IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Night of Palms, Hula, & BBQ

realarch

Join us on February 7th at 5:00 PM at Aunty Sally's Luau Hale in Hilo, for the Annual Hawai'i Island Palm Society's annual BBQ and rare palm auction.

This year HIPS celebrates it's 40th anniversary and plans to kick off 2014 with Hula, BBQ chicken teriyaki or vegetarian lasagna, Silent Auction, and a 'Not so Silent Auction.' There will be well over 100 unusual and rare palms to bid on, some come prepared for some spirited competition.

Cost for members is $12 and for non members $15. We are also offering a one time anniversary T-shirt for sale.

Halau Na Wahine A Na Kane Punahele 'O Ka Pu'uwai will perform during dinner. Kumu Hula: Iwalani Woo-O'brien.

See our website for details. hawaiiislandpalmsociety.com

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

Sounds like lots of fun and I'm looking forward to the entire event, including the teriyaki chicken! :) It was getting a bit old and repetitive with the "standard" chicken after who knows how many years! :mrlooney: Thanks for taking the initiative to something different.

Bo-Göran

PS - minor detail - it says $13 (not $12) on the HIPS invitation/order form I received in the mail.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Aloha Bo, and yes, it is $13. Thanks for pointing that out. Should be a great evening.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Spirited auction???? Guilty as charged.....

The thing we love most about the annual dinner is being around so many other palm people.

Mike and I looked at the new T shirt on the HIPS website. It's the best one ever.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

The HIPS BBQ, which took place this evening, was an amazing event. About 170 people in attendance (a big time record), and Tim and all the other volunteers had done a fantastic job organizing the event. Dinner (teriyaki chicken) was great with a Hula Halau performing while we enjoyed our dinner and the auction was fun and exciting with lots of bidding (and I even ended up with three palms! :) ). I'm happy to report that Tim will remain as President of HIPS for another year (and all the other Officers as well).

Great job Tim, Bob, Ken and all the others who were part of this! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks a lot Bo, glad to see you there and for all the positive comments. One more year and it's going to go by fast for sure.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii