minor is indestructible IMO. Well, I'm sure it has it's limits but I don't know what they are! -10F? Colder?

I did find this 2-page, 2006 article on David Francko and his palms at Miami U in Ohio published in MidWest Living: http://www.midwestliving.com/garden/ideas/palm-trees/ I'd love to see current photos of the originally planted palms still in the ground. Anyone know someone at MU?

I also located this 8/14/11 article published in the Columbus Dispatch about two half-brothers who were inspired by Francko to grow palms in Grove City, OH: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/home_and_garden/2011/08/14/tough-tropicals.html Nothing like standing out in your neighborhood! Be sure to click thru the photos of their yard.

The article says that (back in 2011) many of the original Francko Miami U palms were still alive 13 years later.

Francko co-authored an article in Horticultural Science in 5/10 "Assessment on Freezing Injury in Palm Species by Chlorophyll Flourescence" that some may find an interesting read: http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/45/5/845.full.pdf

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

While certainly not the most glamourous palm, I do hold Sabal minor up as the most resilient and adaptive palm on the planet.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Here, here, I will second that motion! They are extremely hardy and will survive in the most diverse environments.