IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alicehunter2000

Tabebuia umbellata will be severely damaged below about 23-24F. Below 20F will pretty much kill it to the roots

Caesalpinia mexicana- low 20sF kill it to the ground in FL

Tipuana tipu probably will be killed down below around 20-22F

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is the third cull.........

Mesquite varieties (anybody have any suggestions?)

Lithocarpus henryi

Castanopsis cuspidata 7a

Elaeocarpus decipiens 8b

Magnolia insignis (Syn. Manglietia insignis) 7a

Neolitsea sericea 8b/9a

Pittosporum eugeniodes 8b/9a

Schima wallichii 8b

Will definitely grow Eucalyptus cinerea outside the fence as part of my north wind break. Will mix with Magnolia grandiflora for a interesting contrast. It is also commonly sold here and looks great in my area.

Would like to try these as die back plants that are root hardy but never achieve ultimate size.

Caesalpinia mexicana

Tabebuia umbellata

Tipuana tipu

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

You should add some of the magnolias to that list. There are some quite cold hard and beautiful (and evergreen!) ones from China. Most of them used to be classified as manglietia or michelia. I have a few and I like them, they have very interesting leaves, still waiting for flowers though!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Krishna, I kind of narrowed it down to Magnolia insignis because of its non-white flower. I have planted 4 M. grandiflora just to the north of me on the other side of the fence. They and the silver dollar eucalyptus will be my main backdrop and will be allowed to come over the top of the fence toward the yard. The blue and dark green should be an interesting combination of color and texture. Magnolia's cast such a dense shade that I got to be careful not to cut off too much light. Some of the above trees are also pretty dense and I may re-visit other eucalyptus species (maybe a green species) to get high canopy without too much shade. I worry about the brittle nature of eucalyptus in strong winds however.

As is usual, it seems the most beautiful and interesting trees are outside my zone.....it figures

Eucalyptus are back on the list: Any Aussies are welcome to comment on these species.

Eucalyptus camphora

Eucalyptus neglecta

Eucalyptus rodwayi

Eucalyptus stellulata

Culled a couple of more things.....

Magnolia insignis

Lithocarpus henryi
Castanopsis cuspidata

Neolitsea sericea

Pittosporum eugeniodes

Already have several citrus varieties and will not neccesarily look to them to provide tall canopy.

The list gets smaller...getting more difficult to choose.....thoughts...anyone?

Eucalyptus camphora

Eucalyptus neglecta

Eucalyptus rodwayi

Eucalyptus stellulata

Magnolia insignis

Lithocarpus henryi

Neolitsea sericea

Looks like you made some good choices!

Next issue will be be finding all of them. The Eucs you can grow from seeds or mail order seedlings because they grow so fast. Lithocarpus henryi is seen ocassionally in the nursery trade, but the only one I know of in Atlanta is at the Botanical Gardens. Shame, because it's REALLY hardy and tropical looking.

Steve, that is the problem, I can't grow them all, my yard is only 20 x 110 ft.. As much as I would like to plant some really big cool stuff, I really need to limit the eventual size to below 30ft. tall and 25 ft. wide approx.. I need to choose only 2 of the following....neglecta may get too big...but it is actually one that I think would grow reasonably well in the Southeast, so I didn't remove it from the list. Really need some people to chime in that have grown or seen any of these trees and can tell me their pro's and con's....

Eucalyptus camphora (10m in height)

Eucalyptus neglecta (20m in height)

Eucalyptus stellulata (15m in height)

Magnolia insignis (10m in height)

Lithocarpus henryi (10m in height)

Neolitsea sericea (10m in height)

A new one...Eucalyptus niphophila is better for my yard size (normally around 8m) but may be too slow growing?

Neolitsea sericea is a great tree ! But it is smaller and not much of a canopy tree for many many years.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Another to consider, Ilex rotunda, the Kurogane Holly. It has shiny glossy leaves that have no spines. It closely resembles a Ficus and it is very fast growing. I think this one looks tropical.

Another is Ilex latifolia, Lusterleaf Holly. It has the largest leaves of any Ilex. They look like magnolia leaves, they have very dark green and shiny.

Ilex rotunda

a480.jpg

Ilex latifolia

6f08.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ilex rotunda looks nice. I'm starting to realize that just finding some of these plants for sale may be problematic. Eric, will Eucalyptus trees suck up all the water and nutrients from my palms? I was reading another thread that said as much.

If Eucalyptus camphora, Eucalyptus neglecta, Eucalyptus stellulata are going to outcompete my other plants and Neolitsea sericea is too slow and Lithocarpus henryi can't be found for sale (not sure how fast this one grows either)all I'm left with is Magnolia insignis and Ilex rotunda but neither can be found of any size.......

This sucks....what am I left with...what's available...may have to go back to the original list and just look to see what is actually available.

Perhaps a trip to a good nursery/tree farm is in order? It's easy to talk in the abstract about what plant species would fit what you're looking for, but a much harder task to acquire them. It's also easy for us plant people to look to the "best" species without regard to practicality/profitability for the commercial growers.

I'd recommend a scouting mission to a few nurseries that carry more than the garden variety. You'll be able to see what they have in the sizes you're looking for, and if they don't have what you want they may be able to get it.

I really don't think you are super limited by your climate, you can probably grow more species, including a lot of warm temperate/subtropical species that just won't tolerate the true tropics. Have you ever explored Monrovia's website? There's a local nursery chain here in Atlanta that carries their products and they have a lot of interesting plants, especially hardy broad-leaf evergreens and tropical looking varieties of more temperate plants, including a lot of the Asian magnolia species.The plus side of Monrovia is that any nursery which carries their products can easily order you anything from the product line in their next shipment.

Sorry, the above was a phone post and I missed the editing window. What I meant to say was, you can probably grow more tree species than areas further south because many plants, even tropical/subtropical ones require the cooler weather and the temperate ones require actual "winter" to go dormant.

Also, even the "garden variety" may turn up something you like, and it may be cheap, available in large sizes, etc.

I'm not sure of sandy soil, salt, hurricane wind, or alkalinity tolerance of all of these suggestions.

I think Magnolia virginiana would be a good choice even though it might be common in your area. I've come to appreciate the native plants in each region because they do well with little care, allowing more time for needier plants and other things. Sweetbay is a great one. It grows fast for me, has lush leaves, and is fragrant. Not as dense and shady as M. grandiflora, easier to grow under.

I'm a big fan of fragrant plants so would gravitate to citrus, magnolias/michelias, osmanthus, and pittosporum.

The magnolias/michelias would be my first choices as climates of southeast China and US are so similar. I think a michelia maudiae( at Leu) would be a nice earlier blooming, fragrant complement to summer blooming magnolias. Has a neat common name too: "smiling forest lily tree". Here's Leu's m. macclurei. The mangliettia insignis also seems like a great choice.

Grapefruit and pummelo are the largest citrus, are reasonably fast, fragrant, and tasty. Big canopy sized ones in Sacramento's deep, valley soil. You probably have local, Gulf Coast hardy varieties, but 'Oroblanco' and 'Melogold' are known as the hardiest in California. Citrus ichangensis will get large enough, but it's even tastier hybrid with a mandarin, the 'Sudachi", is shrubbier. Be sure to get citrus on full size rootstock not semi-dwarf.

I'm uncertain about a lot of the eucalyptus. I think the best choice might be E. neglecta (Omeo Gum) which is nice sized, fast, and is proven to succeed in the southeast. I remember accounts of it prospering in Alabama. I think Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh has trialed some species. I like the look of E. camphora too. Try Windmill Outback Nursery (australiaplants.com) in Virgiinia for Eucs. They have 250 species.

I really like Lithocarpus henryii too, lush and glossy. I think forestfarm has had them. I like also the Eriobotrya deflexa and 'Coppertone' for the red flushed new leaves over green.

It seems like there should be some sort of evergreen leguminous trees for your area but the details get tricky. Caesalpinias like mexicana, and cacalaco, tend to go deciduous below 26ºF. C. gillesii is more evergreen but would rather be a shrub than tree. Most mesquites are deciduous or prefer drier climates. Maybe the evergreen selection of Chilean Mesquite common in Arizona would work?? There are probably suitable acacias but it's arduous sorting through them all and might be too brittle for winds??

Lasty, while not canopy, nothing compares to camelias for winter color in our latitudes.

More possible sources : camforest.com (NC) , woodlanders.net (Aiken SC) , cistus.com (OR) , pirocheplants.com (BC), Tallahassee Nursery in Tallahassee, forestfarm.com (OR), Plant sales at botanical gardens such as Leu might pan out. Monrovia has a few of the Michelias.

Here's a previous topic on Tropical-esque Trees.

Thats the problem is availabity, especially larger landscape sizes.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

David-- Eucalyptus niphophila is doubtful. Cold-tolerant, but not humidity/wet tolerant.

Same with Pittosporum eugenioides.

Otherwise, will defer to others' suggestions here.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Something you should consider when planting canopy trees. You want a tree that makes deep roots and isn't a surface feeder. My California live oak and loquats are ideal for this. However, avocados are terrible. I also use pittosporum undulatum and silk floss trees, but they're not hardy to 9a. I also grow Brachychiton acerifolius for canopy but these are 9b/10a trees, only hardy to 25F.

I have some live oak and a magnolia grandiflora for my evergreen canopy trees. the live oak are nice and not so slow, the magnolias are gorgeous with dinner plate sized fragrant white flowers in late spring(do not lime or dolomite them, they like slightly acid soil). I would be very wary of eucalyptus, many species have very invasive root systems, I have seen them lift house foundations, very damaging to any hardscape. Eucalyptus grow very fast but needs lots of trimming as they cannot support their own weight when they receive significant rainwater or irrigation. they will break large branches or even fall over if not trimmed 2x a year. Google "eucalyptus and widowmaker", as these can get very large and drop huge branches on you. I had several cold tolerant species in AZ, never will have them again. If you do decide to plant one, keep it at least 15' from hardscape and watch your palms as they have been known to strangle and suck water from palm root systems in california.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I forgot to mention, macadamia are fantastic canopy trees, thick, dense evergreen canopy that produce delicious edible nuts and amazingly fragrant and pretty blooms. I am about to prune the lower branches off mine to grow palms underneath.

I also have a rose apple tree under which I grow some licuala and chamadorea, those are also quite nice, and the foliage is real thick and evergreen.

Thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. Hopefully it will be a good list of what can be grown in these zones. Today I painstakingly went through 45 pages of 37 trees per page on one of the box stores websites. I found quite a few trees that I can purchase in larger, medium and smaller sizes. I love a lot of the trees that everyone is suggesting, but I don't want to go through the hassle of purchasing seeds or seedlings and waiting years before canopy is formed. One other positive thing about purchasing locally is that the trees are guaranteed for a year and easy to order through the store. Anyway here is the full list:

Cercidium praecox

Acacia stenophylla

Rhus lancea

Acacia salicina

Olea europaea

Elaeocarpus decipiens

Schinus molle

Gleditsia triacanthos var. inermis 'skycole'

Rolinia ambigua (Purple Robe)

Tupidanthus calyptratus

Styrax japonica (deciduous?)

Prosopis glandulosa

Tipuana tipu

Podocarpus henkelii

Podocarpus gracilior

Albizia julibrissin (Summer Chocolate)

Agonis flexuosa 'Afterdark'

Cupaniopsis anacardioides

Melia azedarach

Maytenus boaria

Salix matsudana

Chilopsis linearis

Morus alba

Cassia bicapsularis (small ?)

Guess its back to the culling process........any thoughts on these species.

David,

First 3 are great but not sure how they would handle the summer humidity here. Cercidium praecox is a slow grower. FYI, stay away from Jerusalem Thorn. weedy, messy, and spiny.

Schinus molle, the "California" cousin to the obnoxious Brazilian Pepper. Good tree but is messy and like Eucs, produces a plant hindering chemical below it. Grew up around tons of these trees.

Not sure how well Gleditsia (Honey locust) would do in the heat/humidity.. A Great tree in colder areas though. Deciduous.

"Purple Robe" Locust isn't as invasive as Black Locust can be. Will defoliate in the cold though, at least it did back in San Jose in the winter. Flowers are nice, very little seed pods on trees I worked around.

"Summer Chocolate" Mimosa will form seed like the normal Silk tree.. Smaller trees can be killed to the ground in a good freeze.

Melia azedarach, aka China Berry.. Messy and invasive.. Seed will sprout and be spread everywhere. Not sure why these are still allowed to be sold anywhere. Same with Carrotwood (Cupaniopsis anacardioides) Both are basically weed trees.

Prosopis glandulosa (Honey Mesquite) Probably the best of the Mesquites to try. Another species id seen suggested, Argentine mesquite is messy, more so than this species. Very fast grower, especially when provided summer water.. Have had seedlings go from 3" to 31/2 foot tall in les than a year. Friends I had given a 10" seedling to in Dec.'12 told me the same specimen was now approaching 8-9' by November of last year. Interestingly, some of the seedlings id started were thornless and grew real fast while others retain varying degrees of spiny-ness and are slower. Can sucker but is easily trained.

White Mulberry, Morus Alba.. Good tree but deciduous in winter. Often seen horribly Pollarded in CA. Never seen these fruit.

Careful with Salix (Willows) All species love water and will take what they aren't provided.

Tipuana would probably do well except during really bad winters. Fast, great summer shade, and the flowers add a nice touch. Goes through an "Ugly Duckling" stage before filling out.

Like the first 3 trees you listed, not sure Chilopsis will tolerate our summer Humidity. Agonis are awesome, "After dark" especially.. Another species im not sure would like the Humidity though.

Cassia bicapsularis is more of a bush than a tree.. Mex. Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia mexicana ) would be a better/ taller choice, even if it does freeze back in really bad winters until it has gained some age. Pretty fast growing. Another species I can get to around 3' tall in about 15 months from seed. Im sure someone here in FL would be able to locate a taller/ more established specimen for you. Seen these at local Lowe's in the past.

One species id forgot to mention that might.. work, and would be worth research, Tristania or Water Gum. Thinking ive seen them offered here in the past. Looks similar to Crepe myrtle but is evergreen with yellow flowers in the Summer. Not messy and non invasive. If you can find stuff like Cerdidium, and Rhus, X box store should be able to locate Tristania on their availability lists.

Podocarpus should be good there. never any frost below a 45' tree that grew over the fence of my grandparents house.

-Nathan-

Thanks Nathan....using your advice...this is where I'm at....

Acacia stenophylla (not Jerusalem Thorn...that is Parkinsonia aculeata) is a moderate to fast growing, long-lived, nitrogen-fixing tree. It is considered extremely salt tolerant. Acacia stenophylla can be used as a shelterbelt and windbreak species.

Acacia salicina ....similar to stenophylla

Elaeocarpus decipiens...Japanese Blueberry pyramid shape

Tupidanthus calyptratus.....love this tree!...not sure about cold hardiness...various reports on search

Prosopis glandulosa.....Honey Mesquite/fast grower

Podocarpus henkelii.....Beautiful large tree..need female to avoid pollen allergies

Agonis flexuosa 'Afterdark'.......awesome, but not sure about humidity or cold hardiness

Maytenus boaria...nice looking tree that sends up lots of suckers and not sure about heat and humidity.

Tipuana tipu.......deciduous but might get one anyway...had it at the old house and it was FAST!

Albizia julibrissin (Summer Chocolate).....deciduous...may make me hated by neighbors

Chilopsis is deciduous as well.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. Hopefully it will be a good list of what can be grown in these zones. Today I painstakingly went through 45 pages of 37 trees per page on one of the box stores websites. I found quite a few trees that I can purchase in larger, medium and smaller sizes. I love a lot of the trees that everyone is suggesting, but I don't want to go through the hassle of purchasing seeds or seedlings and waiting years before canopy is formed. One other positive thing about purchasing locally is that the trees are guaranteed for a year and easy to order through the store. Anyway here is the full list:

Cercidium praecox

Acacia stenophylla

Rhus lancea

Acacia salicina

Olea europaea

Elaeocarpus decipiens

Schinus molle

Gleditsia triacanthos var. inermis 'skycole'

Rolinia ambigua (Purple Robe)

Tupidanthus calyptratus

Styrax japonica (deciduous?)

Prosopis glandulosa

Tipuana tipu

Podocarpus henkelii

Podocarpus gracilior

Albizia julibrissin (Summer Chocolate)

Agonis flexuosa 'Afterdark'

Cupaniopsis anacardioides

Melia azedarach

Maytenus boaria

Salix matsudana

Chilopsis linearis

Morus alba

Cassia bicapsularis (small ?)

Guess its back to the culling process........any thoughts on these species.

After this winter, and having ample room I am gong to be exploring quite a few of these. Are there any you would put back on the final list if you had "lots" of room?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks Nathan....using your advice...this is where I'm at....

Acacia stenophylla (not Jerusalem Thorn...that is Parkinsonia aculeata) is a moderate to fast growing, long-lived, nitrogen-fixing tree. It is considered extremely salt tolerant. Acacia stenophylla can be used as a shelterbelt and windbreak species.

Acacia salicina ....similar to stenophylla

Elaeocarpus decipiens...Japanese Blueberry pyramid shape

Tupidanthus calyptratus.....love this tree!...not sure about cold hardiness...various reports on search

Prosopis glandulosa.....Honey Mesquite/fast grower

Podocarpus henkelii

Podocarpus gracilior

Agonis flexuosa 'Afterdark'.......awesome, but not sure about humidity

Maytenus boaria

Chilopsis linearis

Caesalpinia mexicana.....not available from box store list

Tipuana tipu.......deciduous

Albizia julibrissin (Summer Chocolate).....deciduous

Check on Tristania availbility

Parkinsonia is deciduous, has limited canopy in summer, and will even lose its leaves during heavy rainfall periods. It really wants to be somplace like Arizona, but tolerates it here. I have 3 of them.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

David,

Not a problem.. If you can find A. stenophylla and/or salicina, give it a try. Saw many great specimens of stenophylla in Phoenix so heat shouldn't be an issue.. Thinking I read that it tolerates flooding in it's native habitat as well.. Working with collected seed to trial atm.

Elaeocarpus (Japanese Blueberry) are awesome trees, also a should-pursue if they are available. It and Podocarpus h. would add some great foliage textures in the garden.

Forgot about Tupidanthus aka Schefflera pueckleri.. also seen various info on ultimate cold hardiness. Is supposed to be a really nice looking smallish tree.

Surprised C. Mexicana isn't on any lists.. maybe it is only seasonally avail??.. in any event, got plenty of seed.

List looks good so far, let us know what makes the final cut and definitely check into Tristania/Tristaniposis..

Fyi, if you do add a Mesquite somewhere on the property, pods are edible and make a really healthy, sweet flour when ground. Even without that, you will also always have a supply of wood for BBQs.

Keith, how far inland from the Gulf/Delta are you?

-Nathan-

This is a great thread! Here is my USD 0.02:

I can recommend the following from personal experience:

• Acacia/Vachellia farnesiana is IMO more xeric-looking than tropical-looking, but it’s tough, fast, and not too tall or dense.
  • Acacia salicina and A. stenophylla are fast and about the right size. Not sure how much they will protect from frost, since the upright branching and hanging phyllodes make for a pretty thin canopy. I could be wrong though, I've never had a canopy-sized one. Again, these don’t really look ‘tropical’ to me.
  • I definitely recommend Caesalpinia mexicana: it will never be a large tree, but grows fast and recovers quickly from freeze damage. Died back to larger branches in Jan 2010, when we got into the teens, but should be hardy and basically evergreen for you 90% of winters. Very common here so I’m surprised you are having trouble finding them for sale.
  • Grapefruit as mentioned gets pretty large and the vegetative parts are damaged in only our toughest 8b winters. My 20’ tree shows no damage so far this winter, even though the Washingtonias have some bronzed leaves.
  • Ehretia anacua isn’t obviously tropical-looking but it’s very tough and about the right size. Available from many nurseries in South TX.
  • Ilex pedunculosa looks surprisingly like Ficus benjamina for a hardy tree, but I have no idea how it will do in your heat (I grew it in Boston). It’s small; all the ones I’ve seen in the northeast max out in the 15-25’ range.
  • Magnolia virginiana var. australis: at least in NY and TX this one makes a pretty open canopy, not like M. grandiflora.
  • Quercus myrsinifolia: a smaller oak, very hardy, and something about the smooth bark and drooping leaves make it look lush and tropical to me. Same goes for many other Quercus/Cyclobalanopsis spp., Castanopsis spp., and Asian Lithocarpus like L. edulis and L. henryi. Of these though Q. myrsinifolia will probably be the easiest to source.
  • Quercus rysophylla: the new red foliage makes this one look tropical to me as well.
  • Sideroxylon celastrinum should do very well for you as a windbreak (too small and dense for a real canopy); S. lanuginosum is only semi-evergreen for me but also very tough.
  • Taxodium mucronatum is evergreen, even in Austin, but it gets BIG.
  • You’ve already got Eriobotrya japonica and Magnolia grandiflora, which would be my first two suggestions.

I don't have as much experience with the following, but I think they might do well for you if you can source them.

• Acacia fimbriata: small, the green phyllodes look more tropical than other acacias mentioned.
  • Blepharocalyx salicifolius: small, hardy at least to 9a.
  • Eucalyptus amplifolia: big, and same caveats about Eucalyptus still apply, but seems to do well in north FL. To me it looks more tropical, especially with the large juvenile leaves, than most other eucalyptus. Check this out: https://www.facilities.fsu.edu/Grounds/hardy_eucalyptus.php
  • Gordonia lasianthus: might be too narrow for effective frost protection, but tropical-looking and native. Might be thirsty. Schima is the Asian version.
  • Nothaphoebe cavalieri: listed as a small tree in the online sources I've found, but the Mercer Arboretum in Houston has 30-40' trees that don't seem that old. Might be a good alternative to Cinnamomum or Persea.
  • Osmanthus americanus: another small native that looks generically tropical.
  • Quercus sect. Lobatae subsect. Racemiflorae (i.e. Q. tarahumara and friends): no idea where you'd source these, or if they'd tolerate your humidity, but awesome and supposedly z9a hardy.

Seems like you already are on to this, but I agree that the following aren't really what you’re looking for:

• I would strongly caution against species that are allelopathic or self-seed prodigiously, including Cinnamomum, Eucalyptus, Melia, etc.
  • I don't personally have experience with Cupaniopsis or Rhus lancea or Schinus, but invasive Anacardiaceae sounds like a can of worms you wouldn't want to open.
  • Albizia, Chilopsis, Gleditsia, Melia, Morus, Prosopis glandulosa, Robinia, Salix, and Styrax will all be totally deciduous for you, so not much help for frost protection. From my experience in Texas, x Chitalpa tashkentensis is more tolerant of humidity and goes deciduous later in fall than Chilopsis linearis.
  • I don't think Tupidanthus calyptratus is a viable canopy tree in z9a. You might want to look into some of the other Araliaceae though.
  • Olea is not going to be a canopy tree for you in any remotely reasonable timeframe, even if it tolerates your humidity.

Hope this helps. I'd be interested to hear what other people's experience with these species is.

Edited by radicalis
  • Like 1

Radicalis, good additional info.

I'll tell ya, I will be the first in line to purchase seeds from Quercus tarahumara should they show up anywhere for sale, looks like an awesome Oak to have in any collection. Being native to the mountainous areas of Mexico adjacent to/above Alamos or Hermosillo, it has potential to handle some cold as well as extra humidity. Tucson has a couple specimens which seem to be doing well there. Interesting read? U of A's listing for trees in their Arboretum.. Couldn't believe some of the trees they have in their collection.

-Nathan-

Does a canopy is still very effective in case of advective freeze?

About Eucalyptus, I grown some Trachycarpus martianus under shade of Eucalyptus cinerea. But large amount of water needed. Some grower here refer Cinnanorum is a good shade tree. But I have also a caution for this genus.

Sincerely.

Jean-Michel

Finally came to a decision. I am opting for light and airy canopy so that the plants below can benefit from frost protection but yet still get adequate sunlight.

Acacia stenophylla

post-97-0-24779400-1392620638_thumb.jpg

Prosopis glandulosa.....Honey Mesquite

post-97-0-76108100-1392620684_thumb.jpg

I will also get one of these to serve more as a wind and sound block.

Podocarpus henkelii........female

post-97-0-16880100-1392620698_thumb.jpg

These are 2 that I would also like to have...even though I know they will be cut back from the cold from time to time...

Tupidanthus calyptratus

post-97-0-77157000-1392620918_thumb.jpg

Tipuana tipu

post-97-0-57044700-1392620952_thumb.jpg

Acacia stenophylla is a really cool tree. But you might one to try a smaller one first as an experiment. I have tried about a dozen here and seen others planted. They grow well 1-2 years then just croak. I think it is too humid and wet here in the summer.

Tupidanthus freezes back below about 27-28F.

Podocarpus henkelii would be worth a try. I think it is hardy into the low 20s maybe lower. Podocarpus elongatus is another to consider.

Podocarpus elongatus

5ace.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Quercus myrsinifolia is a great Asian evergreen oak. It has small glossy green leaves and is hardy into zone 7.

img_5368.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

According to "Gardening in the Southeast" website very good site BTW

http://southeastgarden.com/rhus.html

Honey Mesquite "Prosopis glandulosa" Does not do well here. Elaeocarpus decipiens (Blueberry tree) may be a better choice.

Eric, that is a nice looking oak but I kind of decided that I will just purchase something here that is readily availablefrom the box store. BTW a friend of mine just gave me several seedlings of the cold hardy Arenga sp. you and I had talked about. So if possible I would be interested in something else you might have available. Even some of the dicots mentioned here. Tipuanu tipu etc...Thanks..... Can't wait to see how that Borasus flab. does in the ground. Mine spear pulled after our brutal winter up here.

David,
Came across the site over the weekend. Info regarding P. glandulosa. Regardless of their thoughts, it will be interesting to see how my seedlings do. Also have P. velutina, which was sited in the article to do better, started for trial.

Eric,
Interesting observations regarding Acacia stenophylla considering i've read it is a species which grows along river banks which can flood. Wonder if soil has something to do with success/demise of specimens trialed here.

-Nathan-

Really hard to find out info about this species in Florida. Keep us updated on how they do here.

David,

Agreed.. and it is only one of several species where extensive info regarding performance/adaptability/hardiness at a local/regional level seems to be/is lacking or far between. In any event, lots of notes on how the trial stuff progresses to come.

-Nathan-

David,

Came across the site over the weekend. Info regarding P. glandulosa. Regardless of their thoughts, it will be interesting to see how my seedlings do. Also have P. velutina, which was sited in the article to do better, started for trial.

Eric,

Interesting observations regarding Acacia stenophylla considering i've read it is a species which grows along river banks which can flood. Wonder if soil has something to do with success/demise of specimens trialed here.

-Nathan-

Acacia stenophylla is native to more inland, drier regions of Australia. So they probably aren't tolerant of the humidity and wet feet. Plus, with our high summer rainfall and humidity the soil here just teems with fungal organisms. Maybe seed from different native locations would have different results.

Here at Leu Gardens I have grown them from seed, either collected off trees in Tucson, AZ or ordered off the internet. I have also tried a bigger 7 gal. specimen from Monrovia. They all grew the same, thrived for 1-2 years then quickly croak. Even a couple trees planted in our Arid Garden that get no irrigation, only rainfall. About 10 years ago I saw some planted at some of the local theme parks but they all croaked too. I have seen a couple local garden centers that carry Monrovia stock get them in. The few I saw in local landscapes all have died.

Found this map of Australia with native locales for Acacia stenopylla.

post-231-0-40238100-1392817586_thumb.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, that is a nice looking oak but I kind of decided that I will just purchase something here that is readily availablefrom the box store. BTW a friend of mine just gave me several seedlings of the cold hardy Arenga sp. you and I had talked about. So if possible I would be interested in something else you might have available. Even some of the dicots mentioned here. Tipuanu tipu etc...Thanks..... Can't wait to see how that Borasus flab. does in the ground. Mine spear pulled after our brutal winter up here.

OK, I will see what we have. I know there are some Elaeocarpus seedlings in the nursery. Not sure what else. We have a couple flowering size Tipus. I will watch for seed when they flower.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks....well I guess I can scratch the Acacia off my list...dang, didn't know it would be so hard to find something. Guess that is why I like palms. Some grow fast, are evergreen, look tropical, and are predictable in their habits. Some have good wind tolorance, are salt tolorant, like sandy soil and don't have destructive root systems for the most part. Palms are the shiz.. :greenthumb:..shold have planted even more big ones for canopy....but that darn money thing got in the way.