IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Retiring to SoCal , Are there afforable homes?

JEFF IN MODESTO

My wife and I have been talking about moving to SoCal, most likely San Diego county, once I retire from my job of 35 years. ( semi retire, im only in my early 50's)

The prices of houses in Modesto are cheap, compared to SoCal, averaging only about 160k here.

So what is a reasonable price can I expect to find an average house in safe neighborhood? How about a small piece of land?

I know close to the coast is more expensive , are there cities inland that are good places to grow palms and also have reasonable prices.?

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

There are cetainly pockets of affordable. But you have to hunt for them. You may have better luck in San Diego for inland palmy places than OC or LA. But I am generalizing.

I know there are probably agents on the forum here. But if you want, I will give you the name and number of the guy I work with for real estate. He's very competent and hustles like no one I've ever seen.

That's what I was thinking.

I'm a year or so away from actually retiring, so I wanted to get an idea .

Rafael.... Only a palm nut like us would actually take this into consideration. But yes, If I go it stays.

But I would give someone the opportunity to transplant it.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Jeff:

A lot depends on exactly where you go.

The closer to the coast, anywhere, the more expensive. Way way more expensive.

My cousin owned a house in Huntington Beach which she sold for all cash in 1986 for $150k: according to Zillow.com, the same place is now about $700K, and it's a small house on a tiny lot.

If you're looking for something priced like Modesto, you'll likely find something in the Inland Empire, Riverside, etc. However, you'll also have to contend with cold, wind, etc., though you can still do better than Modesto.

If you can handle high high heat, you might want to look in the Palm Springs area. For your purposes, I'd forget about places like Lancaster in the High Desert -- much much too cold, like the moon. Among many other problems.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You missed the boat.

2 years ago was the time to buy.

now its up 35% in 18 months

nothing is going to be cheap anymore.

it was a small window of opportunity (3 years 2008 to 2011) never to come back again

Edited by trioderob

You missed the boat.

2 years ago was the time to buy.

now its up 35% in 18 months

nothing is going to be cheap anymore.

it was a small window of opportunity (3 years 2008 to 2011) never to come back again

Historic low prices with interest rates to match. But not all hope is lost.

There are lots of places between 3-4K around my hill in Spring Valley that have some land and a great microclimate. Safe? eh. so so.

Look at the hills that rim around El Cajon, Crest, Alpine, Fletcher Hills, Lakeside, Jamul. Elevation is the key.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

If my memory serves, San Diego County has a limit on how many new dwelling units can be built in the entire county of something like 2,000 units per year, after a referendum was passed in dinosaurian times.

I hope that law's no longer in effect, or it's been modified.

You might have a buildable lot, but be unable to get permission to build.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I live in santee. We have the lowest crime rate in San Diego last time I checked but it could be differ t now. House here were low about 4 years ago. I got mine for 320k and now it appraised for 435k. Still deals out here though. Down side is that I probably get the lowest temps in San Diego and the highest temps in summer. A few frosts a year are normal so there are thing I can't grow that others can less than 5 miles away.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I know nothing about SoCal, but you can buy a lot of land in rural Puerto Rico for much less than all the dollars mentioned here. And no worries about frost ever again.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I have friends, both working and retired, in Puerto Rico, in the Mayaguez area. They love it there. Gorgeous scenery and climate, lots of horticulture, good soil and nice people. You can buy a house and a big piece of land and bank the rest of your money for a high quality of life. You can ditch the California drought-restrictions and traffic, and as Cindy pointed out, no frost to worry about. Just coconuts, breadfruit and just about anything else you would like to grow.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Lol.... Missed the boat? Prices are on there way up here.

My house in 2006 was appraised at $379,000... when the prices tanked,2008 my house woulda been hard pressed to sell for 100k, its back up close to $179,000.... Which is still a bargain, considering the mort payment is almost half that a renter would pay. I have a feeling prices wont stabilize, till all of those people who walked away from there homes.... have paid top dollar buying a new one.... There are selling like hotcakes here in Motown especially to SF bay communters, who would rather own large newer house for half the bayarea.price.... and low crime!

Anyway.... Im sure things will change again, buy the im ready to retire... just putting the feelers out.

I would mind renting a place right on the beach first...to get my bearings and enjoy the mild climate before the reality sets in.

How much does a healthy specimen Dypsis decipiens with 4 ft of clean trunk. go for any way? In case I had to dig it up? :badday:

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Lol.... Missed the boat? Prices are on there way up here.

My house in 2006 was appraised at $379,000... when the prices tanked,2008 my house woulda been hard pressed to sell for 100k, its back up close to $179,000.... Which is still a bargain, considering the mort payment is almost half that a renter would pay. I have a feeling prices wont stabilize, till all of those people who walked away from there homes.... have paid top dollar buying a new one.... There are selling like hotcakes here in Motown especially to SF bay communters, who would rather own large newer house for half the bayarea.price.... and low crime!

Anyway.... Im sure things will change again, buy the im ready to retire... just putting the feelers out.

I would mind renting a place right on the beach first...to get my bearings and enjoy the mild climate before the reality sets in.

How much does a healthy specimen Dypsis decipiens with 4 ft of clean trunk. go for any way? In case I had to dig it up? :badday:

Well, if you're gonna do it, better do it fast. The prices in the Central Valley may collapse thanks to the drought and the inevitable rise in unemployment that will follow. They're already talking about laying fallow a solid 300K acres of Central Valley farmland. The drought is already having effects as ranchers are selling off their livestock and horses to slaughterhouses due to the lack of grass. The hardest hit areas economically will be the Central Valley and the Salinas Valley.

Jeff,

If you and your wife have your minds set on SoCal, then some of the areas that MattyB is suggesting would probably be where you would want to concentrate your search. And if you're open to new and daring ideas, then the Hilo side of the Big Island has some great deals. You can get a very nice house on an acre (or maybe even two acres) for around $300K in Leilani Estates. OR, you can buy two vacant acres, design and have your own house built for about the same amount of money. And then have fun growing palms (and whatever else you want to grow) in a way that's simply not possible in California. AND, you get to enjoy a very friendly community. :)

Bo-Göran

Oh, it's been my understanding that first you have to buy a house and THEN it becomes a "home".

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo, Those were my thoughts exactly.

The home selling tv shows, Hawaii Life, and Buying in Hawaii has us intrigued .

Especially the Big Island. I saw prices with land cheaper than Modesto.

Ive been to the big Island only once, though I used to live on Oahu back in the mid 70's.

I could really dig waking up on Christmas morning on a humid , sunny 75f day.

Im still a California boy though, back in the 70's I got island fever real bad.

So... you never know.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

A trip to the Big Island might not be a bad idea in order to get a "feel" for what it's like. :) And while there are people who move to the Big Island and then move back to the mainland after a few years, the reason is either that they had difficulties adjusting to a different (and more relaxed) lifestyle OR that they want to be closer to children and grandchildren. I never met anyone who had "island fever" on the Big Island.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Jeff,

If you and your wife have your minds set on SoCal, then some of the areas that MattyB is suggesting would probably be where you would want to concentrate your search. And if you're open to new and daring ideas, then the Hilo side of the Big Island has some great deals. You can get a very nice house on an acre (or maybe even two acres) for around $300K in Leilani Estates. OR, you can buy two vacant acres, design and have your own house built for about the same amount of money. And then have fun growing palms (and whatever else you want to grow) in a way that's simply not possible in California. AND, you get to enjoy a very friendly community. :)

Bo-Göran

Oh, it's been my understanding that first you have to buy a house and THEN it becomes a "home".

:hmm: Hmmmm? what size house can you get for $300K because that sounds like the prescription for a nice retirement! :happy:

Carl

Vista, CA

I'd say in the 1300-1600 sq ft range in Leilani Estates or some of the other nicer subdivisions south of Hilo. Plus an acre of land (typically). Obviously a lot of variability depending on specific location, age and condition of the house and other factors. But as a general guideline I think we are pretty close to reality here. And one of the great aspects - beginning with a new garden and starting from scratch and being able to enjoy incredible results in just a few years. :)

Yours for a steal!

0.15 Acres! (land value $12,500)

1900 sq ft, 5 bedroom house!

All the modern conveniences!

Usually doesn't drop below -10F in the winter!

Always over 100F at least a week each summer!

ONLY $165,000.00

(You could use the rest to build a bitchin' greenhouse!)

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Yours for a steal!

0.15 Acres! (land value $12,500)

1900 sq ft, 5 bedroom house!

All the modern conveniences!

Usually doesn't drop below -10F in the winter!

Always over 100F at least a week each summer!

ONLY $165,000.00

(You could use the rest to build a bitchin' greenhouse!)

Ah, but you save a bundle in heating and cooling costs. The whole time value of money thing would apply though, so you should still have enough for a great green house! :lol2:

Carl

Vista, CA

FL is not Hawaii or SoCal but there are some wicked deals here when compared to those locales. $300k goes a rather long way.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

FL is not Hawaii or SoCal but there are some wicked deals here when compared to those locales. $300k goes a rather long way.

You may be able to buy half of my street on Pine Island for $300k :mrlooney:

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Hmmm

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

No way.

Winters here are pretty much non existent.

I always wonder what people do Oct - May back east.

I mean theres only so much ice fishing, snow mobiling, ice skating and wood chopping someone can do when its cold out.

:yay:

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

No way.

Winters here are pretty much non existent.

I always wonder what people do Oct - May back east.

I mean theres only so much ice fishing, snow mobiling, ice skating and wood chopping someone can do when its cold out.

:yay:

I miss Ice Fishing, I should see if Dad wants to go next month. . .

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

While a few years down the road, one of the reasons I returned to Florida is so I can purchase land/ build my own home. When I was back in San Jo, id often check out land listings here in the Sarasota/Bradenton area, just to see what say 5 acres might cost.

My ideal is to be 10-15 or so miles just east of town which puts you close enough to town, but far enough out that you have some space. Such a location also puts you in a safer spot in the event of a Hurricane... At least from a storm surge/costal evacuation chaos point of view.

Back in San Jose, the same distance is roughly that from say Campbell to Santa Cruz, going the usual route. needless to say, I was shocked at what I found. #1: 5 acres: 42K, #2: 8 acres, with a 1 acre pond, on site: 65K. Even closer to town it isn't hard to find a place with at least an acre or two of land + home already built for under 250K, at least from what I saw listed.

-Nathan-

Nathen.... That sounds great..... Only problem.

Having lived in California for 51 of my 54 years, no way could I get used to the summer heat/humidity in FL.

The lack of biting bugs are another thing us Californians are kinda spoiled about.

:P

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Jeef i have found the perfect place for you and it's for sale !

Comes with towering Hedyscepe , Rhopalostylis , New Caledonian canopy palms

It's been on the market for 4 months so maybe take a hit on price !

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/119-Avenida-Dominguez_San-Clemente_CA_92672_M21900-99191?row=14

Pogobob's old Residence

Cheers Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Pogobob's place illustrates coastal inflation very well. Pogobob fled inland . . . to the wide open spaces.

Troy... I wish!

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Vista California has land, great soil, and you can find some really good prices.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Jastin

You're back

scream

Jeff, was reading this online book about frost protection last night, and while it was describing selecting sites more for agricultural growing, it discussed selecting a planting site using weather charts and topography maps. One way to try to skirt around frost damage is to avoid low spots that collect the cold air using information like this. Sounds like a good idea even for the palm person selecting a new home. I know we have some spots in town that always see low-lying fog under the right conditions, thankfully despite living on the valley floor we didn't end up in one of those locations. Hadn't given it much thought when we bought here. Then again we weren't palm people back then again either. But I would have the same concerns about having a good sited palm yard as you if we were moving.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Good time to move back to Hawaii Jeff :) Pete

I love the house layout.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 2 months later...

Nathen.... That sounds great..... Only problem.

Having lived in California for 51 of my 54 years, no way could I get used to the summer heat/humidity in FL.

The lack of biting bugs are another thing us Californians are kinda spoiled about.

:P

Jeff

Biting sounds like an exaggeration.

At least in Illinois, it's really like more of a stinging, or piercing. Of course you may get a dozen at once, but the frantic swatting is disorienting and really takes your mind off of the pain. The horse flies, that's more of a gouging. The ticks and leeches (whatever kingdom leeches belong to) don't hurt at all.