IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weird Succulent!

The Silent Seed

Local Lowe's find - never seen one at a box store before - Peperomia ferreyrae ? Senecio ? The stems are throwing me off. Any ideas?

It's in a 6 inch hanging basket, of all things.

post-5700-0-99160000-1390598321_thumb.jp

Edited by santoury

Perhaps some form of Senecio cylindricus?

Looks funky cool, whatever it is.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

It looks like one of those sticks of fire Euphorbia grown in shade. Milky sap? If so, be careful.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Not an Euphorbia. (And for the record; no milky sap.)

Yes, it is funky - I love it. Still not sure what it is.

That is very, very close - yes - but you know what i mean by the trunks throwing me off? They are dark brown. Most succulents like Senecio, etc, have green trunks. What are your trunks like?

Are we still talking about plants?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm always talking about plants...it's pretty ridiculous. Actually I recently thought about walking around my neighborhood knocking on doors and asking people if they wanted some free Aloe thraskii seedlings. I have two flats worth. LOL...I just tried to imagine people's reactions. *awkward*

I'm very socially inept...but it would be kinda neat to walk around and see how much variation there was among the siblings. I think some of them have Aloe vaombe as their other parent. Around 5% of the seedlings have leaves that are noticeably wider and redder. Plus, they put out their second leaves sooner than the others...hybrid vigor perhaps...hopefully.

Maybe I could avoid the awkward interactions by just leaving the seedlings on people's porches. Perhaps I could do this once a year...kinda like a creepy Santa Claus....errrrr...Aloe Claus...wearing a dried Hercules leaf like a necktie? Should we pick one day of the year where we all go around the neighborhood leaving small gift plants on people's porches? Who do we have to call about starting a new national holiday? If anybody left any edibles on my porch I'd have to find somebody to trade with. Unless it was a longan seedling. Or a coconut seedling.

Maybe the bees will bribe me to be Aloe Claus. They LOVE thraskii...it really closely matches their preferences. How many jars of honey would I have to find on my porch in order for me to go around disseminating thraskii to all my neighbors? 5 jars?

Hmmm...I just remembered that when I was growing up...my mom persuaded several of the neighbors to plant Jacarandas as street trees...and she even paid for some of them. She's long gone but the trees are still there...blooming so nicely...and then making a mess.

Has anybody else left a noticeable green thumbprint on their neighborhood? I wonder who left their green thumbprint on my neighborhood...the street trees are really really tall Washingtonia robustas. It's no joke when their dead fronds fall!

If I disseminated thraskii to my neighbors...once they were large enough...it would be super cool to leave this miniature orchid on people's porches. In this zoomed out photo you can see that it's growing on an Aloe. That would be my green thumbprint...a neighborhood with a bunch of miniature orchids growing all over a bunch of tree Aloes.

Or Senecio archeri 'Himalaya'

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 3 years later...