IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pindo fruiting in northern zones? Any luck?

jfrye01@live.com

Hello all:) I was wondering if those of you who grow Butia's up in northern zones have had any luck with them fruiting? I'm a 6b, I was wondering if it's possible...

El_Dorado.gif

Do you mean in the ground or a container? In a container, it should fruit eventually as long as it gets the summer heat and sun it needs. They are not reliably hardy to Zone 7, especially in my WET winters with lots of rain or snow. They do do superbly in tubs, but you would need to protect from hard frost.

Honestly, I think you will be lucky to keep alive. Fruiting, no way. Sorry.

You might enjoy this read.

http://www.bananas.org/f8/6-months-regrowth-butia-capitata-10069.html

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I was planning on building a temporary greenhouse over the palms from about November (When the temperatures start dropping below freezing) to late March, and heating the interior of the greenhouse with Christmas lights on a thermostat...is this practical or am I crazy? :P

El_Dorado.gif

I was planning on building a temporary greenhouse over the palms from about November (When the temperatures start dropping below freezing) to late March, and heating the interior of the greenhouse with Christmas lights on a thermostat...is this practical or am I crazy? :P

Oh, that changes everything. And not at all crazy. Well, no crazier than the rest of us, lol..

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

There were some large fruiting Butia here in Atlanta, I think they had been fruiting for a couple years. They were planted en masse outside a popular Brazilian restaurant. We are technically Zone 7b but had a long run of Zone 8 temps, probably since they were planted.

Anyway, haven't been by there since the big freeze, but I imagine the cold put an end to their fruiting if it didn't just kill them all outright. We got down to around 5F with around 72 hours below 28F, and then 8F with 2" of snow slightly afterward. I doubt the restaurant protected the palms at all but they are in a favorable microclimate.

Long story short, they did fruit here with a long string of zone 8 winters, with daytime temps almost always rising above freezing and a long hot growing season. If you can replicate those conditions with your protection scheme you should be good to go!

Edited by stevethegator

Feeling a little more optimistic now! Thanks for the replies! Here in Kansas, from about June to September, we have highs in the 90s, lows in the 70s, October to December, highs in the 60s-70s to lows in the 40s, January through March, highs in the 20s, 30s, and 40s, and lows in the teens, and April-May, highs in the 60s-80s and lows in the 50s...so I'd definitely keep it under wraps from about October through March...

El_Dorado.gif

Here is the palm in question, last March. Apparently the fruits ripened through the winter, which was relatively mild here.

Second photo is a poor shot of some of the others, most did not have fruit. The place has (had?) around two dozen Butia all that size

post-3209-0-99716100-1391488419_thumb.jp

post-3209-0-47424500-1391488431_thumb.jp

Edited by stevethegator

Yeah they really stand out at that restaurant, I almost couldn't believe it when I saw the place.

Sadly, I'll be very surprised if they survive this winter. If any do survive to fruit again I'd want some of those seeds!

One thing I've heard Butia hates is frozen precip. or any kind of water in the crown during a deep freeze. The drier you can keep yours through the winter the better.

Steve, is RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT! Butia does not deal well with cold wet in the crown...even without the subarctic conditions!

In my zone, the only ones I have had success with in the ground, are Needles, some Sabals, and Trachys. But thus year, the Trachys are gonna take a (non-lethal) hit!

They definitely fruit here. One of the relatively small number (a dozen?) of pinnate palms that does.