IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Proper technique for pouring copper fungicide into the bud?

Sandy Loam

To anyone who can provide advice ---

I keep reading about how one should pour copper fungicide into the palm bud after a freeze to prevent damage. However, I fail to understand how this works. The bud is not exposed! It is deep beneath the tissue, isn't it? I don't see how it is possible to pour or spray copper fungicide into an area that is not accessible without "surgery". Please advise me on your own techniques, if possible. I am primarily trying to do this to a crownshaft palm (the growth point on a crownshaft palm looks different from most of my other palms).

I would be grateful if anyone would be willing to post photos demonstrating how they do this, although I acknowledge that this is a lot to ask.

Many thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

You are not worried about the part of the bud that is protected by a positive seal (for lack of better term) that keeps bad things out. You are worried about the newest parts exposed to the elements that were damaged. Once fungus is able to get in there it will work its way down into the heart. So just mix the fungicide (I use copper and Daconil) and poor it into the crown. Both are contact killers. If things are looking really bad you might hit it with a systemic too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

SL:

I concur with Len, and suggest that putting some peroxide in the bud is a good idea, a day or two before the fungicide.

Let us know how your situation resolves. Your situation and its resolution will be part of the knowledge base that will help all of us.

Post some pictures if you can!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 4 years later...

Although I should have done this back in January when we had our back-to-back freezes, I finally got around to spraying some copper fungicide into the bud areas of a few "tender" palms that took a big hit three months ago.  I couldn't figure out how to do it in a way that would allow the fungicide to make contact with the bud.  I would kind of push the spear to the side and squirt the liquid copper fingicide down whatever crack I could find. Is that what I was supposed to do?  The bud is basically sealed off, so I can't simply push the sprear to the side and drench the bud/growth point.  I feel as though I wasn't accomplishing what I set out to do.  Did I screw up?  I appreciate any advice that you can give.

At this point, some of my most affected palms (all crownshaft palms) are either going to die or survive. I can see that a couple of the pseudophoenix sargentii and archontophoenix cunninghamiana are beginning to push out new green growth at the base of the spear.  Yet others are not, and presumably won't if they haven't starting producing new growth by now, right?  It's mid-April.

I haven't done anything to mine because I thought all was well. My archontophoenix cunninghamiana pushed out a full size frond, but after it pushed through I saw the tip of the next one and it pulled out this weekend.  Not sure if it will survive or not.  It is quite large and looks good, I was quite surprised by this.  Same thing happened with one of my Beccariophoenix alfredii.  The first frond pushed through unscathed but the second one looks damaged, although it didn't pull out.

Lou St. Aug, FL

Weird.  I have no clue what's going on there, Lou.  Maybe someone else on PalmTalk will know. 

I have tugged on all of my spears and none will pull out, except for a ponytail palm and some very juvenile stuff that was newly planted (stupidly on my part) immediately before the two January freezes.  (My cold-hardy palms, like Queens, Phoenix, Livistona, etc, were not damaged at all, so I didn't even try to pull their spears.) Yet I have never heard of a spear growing out healthy followed by another spear that tugs right out.

@Sandy Loam This winter ended up producing a lot of unexpected results.  Regarding your original question as far as technique for pouring fungicide, I used the spray bottle and spray it down into the crown while moving the then-attached spear out of the way in each direction.  After the spear pulled, it was a pretty easy target to hit.  I used peroxide a day before the fungicide in the case of my archontophoenix alexandrae.  I'm going with an 80/20 that it will be heading to the mulch pile, but we'll see how surgery goes.  Sorry I can't be of more help, but this is my rookie experience with using peroxide and fungicide in an attempt to save a specimen palm that was healthy and pushing spears as well. 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Same here. I applied liquid copper fungicide to both roots and spear on my late Jamaican tall coco. But alas, I was too late. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I am about three months too late, I suspect.  However, I will wait this one out because I have seen cold-damaged palms come back a year or more after the damage.  I will just remain patient and keep my fingers crossed.

I have never heard about applying fungicide to the roots, by the way.

I just hit an area on a Pritchardia Hilldebrandii with hydrogen Peroxide that had a spot of the dreaded pink stuff.  Cleaned it right up and luckily no necrotic tissue.  Thanks for this great tip!

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

• 6 months later...

I had suspected possible pink rot on the leaf base of an Archontophoenix Maxima so I sprayed it good with hydrogen peroxide. However it burnt the heck out of the leaf base which on that side is now a burnt pink/brown like a sun burn which is a bummer because i recently pulled off an old leaf and it will be a while before this one is ready to come off. Will be a couple months before I can enjoy the beautiful turquoise green color again.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Same, my instructions say 4-6tbsp of fungicide to 1 gallon water. But how much of that do I put down into the crown? 
I have Texas sables, pindos and Phoenix palms that I am worried about after the snow storm that hit Texas. The center are strong but they look so moist! My local nursery is the one that suggested to pour  fungicide inside the crown but just to follow the instructions on the bottle. Unfortunately the bottle just says how to spray the outside. Any advice?

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how much either. I use a pump sprayer and just drench it with copper fungicide. Got a baby that was planted last summer and an older one (both Mexican palms) that look like they're going to make it. The rest of them even though they was planted 6 years ago not sure that they're going to make it.