IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Daemonorops jenkinsiana- a spiny, climbing Rattan Palm

Eric in Orlando

Daemonorops jenkinsiana is a type of Rattan Palm native from northeastern India to SE Asia, southern China and Taiwan where it grows in low mountainous rainforests. It forms thick clumps and the flexible stems get to 6cm in diameter and can climb 70-80 ft into the trees. The canes make are used to make a quality rattan.

This is a spiny spiny spiny palm. The stems, leaf petioles and the undersides of the leaves are armed with sharp spines. In addition the tips of older leaves develop cirrus, a whip-like modification armed with hooked spines. These hook on to surrounding vegetation or tree branches and aid the palm in climbing.

Our biggest specimen has grown about 25ft u tall so far and is climbing a Quercus virginiana. It is also flowering for the first time.

Here is the base of the clump;

img_0708_zps58ac110b.jpg

2 of the vining stems about 25ft up into a tree

img_0719_zps7286fd66.jpg

a zoom-in of one of the tall stems flowering

img_0711_zps98a5ff24.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

closeup of the spines

img_0717_zpsbb0c5780.jpg

img_0716_zps45754c15.jpg

a couple zoom-ins of a cirri, the spiny leaf structure that grabs the nearby vegetation that helps the palm climb

img_0721_zpsfeac88b5.jpg

img_0726_zps6daa2047.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

OhNo. Not happenin here.

I poked my finger just scrollin the phone!

• Like 1

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Very very cool Eric! Takes me back to Thailand.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Great photos Eric, just what I needed for Palmpedia, thanks, Ed

Ed, use whatever of the photos you would like !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wow...that's one spiny palm! Does each leaf end in a cirri?

On our specimens, they only have gotten the cirri once the stems got taller and out of the juvenile phase. None of the younger leaves have it. Which is good. We have a Calamus usiatatus and they get flagella when they are young. They easily hook into skin or clothers and are not easy to remove without ripping.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 4 years later...

I was just looking through photos from my visit to Leu Gardens in November, and couldn't read the sign on this palm.  It's in the "Tropical Stream Garden" area.  I *think* it says Daemonorops Jenkinsiana, and it seems to look in about the same spot as a photo on Palmpedia.  Is this the right plant?  If so, how do they handle the cold at Leu? 

20181121_134515 cropped.jpg

Edited by Merlyn2220

On 1/16/2019 at 11:00 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

I was just looking through photos from my visit to Leu Gardens in November, and couldn't read the sign on this palm.  It's in the "Tropical Stream Garden" area.  I *think* it says Daemonorops Jenkinsiana, and it seems to look in about the same spot as a photo on Palmpedia.  Is this the right plant?  If so, how do they handle the cold at Leu? 

20181121_134515 cropped.jpg

yes, that is Daemonorops jenkinsiana. It is one of the hardier climbers. has tolerated down to 28F with minor damage.

This palm is now known as Calamus jenkinsianus. The genus Daemonorops has recently been placed into Calamus.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a