IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pindo questions:)

jfrye01@live.com

Alright, going out on a limb (frond?) here:) I am planning on planting two pindos in my yard this spring, despite being told it can't be done in zone 6b...However, for winter, I do plan to construct a small, temporary, sturdy greenhouse from PVC pipe and plastic and place lights on a thermocube inside. I plan to do this for all my palms, even the Trachy and S. Minors...Anyway, I was wondering, where can one buy a pindo palm? I'm wanting one with a small amount of trunk. Also, how many years do they take to fruit? How tall are they usually before they begin fruiting? I can drive to Dallas if need be. I've heard others mention the Dallas Farmer's Market, but I was wondering if anybody has any other ideas? Thanks!

El_Dorado.gif

They can fruit with 1 ft. Of trunk for sure....maybe less.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wow!! Awesome! :)) Now I just need to find some! Crazy I know, but I'm willing to spend several hundred $$$ if I can find a good healthy pindo or two:))

El_Dorado.gif

Don't spend to much...instead of spending so much on gas, why don't you order one from Phil at Jungle Music ...he has some nice silver ones. Shipping is kind of high but probably less than driving south.

Don't spend to much...instead of spending so much on gas, why don't you order one from Phil at Jungle Music ...he has some nice silver ones. Shipping is kind of high but probably less than driving south.

I agree with David, phil has some 5-15 gallon blue butia capitatas that are stunning. these palms don't grow too fast and you will probably be able to protect them for 10 years. Shipping has to be the same or less(125?) than the gas needed in driving to dallas from Kansas round trip. You can visit phils blog in the for sale section.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

That's a good idea...I'll probably do that then. When they get too big for the greenhouse, is there any way to protect them and at least give them a chance? I know, thinking wayyyy into the future, but just wondering....

El_Dorado.gif

Ahhh, the slippery slope into the palm abyss, it all started with a trachy, and now you're already eager to graduate to pindos. Well, guys in Canada do it, so why can't you? See what coconut mike is up to, he goes to great lengths to protect palms every Winter. He's been doing this for over 10 years successfully. He actually provides a service to do this for several folks. In the video below, go to 2:40 and you'll see the pindo in the protection box. Looks like he has foam on the inside of the enclosure.

A lot depends on your own future plans. Do you plan to stay in KS the rest of your life? 5 years? 10? Butias are slow growing, so you should be able to protect them with some kind of shelter and supplemental heat for quite a while. But if/when you leave (school, work, military) who will bother to care for them? If you plan to move on in a few years you may want to keep them potted & take them.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Yeah, I'm in college, and am planning to be for the next 6-7 years...and my mother (God bless her!) not only doesn't want me to move out until I'm done with college, she won't let me:) Also, she is very supportive of my palm hobby:)) However, when I do move out of the house, I do plan to stay in the Wichita area...of course, those plans can change... That's a great idea, dig them up and move them when I move out, unless my mom falls in love with them, in which case, I will return home every winter to protect them:P Awesome vid, Axel...thanks for the share!

Edited by jfrye01@live.com

El_Dorado.gif

You can check plantfinder.com for pindo growers closest to you as a last resort. A healthy pindo with 1' of cleared trunk will grow more than you think if you lay the fertilizer to it and want it to grow quicker than normal. I get about 1' overall growth out of mine in my fields when I fertilize 2x per growing season but I have pretty good soil and conditions also.

When they get too big for the greenhouse, then you can put freeze cloth around the head and burlap the base.

If it doesn't have to be blue you could also consider Butia eriospatha which is a bit hardier and is said to be the fastest in the genus.

This is why I love this community...I learn something new every time I log on! Thanks for the ideas! The problem around here is, we have lots of clay in our soil, however, it is not hard to obtain some good top soil..so that may be what I have to do...dig a large hole and fill it with top soil, then plant the palms in it.

El_Dorado.gif

Don't do that...clay is fine. If you dig a hole and fill with topsoil you will create a "bucket" of sorts in the ground. When it rains the water will remain in your "bucket" and rot the palm roots. Butia is pretty tough, they grow in heavy clay to the north of me with no problems. The pot idea is also not a bad one....they can live many years in a pot.

Before you take a long drive or mail order something like a Butia, check with the managers of your local big boxes stores. Many times they can bring one in for you with their regular plant shipments at a reasonable price.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Don't do that...clay is fine. If you dig a hole and fill with topsoil you will create a "bucket" of sorts in the ground. When it rains the water will remain in your "bucket" and rot the palm roots. Butia is pretty tough, they grow in heavy clay to the north of me with no problems. The pot idea is also not a bad one....they can live many years in a pot.

^This^

Use your soil unless you want a dead palm within a year! Just add mulch on top.

I think Monrovia has direct ship program so you could get one from any local nursery that has an account with them.

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

:happy: Once again, you all have not disappointed me! Thanks for the info! I very much appreciate it!

El_Dorado.gif

Phil also has bluish butia bonetti that never get too big to cover.... probably never get taller than 10-12'.

Tom Blank

If you are thinking of "topsoil" as the bagged black stuff at the Big Box store, put the bag down and step away. Used pure, that stuff turns to heavy sludge when wet. Your palms will suffocate to death. If you must use it, mix just some of it with your native soil.

Meg

Florida

Agree with the posters above that the butia will do just fine in clay based soils. Depending on the amount of clay in your soil, dig out your hole and mix the existing soil with perlite to promote drainage (if anything at all). I have found through growing so many that pindos do great with a good top layer that is heavy in clay.

Our soil isn't extremely clay-ish (sorry, bad grammar:P ), but there is a considerable amount...Question on the Butia bonetti: Do they produce edible fruit? It's not a requirement, I just think it would be neat to have a palm produce edible fruit, main thing for me, however, is the aesthetic quality of the Butia...Thanks everyone!

El_Dorado.gif

Our soil isn't extremely clay-ish (sorry, bad grammar:P ), but there is a considerable amount...Question on the Butia bonetti: Do they produce edible fruit? It's not a requirement, I just think it would be neat to have a palm produce edible fruit, main thing for me, however, is the aesthetic quality of the Butia...Thanks everyone!

I never grew one of these but northern cal palm society has a ref and they are edible fruits...

http://www.palmsnc.org/pages/palm_detail.php?id=82

Phil has some pics of small ones on his blog too...

http://www.junglemusic.net/New%20Plant%20Arrivals/Images4/Butia%20bonnettii%2015g%20(3)%20(480x640).jpg

the blue capitatas are definitely more blue, but this is a palm you probably can always cover and heat in winter...

Tom Blank

I bought all my Butias on eBay. They were small. Not a problem. They grow fast.

I grow mine in large tubs then protect over Winter. One of my favorites...robust, healthy, easy, and FAST!

post-5171-0-82425500-1390859793_thumb.jp

Mine has been in the ground for three years. I planted it from a 7 G pot. No fruit yet.

ig90kl.jpg

Edited by ArchAngeL01

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

That B. bonetti is a cute thing.

Meg

Florida

That B. bonetti is a cute thing.

Which one?

My Butia has tripled in diameter.... They grow pretty fast if you feed them and take care of them well.

May be going to Dallas to visit a friend tomorrow, if so, I'm gonna have no choice but to pick up a Pindo on the way home...question is, would a 15 gallon fruit in the next couple years? The nursery I am looking at sells both 15 and 30 gallon Pindos, but there is no way a 30 gallon would fit in the back of my Ford Taurus. Lol;)

El_Dorado.gif

I's possible, but remember they're really really heavy and it's still winter. Where would you put it until spring? Will you be able to build a large enough enclosure to protect it?

I was thinking next to my Trachy in the basement...it's in a 15 gallon pot as well;)

El_Dorado.gif